Should I buy a Doppler?

LittleLala

Expecting #3!
Reaction score
Hi girls :) hope everyone is feeling okay!

Question: should I buy a Doppler? I hear about them a lot on here. I
Are they safe to use?

And if so-- what brand should I buy? I'm in Australia, but I will probably buy it online. Should I get one that plugs into my phone, or not? Ah, so many questions!

If I do get one, I will wait until I'm at least 10 weeks along.

Thanks in advance for your advice :flower:

i bought mine when i was 12 or 13 weeks. i remember just being so curious so i wanted to hear baby's hb on my own for not just the convenience but to know shes alright.

i bought mine from ebay. its a sonoline B doppler in the color pink and it was 3mhz. it costed me 40 USD and free shipping expedited so i saved some money by not going to the fetaldoppler dot net site. it took me some time getting used to but in the beginning i used it once a day for the first three days but because i started feeling baby move in week 12 on a routine basis, i stopped using the doppler and decided to only use it when i got worried about not feeling her move or when i just wanted others to hear her heartbeat.

i havent heard anything about it not being safe in any way but when i searched online it seems alot of moms dont like to use it for more than just mere minutes for an entire week. i used mine up to 10 mins in a single day when i did use it but as i said i dont use it every day and rarely now because i feel baby moving a lot now. i have not used mine since week 14. on the other hand, it does help provide reassurance when you're worried no matter if its movement related or if you're not feeling well.

I think it'll just make me more insane than I already am!!

I'm in Australia too and got the angelsounds. I love mine and am so glad I have it. I heard dd1 at 9+6 and dd2 at 8+3 and it really eased my mind between OB visits. I listened to them everyday until I could feel regular movements. Some days I would have no symptoms, or my boobs wouldn't be sore, or any other reason stupid I thought my baby was dead all I had to do was go into my bedroom, listen to their hb and I would stop worrying.

Oh and on the safety issue, yes they are safe. It's just sound waves. However when I was further along I could feel that baby would suddenly start moving around when I put the probe on so I think maybe they can hear it and it bothers them, so I would also do just a very quick check and turn it off again.

It's really unnecessary. I can't see why anyone would want one as it would seriously make me stressed out. You don't need to check your baby's heartbeat on a daily basis.

I just purchased a sonoline B, waiting for mine to come in! I agree that it could become addictive... I can only imagine! But, if it gives you peace of mind, I say go for it! That's why I did it. I'm a worry wart, and I know it'll make me feel better to know I can listen in at any given time. :thumbup:

I love mine! Makes me feel so reassured after my last pregnancy ended in a MMC where I still had all symptoms. So it definitely makes me feel better. I would be worrying so much more if I didn't have my doppler.

I'm with the moms that find it unnecessary. I think it can cause undue stress. A little much for me. Then again if it helps put your mind at ease then go for it. The choice is yours.

I think I'd stress myself out too much if I had one. Some people say it eases their mind though so if you feel like you'd be that person, go for it. I personally don't have one nor do I plan on getting one.

They are thought to be safe or they wouldn't be able to sell them as profusely, but experiments have also shown that prolonged or unnecessarily direct use of this kind of equipment can create bubbles in tissue. There's no evidence that this does any damage to the tissue and I don't know how deep into the abdomen this can happen (and it should just fix itself naturally) but once I read that it made me kind of squeamish about using one myself. I'll let the trained professionals handle it personally. :blush:

Thanks everyone :) I think I will order one in the next few weeks. With my history of mc I think it will make me feel reassured. Hopefully it won't turn me into a crazy lady! :haha:

I opted not to get one. By the time I was seriously, seriously considering it my chances of miscarriage were at an all time low, and I am around the corner from actually starting to feel the baby (which I have felt a spasm or two the last few days).

That being said, if I had a history of recurrent miscarriage I would probably buy one, but I would not skimp out and buy a cheapie for something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->