Should my baby use blankets or sleeping bag in cot?

Our LO was swaddled until last week, we had him in his swaddle (a woombie) with a sheet, or if cold, a blanket, across him at tummy button height, firmly tucked in under the mattress each side and with rolled up towels wedged in between the mattress and the cot bars at each side. He only slept well constrained and if we hadn't pinned him down he would have rolled all over the place.

He started waking up grumpy a couple of weeks ago so we tried him without the swaddle and he still slept through. We had tried it about 6 weeks earlier and he woke up about a dozen times a night so obviously wasn't ready then. We had watched them on the monitor and seen that he was still startling really badly.

He still has the sheet nice and tight across him but now he is in a grow bag.

sorry to hijack this thread, but have been wondering this about sleeping bags - what do you do with the excess material at the end of the sleeping bag if baby is meant to lie at the bottom of the cot?? Sorry I am probably being really stupid!!
xx

No such thing as a stupid question :winkwink:

You don't need to put the baby at the bottom of the cot when they're in a sleeping bag (provided your not using a blanket or anything else on top, which you shouldn't need to anyway). The reason for 'feet to foot' is so that they can't wriggle any further down than where you put them, and therefore end up with their head under the blankets.

Thanks so much for all the info...

Yes, my LO is a wriggler too, she doesn't have room to move in her moses basket but I do think once she is in the cot she might squirm around a bit.

Can you use a sleeping bag and then swaddle over that? She really likes the swaddle and I don't know if she would be ok without it...she still startles quite a bit.

I swaddle and use blankets.
TBH my LO never really settled in a sleeping bag and I don't like the synthetic ones (if I use one is merino) as its so easy for LO to get to hot
You shouldn't use synthetic blankets so i wouldn't ever use synthetic sleeping bags either

For us blankets that we well tucked in work really well

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->