Should I pump?

charlie1510

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having a c-section tomorrow (scared!!), and am hoping to be able to breastfeed. I've not had any breast leakage or anything at all, so I was wondering if I should have a little pump this evening to get things going so that I have something to give my baby tomorrow? :baby:

What do you think?

Ta,

Charlotte

I dunno love. Im not actually sure you would get anything out?? or maybe very little.

My milk took 5 days to come in after my section so i can't really give any advice but to hang in there, i just thought it would never happen.

Nope, you'll be fine :) Just have the midwife help you latch baby on. You'll be producing collostrum at first, which is more than enough for LO. Just feed when she's hungry and your milk will come in. I had a c-section and my milk came in on day 3-4 :) Ask for all the help you need and resist formula top ups and it'll be fine :)

Nope, you'll be fine :) Just have the midwife help you latch baby on. You'll be producing collostrum at first, which is more than enough for LO. Just feed when she's hungry and your milk will come in. I had a c-section and my milk came in on day 3-4 :) Ask for all the help you need and resist formula top ups and it'll be fine :)

^wss^

I had an emergency c-section and wasn't able to see my baby much for the first 12 hours. After that I was able to try bf'ing a few times but they sort of automatically gave LO formula top ups. As a result of this he was sleeping a lot so I asked (demanded!) to be able to pump at the hospital to try and get things going. It put my mind at ease to know I was doing something to 'help' since he was getting top ups... my milk came in on day 4 - 5.

Realistically, I had been reading information on BnB and had been told to avoid top ups... but at that moment I was also feeling vulnerable, I wasn't sure of myself or my ability to bf, and wasn't confident in my ability to care for my newborn (I hadn't been around babies much!) so when he cried even after feeding and the hospital staff suggested just a 'small' top up with a cup (to avoid nipple confusion) I just felt bad listening to his hungry little cries and gave in. If you do this, don't feel bad, but also don't be afraid to ask for help pumping. Likewise, don't feel bad refusing the top ups (you can also even tell them this when you get to this hospital to have it in your birth plan) and make sure they know you only want to bf.

You shouldn't need to pump tonight though... the hormones that get released after your baby is born should help get things started just fine!

Good luck tomorrow! :flower:

I was very firm with them. LO was in the NICU and they wanted to give him formula right away and I said no so they put him on a glucose drip, but then gave him formula because his blood sugar was low after the drip :growlmad: Later, I was told BF'd babies naturally have lower blood sugar because the milk takes time to come in. I'll know better next time.

You're right though. You do feel vulnerable and they act like they know best.

I had an emergency c-section and wasn't able to see my baby much for the first 12 hours. After that I was able to try bf'ing a few times but they sort of automatically gave LO formula top ups. As a result of this he was sleeping a lot so I asked (demanded!) to be able to pump at the hospital to try and get things going. It put my mind at ease to know I was doing something to 'help' since he was getting top ups... my milk came in on day 4 - 5.

Realistically, I had been reading information on BnB and had been told to avoid top ups... but at that moment I was also feeling vulnerable, I wasn't sure of myself or my ability to bf, and wasn't confident in my ability to care for my newborn (I hadn't been around babies much!) so when he cried even after feeding and the hospital staff suggested just a 'small' top up with a cup (to avoid nipple confusion) I just felt bad listening to his hungry little cries and gave in. If you do this, don't feel bad, but also don't be afraid to ask for help pumping. Likewise, don't feel bad refusing the top ups (you can also even tell them this when you get to this hospital to have it in your birth plan) and make sure they know you only want to bf.

You shouldn't need to pump tonight though... the hormones that get released after your baby is born should help get things started just fine!

Good luck tomorrow! :flower:

Thanks hun, much appreciated xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back