Should my baby use blankets or sleeping bag in cot?

LuckyD

Mum to Lucy and Arlo!
Reaction score
Hey all,

my baby has pretty much grown out of her Moses basket and is ready to move into her cot...

In her basket she has been swaddled and had blankets tucked around her, but I have read a few things that say it's not safe to have blankets in a cot.

Do you use blankets, or sleeping bags?

If you use blankets, is there a particular way you use them?

Thanks!

didnt want to read a run...
When Macie first went into her cot i used sleeping bags... but she has never been swaddled!!
Can you not swaddle LO if thats what there used to and put them into the cot?
xx

We use a sleeping bag, my son didn't really like being swaddled and hated blankets, so we bought a sleeping bag and he loves it.
I think with blankets in a cot you need to make sure they aren't loose and that your daughter can't wriggle down under them.

i always used blankets in the cot with my older 2, and would with this lo when he goes into a cot. i would put them in sleeping bag first then with blankets over if its colder. as long as they are feet to the bottom of the cot and use cellular blankets, not fleece.x

My LO never liked being swaddled. He did have blankets in his moses basket, but we went for sleeping bags in the cot. I thought they were great from the start, and he's still in them now (bigger ones obsiously, lol). They can't kick them off or wriggle down underneath them.

I use a blanket now its too hot for a sleeping bag. I use a cellular blanket and I just put it over her once she's fallen asleep (otherwise she kicks it off)

chloe was swaddled up until nearly 4 months and was in her cotbed at 6wks, we just swaddled her in there. we now use sleeping bags as i feel they are safer than blankets plus she cant kick the sleeping bag off at night whereas she could with the blankets

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!

I do like the idea of using sleeping bags....I just can't help thinking that my LO will get cold? It's winter here and getting freezing!

She does seem to like the swaddle though, she is an active little thing so the swaddle seems to calm her down a bit!

Hmmmm.....might have to get a sleeping bag...what types do you use? Is there a preferred type of material to use?

Thanks for all your help! xx

You can get different tog ratings, 1.0 is light for summer up to 2.5 for winter. You can also vary what they wear underneath, my LO is in a baby-gro most of the time with a 2.0 sleeping bag. When it's very hot he'll just have a short sleeved bodysuit underneath, or in the winter (our house is freezing!) we'll go up to a 2.5 tog and he wears fleecy pyjamas and socks.

Prices vary a lot, GroBag are nice and have lovely patterns but are really pricey. I've found a few eBay shops that sell them a lot cheaper (not Gro-Bag but still decent ones).

You can get different tog ratings, 1.0 is light for summer up to 2.5 for winter. You can also vary what they wear underneath, my LO is in a baby-gro most of the time with a 2.0 sleeping bag. When it's very hot he'll just have a short sleeved bodysuit underneath, or in the winter (our house is freezing!) we'll go up to a 2.5 tog and he wears fleecy pyjamas and socks.

Prices vary a lot, GroBag are nice and have lovely patterns but are really pricey. I've found a few eBay shops that sell them a lot cheaper (not Gro-Bag but still decent ones).

Thank you! Very helpful :flower:

i use a blankie and tuck it in around mattress so he cant move it :)

I use sleeping bags so he can't kick them off. Like PP said you can get different togs for winter.

i use a sleeping bag too. I can recommend slumbersac which you can get from amazon from £10. If its cold get a 2.5tog and put your lo in pajamas underneath. The bags come with a guide as to how to dress lo for different room temps which i find very useful. Jx

My LO has a sleeping bag as he wriggles about so much in bed, I worry he would go under the blankets despite by best efforts to ensure he doesnt. He seems to like it x

i use a sleeping bag, as my lo likes to move all around the cot at night, and I was worried about her putting blankets over her head.
she loves her sleeping bag, and as soon as she sees it she knows it bed time. x

At first, i used blankets as she was swaddled but then about a month later I switched to a bag, as she was breaking out of the swaddle and the blankets never stayed tucked in. :flower:

Tesco do some very soft sleeping bags for about £12! Much cheaper than the big name brands x

sorry to hijack this thread, but have been wondering this about sleeping bags - what do you do with the excess material at the end of the sleeping bag if baby is meant to lie at the bottom of the cot?? Sorry I am probably being really stupid!!
xx

I used to use a blanket but he always manages to kick it over his head. Progressed to sleeping bag and now due to weather use nothing! He goes to bed in his PJ's and that's it. It gets hot in our flat though regardless of whether it is frosty or warm outside!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->