Shingles?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Eelis, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Eelis

Eelis Well-Known Member

My silly sister has gone and got shingles. It's my birthday today (26 woowoo!) and I was hoping to see her tonight, but some people have told me I shouldn't see her as she might be a danger to mum/baby. She's only got a small patch I understand and she is feeling much better now than she was a week ago when she first got it.

I was thinking of phoning a midwife to check but does anyone here know anything about it?

2. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Speak to your midwife. Shingle is the adult form of chicken pox, which is very harmfull to pregnant women. Although if you had chicken pox as a child you are ment to be imune its not 100% so it might still carry a risk. So I would seek medical advice first and certainly check as to what family members have had chicken pox before, in case she passes it on yor your mum or someone who you also come into contact with.

3. Imi

Imi .

I've always been informed to stay away as you can still get it ...

Think you would be advised to stay away until she is no longer contageous!

xxx

4. Eelis

Eelis Well-Known Member

Hmm midwife said it was ok to see her. She said as I have had Chickenpox I will be fine and that in turn will protect the baby (although bizzarely my other half has had chickenpox twice :s). Being quite a few weeks into pregnancy helps by sounds of it too.

Plus it will only be for about an hour and I want some birthday cake! :happydance: