Should I have a bath when my waters have gone?

Gems89

Reaction score
Not had any contractions or anything and the header says it all,

I need to make sure I'm all squeeky clean etc and I don't have a shower, I'm being induced if nothings happened by tomorrow afternoon.

Do you mean is it safe? It should be okay to sit in plain water but I would avoid using any soaps or shampoo's or anything like that. Have a sink wash and then get in the bath.

HTH

I think they recommend against it as there is a risk of water entering the uterus and causing infection

If I remember rightly I am sure the midwife said no baths after waters have gone only shower.....could be wrong though. Good luck :D x

When my waters broke with my son I didnt have any contractions and refused to leave to go to the hospital until I'd had a bath. I don't know if this is right or wrong. I just know that its what I did. xxx

they say not to have a bath once waters have gone due to infection but I've been in labour in a hospital where they have broke my waters and then let me get in a bath, and you know how clean your own bath is so i'd say its your call to be fair, if you ask the midwives i bet they tell you no though lol.
btw small world as I'm sitting in Stevenage typing this! Are you going to the Lister? i did the tour on saturday and thought the new maternity wing was really nice :)

No, no baths... sorry :-( You could just get yourself in the bathtub and scrub/rinse off though! Even sitting in a tub of plain water can cause infection at that point, theoretically...

they say not to have a bath once waters have gone due to infection but I've been in labour in a hospital where they have broke my waters and then let me get in a bath, and you know how clean your own bath is so i'd say its your call to be fair, if you ask the midwives i bet they tell you no though lol.
btw small world as I'm sitting in Stevenage typing this! Are you going to the Lister? i did the tour on saturday and thought the new maternity wing was really nice :)

Yeah having him at lister, I didn't do the tour as I have been in and out enough haha!

Its a small world huh!

Looks like no bath for me =[

AH SO EXCITING.

im very jealous :hugs:

When mine went the midwife at the hospital said it was perfectly fine to have a bath, I had 2, one at home and one at hospital!

Oooh, now I'm confused! At NCT they said that when contractions started it was good to have a nice warm bath to ease any discomfort. Similarly, you're allowed to use a birthing pool.
Presumably, if you're having contractions, your waters may have already broken?

Can anyone help with this one?

Oooh, now I'm confused! At NCT they said that when contractions started it was good to have a nice warm bath to ease any discomfort. Similarly, you're allowed to use a birthing pool.
Presumably, if you're having contractions, your waters may have already broken?

Can anyone help with this one?

My waters broke before I had contractions, but by the time I got home and had my bath I was having them x

they let you get in a birth pool or a bath at my hospital lol, my waters have never gone prior to labour starting though lol they tend to go dramatically when i get the urge to push

I had a bath with no bubbles and got out to wash my hair and still standing! =D

I would have went for one too. People give birth in them :roll: some rules are so silly!

When my waters went last time they said it was fine to have a bath as long as it was just water, no soaps etc.

my waters were just trickling rather than having a gush, so sitting in the bath was the only way i could cope with the sensation of feeling like i'm just pissing myself!

My waters went before contractions started and had to go into hospital to be induced and baths were a no no, but as others have said I cant see why if its just plain water as people have babies in birthing pools all the time!!

Btw my sister just had her lo at the Lister and said the m/w's there were really nice!!

Yeah they are lovely, couldn't fault them last time!

if you werent allowed a bath why could you be allowed in a birthing pool?!lol and iv heard loadsa women say they get sent to the bath when they arrive at hospital, id say no bubbles though but cant see why you couldnt sit in the bath!

Myles Textbook for Midwives says
"There is relatively little reliable and valid evidence to prove that bathing during labour increases maternal or neonatal infection"

So in short - bathing is OK!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"