Should I be mad?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Club' started by genkigemini, Apr 26, 2009.

1. genkigemini

genkigemini Jack-Jack's Mommy

Okay, so since the day I told my employer that I was pregnant, they have been terrible to me. I have said that they are looking for any reason to demote me. (I am currently the accounting manager for our small company.)

So, late last week, the two owners called me into a meeting and basically told me that the stress as accounting manager is too great for a pregnant woman and they they need someone in office all the time so they could not accommodate any maternity leave that I may want to take. So, they decided that they were going to hire someone new as the accounting manager and demote me down to entry level customer service. The catch is that they are going to keep my pay the same.

So, I will be doing an entry level data entry job for the same pay I was making as accounting manager. (A darn good salary for Alaskan standards.) Also, by taking this deal, I can have a long mat leave if I want it.

I KNOW what they are doing to be is illegal and my DH is pissed but I just don't care any more. In the end, I am getting a really good deal out of it and I get to do a LOT less work with almost zero stress for good pay.

Should I be mad? Would you be mad?

2. polo_princess

polo_princess ♥ Brookes Mummy ♥

Yes and no ... i would be a bit pissed at first but less work for the same money = result in my books :lol:

who say's your even going to return anyway? you might not want to once LO is here?

3. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

i would take them to court for discrimination and u will get alot more then u will be earnign as a pay out. My now ex boss managed to push me out of my job so i am now taking things further.

i would be fuming if i was u

4. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

i can understand why you don't want the hassle sweetie, and it is good you're getting the same pay and so you bloody well should! what they are doing is bloody terrible, but as long as it suits you, i think thats what matters now :hugs: x x

5. genkigemini

genkigemini Jack-Jack's Mommy

Thanks ladies.

I am still considering sueing and so is the other pregnant girl in the office. They are discriminating so bad. This whole issue is only the tip of the iceberg. I think I am going to watch it play out a bit longer before I decided exactly what to do but every person in my husbands office is screaming for me to sue so you never the know.

The problem is that a lawyer costs money and I am already going through a pregnancy with zero medical insurance so I can not really afford that at the moment. Maybe later. *shrug*

6. moomin_troll

moomin_troll mummy to zane and corey

over here we can get legal aid which is help paying the lawyers fees can u get any form of that where u are?

yes let it play out and keep notes of everything said and done incase u do decided to go ahead it will be ur evidence.

i hate that small companies think they can get away with doing this!

i hope everyting works out for u.

7. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

I'd be more than mad.

I've fought so hard to be treated as equal, to ACT as equal, and take responsibility for issues arising from my pregnancy.

Not a snowballs chance in hell would I take the other job offer.

8. BurtonBaby

BurtonBaby Well-Known Member

Hey hun. I dunno if I would take the job or not, maybe with a written agreement that your pay can not be lowered at any time, and your annual review raise situation (if you have this) would stay the same as well. Also, tons of discrimination attorneys work on contingency, where they only are paid if you win. Their fee can end up being quite high depending on how much you win, because its a percentage, but its better than coming up with the costs before hand without being sure you will win. You might want to look into that. Remember there are statute of limitations on discrimination cases too. I was illegally terminated while on medical leave from work while pregnant with Erica. When I was pregnant it was awful so I didn't do anything. By the time I spoke to an attorney, we started things and didn't get a right to sue in time because the statute here is 1 year. Good luck hun, dont let this get you down tho!! :D

9. mrso

mrso Lovin my Family

I agree. If you call the courthouse or maybe the general attorneys office they can guide you in right direction. I am not very knowledagble about these kinds of things but my husband is. He said keep a journal of events that way if/when you do go to court your documentation will speak for itself.

Good luck!!!

10. Mynx

Mynx Mum of 2 Gorgeous Girls!!

Aww hun this is awful! I would be mad as hell! I know it seems like a good deal but tbh they've sugar coated the bitter pill. What they've done is illegal and they can and should be sued for it. I know to you at the moment it seems like less stress, same pay etc, but who's to say they wont do anything else to discriminate against you? As has already been said, keep a journal of everything they've done, said and offered and at least you'll have some kind of documentation when needed.
    Big hugs to you hun :hugs:

11. mrs.beanz

mrs.beanz Well-Known Member

Did they mention which position you would be in if and when you return to work? If they demote you and it is on paper that you are in a lower position they only have to put you back in that position which could be at a lower wage when you return.