• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Short Term Disability Insurance to Cover Maternity Leave

bluecanary487

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently TTC and I'm thinking about buying short-term disability insurance to cover my maternity leave once I do get pregnant (I live in the US, where we get 90 days of unpaid maternity leave). I know that usually you can only cash in the policy if you weren't already pregnant when you bought it, which is why I'm looking into it now, while we're still TTC. Has anyone else done this? If so, what company did you use and did you use? I've heard a lot of negative things about Aflac and Mutual of Omaha, so I'm looking into Metlife or American Family Insurance. Has anyone had any experience with either of those companies?

Yes, you should sign up if you plan on being pregnant in the next yr. Once you're already pregnant you wont qualify, which is wrong in my opinion. Mine was through work, and they made it available to everyone who has a baby without signing up, so I'm not sure who it was through. Our health benifits are through atnea so it may have been them.

The way it worked for me was I got 66% of my pay for 6 wks following a vaginal delivery or 8 wks cesarean. The first week after I had the baby is considered an "elimination week" during which I would have to use my own sick time or take unpaid. So, I actually only got 5 weeks of short term disabilty pay, no one told me about this. The other 6 weeks I took as vacation time that I had saved up. I worked right up until delivery, so I was at least partially paid the whole 3 months I was out. If I want another baby in the next yr or so I wont have that luxary though, as I only have like 2 wks of vacation time saved up. Therefore, I will probably only take 10 wks off for the second one :(

I'm hoping the US will eventually adopt a mandated maternity leave. I know so many people who had to return to work right after they had a baby. It's not right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"