Shingles

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by awefulfeeling, Jan 25, 2011.

1. awefulfeeling

awefulfeeling Well-Known Member

My sister inlaw just told me that she thinks she has shingles... I saw her this weekend and she didn't have an out break then...

If she doesn have them is there any reason for me to be concerned of contracting it?

2. stucknthecity

stucknthecity Pregnant with # 1 !

If you were in close contact with her bare skin or saliva then you should notify your Doctor. A co-worker of mines wife just came down with these last week but so far he has not gotten them. So you can be in close quarters with someone without catching them but being pregnant your immune system is lower so touching their skin or saliva could put you at a bigger risk than a non pregnant.

3. emk10

emk10 Who knows!!!!!!!

Did you have chicken pox as a child?? If so you should be fine. I've been in contact with shingles myself and mentioned it to my midwife. She said if i'd had it i'd be ok. But to contact her if I got any signs of it myself x x

4. awefulfeeling

Thank you for the response, she didn't have an outbreak then but do you know if she could have had it in her system before the outbreak?

5. awefulfeeling

I would have only had contact with her skin from hugging.

6. awefulfeeling

Its sad but I don't even know, I'd have to ask my mom

7. emk10

emk10 Who knows!!!!!!!

Try not to worry too much, I think its only contagious if you're in contact with the actual sores. But just look out for any symptoms and if you get any contact your health care provider straightaway as theres meds they can give you x

8. awefulfeeling

Thank you!! Will do. I appreciate the advise!:thumbup:

9. emk10

emk10 Who knows!!!!!!!

No probs!!! Good luck x

10. lkkha

lkkha Mum to 8

Shingles is only contagious if you are in contact with the actual blisters, it is not an airbourne disease. If you have already had chickenpox then you are at no risk as contact with the shingles blisters can only give you chickenpox, not shingles. You can't 'catch' shingles, it is a reactivation of the chickenpox virus that lays dormant in your body until it is somehow reactivated and appears as shingles.

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Risks.aspx

My youngest daughter had chickenpox at 4 weeks old, then shingles at 16 months. Chances are that you have already had chickenpox, so will be fine, but like I said if you didn't come into contach with any blisters then there is no chance of you catching anything xx

11. MrsPOP

MrsPOP Mummy to Alice

I have to correct you there, chickenpox IS an airborn disease, it can be spread through respiratory secretions in coughs and sneezes.

The chickenpox virus takes 10-14 days of incubation before the blisters appear and the person with them are contagious 4 days before the blisters appear till the blisters scab over.

Please OP check if you've had chickenpox, if you've had it you'll be fine but if you haven't you are at high risk of contracting it. If you haven't had it, call your MW as you should receive VZIG (varicella zoster immunolglobulin) which is an injection that offers high risk people prophlyaxis of developing chickenpox.

I've never had it and am at high risk of coming in to contact with it due to my job, so I will have to have this if it happens.

I'm sure you will have had chickenpox though so you should be fine x

12. lkkha

lkkha Mum to 8

I didn't say that chickenpox wasn't an airborn disease, I know it is, I said shingles isn't. Shingles is only contagious through actual contact with the blisters By being near a person who has shingles, hugging them even having them sneeze over you, they can not pass on chickenpox, it can only be passed on by contact with the shingles blisters unlike chickenpox which, as you say, is spread in those ways.

From the NHS website:
    Risks of shingles
    It is not possible to catch shingles from someone else with the condition. The shingles virus is reactivated from a previous infection with the varicella-zoster virus (the virus that causes chickenpox) and is not transmitted by person-to-person contact.

However, it is possible for someone who has never had chickenpox to catch chickenpox from someone with shingles. In the UK, chickenpox is so common during childhood that 9 out of 10 adults have had it, so will not be affected.

Catching chickenpox
    The blisters (vesicles) that develop as a result of shingles contain virus particles. The virus can be spread through direct contact with the open blisters. If you have not had chickenpox before (usually as a young child), you can catch it from direct contact with:

•the fluid from the blisters of someone who has shingles
    •something that has the fluid on it, such as bed sheets or a towel
    If you have shingles, you are contagious until the last blister has scabbed over. This will usually occur five to seven days after your symptoms started

13. PrayinForBaby

PrayinForBaby Haley's Mommy =)

I had them when I was 17 wks pregnant...they'll give you an antiviral and a med for itching if you have it and then its done and gone in a week...dont sweat it, but if you start having lots of abdominal pain and a rash then go get it checked out.

14. PrayinForBaby

i was around no one...just my weakened immune system triggered an outbreak...and when i say around no one, i didnt work and only saw my husband for a good solid 3 wks before my outbreak. (and he never got them from me either)

15. PrayinForBaby

:nope: see above

16. lkkha

lkkha Mum to 8

Did you have chickenpox or shingles? If it was shingles you had then of course you can get it without being in contact with anyone!! Shingles is a reactivation of the chickenpox virus at a time when your body is run down. It's not something you catch! What I am saying above is, if the OP has already had chickenpox then she can't catch chickenpox from the person with shingles as she will be immune to it, she also can't catch shingles as shingles isn't something you can catch. If it was chickenpox you had then I'm at a loss as to how you caught it, maybe your husband brought the virus home on himself and passed it on to you.

17. MrsPOP

MrsPOP Mummy to Alice

Your quote from the NHS does not say specifically that shingles ISNT an airborne disease because they havent proven 100% that resp secretions of sufferers do not contain the virus. Some recent studies have isolated the herpes zoster virus in the respiratory secretions of patients suffering with shingles, therefore you shouldnt take the chance and current guidelines suggests pregnant women should avoid those with shingles anyway as a matter of course. There are also studies which show shingles can be reactivated in someone if they do come into contact with someone suffering with chickenpox.

18. PrayinForBaby

ok, i gotcha...i thought you were saying she could catch shingles by the blisters....misread then, my bad. I had chickenpox as a small child (maybe 4 yrs old) but I got shingles for no rhyme or reason other than being pregnant and my immune system not being as strong as I wasn't around ANYONE sick at all and my husband actually works in a sterile environment so that if anyone is sick you can't go to work so its not like he brought a cold to me or anything to make it worse.