sex after serious tear

Discussion in 'Postnatal Support' started by gingerbaby4us, Oct 11, 2013.

1. gingerbaby4us

gingerbaby4us new momma

TMI...my vagina split open like a ripe tomato during the recent birth of my second daughter. The doctor was down there with his serious face on for ages sewing me up. I asked him if it went all the way from my vagina to my butthole and he said, "almost." The recovery was more difficult than I expected. It has been three weeks, I can't believe it's only three more before I can have sex again. Which I am terrified about. So I guess my question is....What is sex like after a serious tear? My husband likes to make the "throwing a hotdog down a hallway joke." But seriously, was sex ever okay again? I really liked sex a lot.

2. teal

teal Well-Known Member

Sounds like a second degree tear if dr said "almost" ?

I had a 4th degree tear and a separate episiotomy and sex is absolutely fine although I didn't have sex until after a year because I was still in a good bit of pain and didn't feel ok-ish until then. I was terrified the first time post baby but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. I did have to take it slow first few times but it gets better :hugs: xx

3. Smiler82

Smiler82 Well-Known Member

Wow teal a year...! I had a 3rd degree tear. We waited for my 6 week check and was told I was ok. So we tried to have sex a few days ago, but we had to stop as it hurt too much :( I don't know if maybe nerves were part of it, but I did really want to so was disappointed we couldn't. DH has been so patient bless him, we only had sex about 3 times when I was pregnant! I think it will be ok but just need more time than I was expecting.

4. laila 44

laila 44 Well-Known Member

O-m-g!! Hats off to you ladies. That must be extremely painful, I can't imagine... Hope u feel better soon xx