She's always unhappy, and its starting to make me unhappy.

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by FayDanielle, Jan 27, 2011.

1. FayDanielle

FayDanielle Mia's Mummy <3

Mia is ALWAYS unhappy, unless Im holding her and walking around.
    She just cries in her jumperoo, her bumbo, with her toys, with anyone else, even if Im sat down with her, she just cries.

The only time she is ever not crying is when Ive got hold of her and walking around with her.
    Its starting to get me really down as I feel like a bad mum because shes never happy.
    I'm a very materialistic person, she has everything a baby could possibly need, but nothing makes her happy :(

I change her, try feeding her, wind her, but nope, she just wants to be walked around, and by me. No-one else or she screams blue murder.
    Its starting to make day to day life VERY difficult, I cant wash bottles, I cant make bottles, I cant go for a wee.
    I cant do anything without her crying and crying :(

I dont know what it is, or how to help.
    any ideas, advice? Just words of support would help.
    :cry:

2. aob1013

aob1013 Guest

Materialistic things don't matter to babies :thumbup:

Have you thought about a sling?

3. FayDanielle

I have one, but she doesnt like it unless we're out!
    If we're at home, she likes to be help upright.
    x

4. aob1013

aob1013 Guest

Give it a go hun, maybe it will work? I put Leni on his tummy to play a few times a day and loves it. About 20 mins he will lie there x

5. FayDanielle

I'm going to give tummy time a go, see how she is :thumbup:
    Thanks x

6. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

It's the age more than anything hon. They go through some rather big developmental leaps between 3-5 ish months where their whole perception of the world gets tipped upside down with changes. It's understandably unsettling and they cry and get crabby, and they want to cling to what's safe and comforting, which is you. No amount of "things" will ever be good enough to replace you in that sense.

I know how very tiring and frustrating and upsetting it is, but the investment in your time and company now with her to be there for her, comfort her and give her reassurance that when she really needs you will pay off in spades when she develops her independence, knowing that you are there for her.

It seems like a miserable eternity right now, but one day you're going to be doing the dishes in the kitchen and wonder where your baby girl is because she's quiet and not clinging to your leg, and see her sitting contentedly playing with a bowl and wooden spoon, and you're actually going to miss those days when you were her all and everything. :hugs:

7. special_kala

special_kala love my bugs

id get a baby carrier. its irly normal for your los age to be like that, shes still pretty itty bitty

8. FayDanielle

Haha I actually had a bit of a giggle at this, thanks :)

Its been like this since day 1 though, its just never really upset me as I thought Oh she'll grow out of it, its because shes a newborn and she suffered really bad acid reflux, and lactose intolerance, but slowly its starting to get to me, as I expected her to be sort of entertaining herself more, obviously not sat up reading a book or anything but happy, in her jumperoo or something for even 5 minutes whilst I manage to get her bottles done!

I know you're right that she'll grow out of it :flower:

9. Odd Socks

Odd Socks Mummy to 2 girls.

i've had times like this (the first 3 months, bella only wanted to be held, mainly by me) & the moby wrap was a godsend (i even went to the loo wearing her!).
    think of it this way, you must be an amazing mummy because she just wants to be with you!
    xx

10. FayDanielle

I've also got a moby wrap, which she HATES! So thats collecting dust in the cupboard!

I never thought of it like that ;) lol. Thanks :flower:

11. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

I agree with Hivechild. In fact as I was reading, I was thinking 'I bet this baby is about 3 months old' then I scrolled down to your ticker and she is. It's just sooo normal at this age, Ruby wanted constant entertainment or to be involved in everything.

Actually a little trick I found was that she would be happy not being held as long as she was at the same level as me, e.g her bouncy chair on the kitchen side while I cooked.

12. hivechild

hivechild Mummy to Ronan

Ronan was the same way, including with the reflux. He got held so much because i had to keep him upright after feeds and he fed a lot. I couldn't even put him down for naps but then he just kinda started wanting to be down and exploring more and these days he's a whirling dervish of activity!

13. babyjiva

babyjiva 1st baby

i woulda guessed reflux. my lo is the same. it's exhausting. hugs to you, but remember she might be in extreme discomfort and needs you ALL the time.

14. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

3 months is definently one of the worst times, they want all the stimulation but they can't process it, along with reflux. Stick to it for a few more weeks, 4 months is really quite a turning point. For us, reflux is gone at 7 months. Good luck, you're doing great. I had PND from Alex's colic, reflux, constant crying, no sleeping, fussyness... so it's totally normal to feel unhappy when they are unhappy. No mother can be happy when her baby is hurting.

15. tu123

tu123 Well-Known Member

Exactly!! YOU are her comfort.

Some of my friends with LOs and i myself have said the same thing too. But, hopefully it wil pass. My LO is about the same age and is starting to have more "happy" times.

I would also try another baby carrier for in the house, like others have suggested. Worth a shot:thumbup:

16. Lena

Lena Guest

My LO didn't start to properly play with anything til he was about 4 months old. He just sort of looked at things and batted at them every now and then. You will see a MASSIVE change in her soon, I promise! Around 4 months he went from being a baby to a proper cheeky little boy and his personality started to show through. Nathan was very colicky the first 3 months and just cried, cried, cried so i definatly know how you feel. I'm not advocating drinking with babies but when I say he cried alot I mean A LOT so i would sit in the rocking chair rocking him in one arm and having a white wine lemonade in the other (just 1 or 2 a night). I called it 'happy hour', :haha: It really did relax me.

She will get better. Big hugs.

17. katzone

katzone Mummy to two!

My dd is the same, wants to be with me or DH all the time (no-one else, she will scream the house down if someone else holds her), held facing out lol, can't have her facing inwards, has to be outwards. :wacko:
    She will sometimes have 15-20 mins nappy off time where she will be happy but the rest of the day it is screaming and crying unless being carried around as I described.
    I really hope she starts to grow out of it soon, I don't remember any of this from when DS was this age. It makes life very hard. :hugs:

18. Lena

Lena Guest

Awwwwe, sorry hun, but i did laugh cause on your avatar she is being held exactly as you described, hehe.

19. chubbin

chubbin Proud mum of one

My LO has some days like youve described, and then he comes out of it with a tooth or a new skill, and is much happier. When he is like you describe, I feel at my wit's end and start to feel desperate, and this is usually the point at which things settle down again. I would also add that I didnt use a wrap for the first 4 months, mine also gathered dust in the drawer. Then myself and OH started to use it with LO, and now I couldnt be without it - it's a huge help on the hard days especially :) xx

20. venusrockstar

venusrockstar ~Aspiring Photographer~

Bella was like this in the beginning too. It seemed like all she ever did was cry. She didn't really get out of that phase until she was about 4 months old and then was a lot more interested in exploring her toys and doing tummy time etc. She is content to play for hours now on the floor with her toys.