Should I stop breastfeeding first?

Linzz30

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are thinking about actively TTC again after having a "surprise" pregnancy this week then getting my period a week after the positive test! :(

I was just wondering whether there were anyone still bf and thinking about trying? My friend keeps telling me it'll lower my chances of conceiving (although it clearly hasn't!) My son is 20 months and my periods are regular.

Wondering if anyone was or has been in the same boat.

Thanks,

Lindsey xxx

I'm a formula momma by choice, so I don't know how much help I am, but I've seen many women on here get pregnant while still breastfeeding, and go on to have successful pregnancies. So if you want to continue I don't see why you should stop unless a medical provider recommends it for some health reason. Sorry for your loss! :hugs:

i conceived this lo while breastfeeding totally possible good luck x

Thank you, that's helpful. I guess I'll keep going the way we've been going. Fingers crossed for next month xxx

BF often suppresses ovulation when you're feeding at least 4 hourly, this is why it can take a while for your periods to return, but your periods have returned so that means your fertility has, I don't see how it would lower your chances (although BF can lower libido if that affects you!) but otherwise there's plenty of women who manage it, no harm in trying and see how you go.

I think you're ok if your periods are back. I stopped bf this month because I haven't had a period since getting pregnant and i want to ttc soon, so we're hoping they'll be back soon!

I have heard a lot of times when you're pregnant it can dry up your supply by about halfway (not always though) so that may be something to consider. That is one if the reasons we are waiting- I want DS to be completely weaned before getting pregnant just in case.

I've seen many women on here get pregnant while still breastfeeding, and go on to have successful pregnancies too.

Honestly if your cycles are regular and you want to keep breastfeeding while TTC/pregnant then I say go for it. I could not have done it myself because:

1. DS weaned himself at 15 months.

2. He's been weaned for 5 months and my cycles are still slightly irregular. I had a 28 day cycle this past cycle after a 25 day cycle, so I'm really hoping that my next cycle will be another 28 day and that my cycles have finally regulated.

3. I lost so much weight while I was in the first half of my pregnancy with DS and lost more than my baby weight while breastfeeding so I don't think I could afford to breastfeed while pregnant because I'll be having a hard enough time getting the calories I need and gaining the weight I need without breastfeeding.

But if you want to do it and you see no reason why you can't then I think you should. Lots of women breastfeed while TTC/pregnant and do just fine and go on to have perfectly healthy babies. Just make sure that you do research on how many more calories you will need to eat and don't be afraid to wean if you ever reach a point that you feel like you need to in order to get pregnant or gain proper weight during pregnancy. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide to do. :thumbup:

I got pregnant twice while breastfeeding. Breastfed until I was 5 months and my milk dried up.
DS is still breastfeeding. If he continues when I'm ttc, I'm okay with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->