Share all your handy tips for mums!

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by sarahjanek88, Aug 21, 2009.

1. sarahjanek88

sarahjanek88 Well-Known Member

I thought it would be a good idea to share all your practical tips for others when it comes to feeding, weaning, nappies, sleeping, bath time, anything else etc. to make our lives a little easier!! God knows we need it and sometimes our own mothers do come up with a good idea or too, as much as we try not to listen :rofl: :rofl:

I'll start with a few...

1. When changing a nappy (esp with a little boy) open the nappy up but hold it shut for 10 seconds before starting. Sometimes the bladder goes to town after the pressure release lol.

2. If you usually change a nappy after a feed (and still use cotton wool) use the water you used to heat up the bottle - it's usually the right temperature by then!

3. Fed up with mitts falling off? Buy sleepsuits with built in mitts - they are a godsend!!

4. If your LO struggles to settle in his cot/moses basket, try heating a hot water bottle and sitting it in the cot or moses basket for a little while, before putting the baby in. Usually works like a charm cos they love the comforting warmth.

5. If you want to check on a sleeping baby without switching on the light, shine a torch up at the ceiling. It will cast just enough light for you to see them, without disturbing them. (I usually do this for nightime nappy changes so LO can go back to sleep easy!)

6. Also, during nightime feeds/changes don't talk to ur LO and keep the light low as you can. You and baby should fall back asleep quickly without any fuss. This is good to teach the baby that night is different from day and a time for sleep.

Anybody have any more??

2. Kiree

Kiree proud mammy of 2 boys

If your baby doesn't like tummy time, lie on the floor with them on your chest. Its the same thing but they don't seem to mind.

Get tomorrows stuff sorted the night before, and get the pjs and bath stuff ready before you need them on a night time.

Keep a box of tissues handy when changing a little boy - pop a tissue over his bits incase he pees, it stops it going in your face!

3. porkypig

porkypig Well-Known Member

If you bottle feed and use cartons, get yourself a mini fridge (20 quid from Argos) to keep your sterilised bottles and any opened cartons. it saves you from going downstairs in the middle of the night when youre knackered as you'll have it just by your bed xx

4. BeckaJayne

BeckaJayne Well-Known Member

When your cutting their nails do it whilst they're asleep its so much easier.

5. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

if your baby hates being in the car, fix some pictures to the back seat for them to look at. works a treat for us!

put your baby down for a nap as soon as they start yawning, don't let them get over tired!

6. Hope22

Hope22 Mom of 1 beautiful boy

If all the basics (food, diaper, etc.) are taken care of and you're going nuts walking the floor with a crying baby, sometimes a mirror can stop the shrieking. Darwin used to snap out of a cranky mood in seconds if he saw his reflection!

Join the formula companies' baby clubs online - I took a few minutes to fill out a couple little forms and ended up with two free diaper bags, free formula, change pads, a free bottle with liners, and the coupons keep on coming. He's eight months old and I'm still getting $5 off coupons from Similac. Even if you don't use the formula/coupons, you can pass it on to another mom who is bottle feeding, or a food bank. Enfamil, Similac and Playtex (bottles) all have free giveaways that are definitely worth the time it takes to fill out a form!

Snugabye sleepers last longer (for us, anyway) than others. They've got cuffs that convert into feet, so they work in any season, and if your baby has big feet like ours they'll fit longer. Darwin has sleepers that fit in the body, but he can't wear them any more because the built-in feet are too small! The Snugabye sleepers' cuffs can be worn long or rolled up, giving you another 2" to play with, so tall babies get more wear out of them.

Some babies hate silicone - this one took us a while to figure out. Darwin refused any pacifier, teether, or bottle until we tried rubber. Silicone is harder, colder, and smells different. He still dislikes rubber, but he'll take it if it's warmed up. Silicone gets spit out with a look of disgust! Of course he prefers boobie to anything else, but there are times when it's heaven to be able to give him a soother instead so I'm glad we figured this one out.

Sometimes a fan can soothe a crying baby - worked for ours, anyway. He'd be screaming for no reason we could figure out, but holding and bouncing him in front of the air conditioner (set on fan, not a/c) would make him stop crying and even smile.

Warm the bathroom up before you give the baby a bath. If you've got a heater in the room, turn it on for a bit before you run the bath, or turn the oven on to warm the kitchen up a bit if you're giving baby a bath in the kitchen sink (we used to time his baths with making supper). Taking them out of the water in a warm room means they won't shiver, they'll stay relaxed, and won't cry after the bath!

Don't let a visitor disrupt your routine - I'm still learning this one :S If it's nap time, it's nap time. If it's bath time, it's bath time. If it's meal time... well, you get it. I made the mistake of allowing a visitor to play with Darwin through his lunch time and into nap time. She left, and I got a cranky, hungry, overtired baby.

The best advice I ever got? Listen to your heart, your gut, and everything else - whether it's from a book, a relative, TV, whatever - comes second. You're the mommy, you have instincts, and you know what works best for your baby.

7. Kitten

Kitten Mummy to Theakston & Nyah

On the nail clipping I use an emery board, well, it's a soft version, it's a cube from M&S with like one side for 'even out' another for 'buff' etc., he doesn't even notice and there's no risk of accidents!

8. spacecadet

spacecadet 1st time mum

NEVER change your baby without putting something down first, especially on your bed (my OH will never learn this!)

also NEVER leave the house without the rain cover or it will rain hailstones when there was previously clear blue skies!!

9. Nemo and bump

Nemo and bump mummy of 1 daughter

i found the first few weeks things were everywhere, wipes in one place, nappies in another etc so we have a box we call the day box. it has all the wipes nappies bibs muslins baby lotion cotton buds etc in it so its all together. we also put her clothes ofr next day in it and her night stuff ready. for us it really help. saves running round the house like an idiot.

10. channy3232

channy3232 Well-Known Member

I always have two diaper bags pretty much packed at all times. I just add a burp cloth bottle and change of clothes. One bag is bigger and has more stuff. This one would be for a day at the grandparents. The other one is smaller and just has a few diapers wipes, change of clothes. This one would be for a few hours of shopping.

I just recently started doing this one and it's great. I always have TWO tubs of baby wipes ready. One is on the dresser next to the changing table. That's the one we use when we change him. The other one is already full with a new pack of wipes in it and I keep it on the shelf under the changing table. I started doing this when I was in the middle of a poopy diaper change and used the last wipe and needed more! I had to cover him up hoping he didn't squirm into his poop, then I used the straps to strap him onto the table. And then run to the closet to get more wipes.
    This way I just grab the new tub. Then I refil the empty one and put it on the shelf and just keep rotating them!!

11. Fern.x

Fern.x Guest

if your baby always screams for their feed after bath time offer them ii before and give them a little top up after worked for me :)
    when you are doing the night feeds have everything close by.. i kept the bottle warmer next to my bed a bottle and a pot of formula saves having to run down stairs and a little box at the side with baby wipes nappies change of sleepsuit and bum creams, when you have finshed feeding and changing LO put them back in the moses basket and turn off all lights and they should hopefully fall asleep this helps when they start to sleep through worked great for us
    If FF keep spare ready to use cartons in case of emergencies sometimes through lack of sleep i used to forget to make up a bottle lol
    Dont let people tell you whats best for your LO only you know whats best, if you feel something isnt right then you get it checked

12. penguin77

penguin77 Pround mummy of 2 :-)

Put LO in the sleeping bag ready for bed before the last feed..so if he falls asleep you can put him straight in his cot. I found putting it on after a feed turned a relaxed and calm baby into an agitated and not ready for bed baby. I just make sure i cover the sleeping bag with a muslin sq just in case of any serious possetting or drips from the bottle going over the bag.

xx

13. claire23

claire23 Well-Known Member

Love this thread! xx

14. Hope22

Hope22 Mom of 1 beautiful boy

Just thought of another one - this one came from my best girlfriend, learned from her mother.

No matter how small your space is (unless it's one room), it's a good idea to have a basket with diapering essentials that you can keep somewhere other than the usual changing area. It's inevitable that at some point your LO is going to have a runny poop in the living room while they're in the Jolly Jumper, or throw up on the dining room floor, and you won't have time to run anywhere for supplies. Keeping them in a basket means you can move the supplies with you. Going to the basement to play and watch a video? Spending time in the spare room, or hanging out in the living room? Everything you need is right there, no running required :D

15. adzuki

adzuki Mom to Miss M.

I do my night time changes by headlamp - that way our place remains completely dark, and my LO is already used to the routine - when mommy has her funny headlight on, it is time for food at night. Mine actually has a "red" setting, so there are no bright lights, just an ambient red. Crossing all fingers, but so far, it has helped her to settle in right after a feed - and the best part is that both my hands are free!

:)
    A

16. whiby

whiby Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap lamp and put it in the hallway so we turn that on when we are sorting LO out in the night - his light is on a dimmer but its still too bright when you don't want him to wake up! the light from the hall is just enough for us to see by but not enough to disturb him :)

17. aimee-lou

aimee-lou Totally Outnumbered!!

Thank you for all the tips! I will be returning to this thread!!!! :flower:

18. Donna35

Donna35 Guest

I bought 2 cheap plastic baskets from Wilkinson - one is permanently in the sitting room and the other in the bedroom and each has a packet of nappies, pk of wipes, cotton wool, nappy sacks, baby powder and cream in it as well as a changing mat so that no matter where we are his stuff is there ready for a change.

I also have all of the above packed in his changing bag so we're ready to go out at a minutes notice.

I learnt the thing with the baskets from observing my sister - what NOT to do - whenever she'd change her LO she'd have to get my 9yr old nephew to run about the house fetchng wipes or nappies or whatever. I swore then that I wouldn't do this - apart from the fact that I'm pure lazy :rofl: it just makes better sense:thumbup:

19. sublime_ivy

sublime_ivy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any tips for babies with a bad startle reflex?

20. sarahjanek88

sarahjanek88 Well-Known Member

My LO startles himself quite a lot. At sudden noises, or one of his favourite is when I sit him down on the changing mat, which wasn't very good because he'd soon end up inconsolible when I was changing his nappy. I soon learned that because it had a plastic cover it was quite cold for him. Now I have a towel or blanket over it so I'm not putting him straight on a cold surface. (It's great for soaking up any pee too - and stops it from running back onto his clothes!)

As for the noises, there's nothing we can do. Worse thing would be to tip toe round baby because they will have to get used to the sudden noises eventually.

One morning my OH sneezed and ours woke up with a fright - poor thing lol!