Should Women dress their age?

Jkelmum

Reaction score
Is it right or wrong to suggest that women should dress their age?

Is there anything wrong with a forty plus lady wearing short skirts and low cut tops?

This is something we pondered after been on a night out with friends, one of our female companions, pointed out a lady who was clearly more mature, wearing a black mini skirt, and a very low top, our friend said " she should know better at her age"

Opinions:flower:

Yes but that doesnt mean being frumpy. Theres a woman at work who must be about 45 and she dresses really inappropriatly for her age. Like really horrid leggings (think sequins, wet look etc) and tops that i wouldnt wear and im 20 years younger. its not just the style and her age, they dont suit her body type either. She does look like mutton :( On the other hand theres another 41 year old and she wears a lot of skinny jeans, flats and tunics and looks fab :)!

Instead of "dress your age", I think "dress your body type". If you're 40, but you have the body of a 20 year old, then by all means- flaunt it! In an appropriate way of course :winkwink: I don't think anyone looks good in a super short mini skirt and plunging neckline :nope:

She did look tarty but I figure its her body her life let her dress and live it how she wants ...my friend was very judgemental ...each to there own i thinks

Instead of "dress your age", I think "dress your body type". If you're 40, but you have the body of a 20 year old, then by all means- flaunt it! In an appropriate way of course :winkwink: I don't think anyone looks good in a super short mini skirt and plunging neckline :nope:

I agree with this. There are many 40 plus women that I know that can easily pull off anything they wear. But there have been a few that I've thought 'what are you wearing!?'

ive seen some women look awful on nights out where they are 40 and dressing like they are 18...gravity isnt our friend!
but i think aslong as the person looks good and feels comfy and confident age doesnt matter.

i was clothes shopping yesterday and saw some denim shorts with heart on them thinkin oh they are cute but then thought im a mum of 2 i cant wear them and im only 23 hahaha

Depends if she reallyw as able to carry it off IYKWIM? It is something I ponder quite a bit at the moment. Due to being too darn lazy my hair has grown quite a bit recently and is longer than it has been in a few years. One of my pals made a comment about how when you get to a certain age long hair is not suitable.....I hadn't realised I was quite that old yet!!!

There are a few women I know at the gym who are not going to see 40 again and they look fab. If I was them I would wear whatever I wanted!!!

I agree with this. There are many 40 plus women that I know that can easily pull off anything they wear. But there have been a few that I've thought 'what are you wearing!?'

Yea I agree with this. My mum is the same ae as madona. Madona can almost still wear a leotard and look good. My mum couldnt wear one now or 30 years ago!

ive seen some women look awful on nights out where they are 40 and dressing like they are 18...gravity isnt our friend!
but i think aslong as the person looks good and feels comfy and confident age doesnt matter.

i was clothes shopping yesterday and saw some denim shorts with heart on them thinkin oh they are cute but then thought im a mum of 2 i cant wear them and im only 23 hahaha

So funny... I find myself doing that all the time. I love the ripped jeans look, but it seems to young for me now! And I'm only 25!

When I go into shops and look at clothes I find myself questioning wether or not they are too young for me....I'm nearly 34 and have 4 kids! I wouldn't wear some of the stuff I used to wear when I was in my 20's but if it looks good I will wear it. I think you can dress sexy at any age as long as you can carry it off. :thumbup:

Isn't this all just a matter of taste, though?
I mean, if you are wearing skimpy clothes, but feel great about yourself, who am I to judge?
That same woman might think my clothes are frumpy. :shrug:
Women are just so hard on each other in the looks department. I say we should all just live and let live. And do as you would be done by.
I'm a pretty tough person, but if I overheard a perfect stranger make some catty remark about my clothes, I'd be really hurt. Why indulge in that sort of negativity?
Forget the stupid clothes - could we not all try just a little harder to not be so judgemental and mean? It just seems so unkind and unnecessary to me.
They are just clothes!!! It's not like that woman is committing some heinous crime or torturing kittens or something awful.

Yes!!! There is a women where I live who dresses like a 21 year old and is well into her 60's! Its awful, she thinks she looks amazing and she looks dreadful. She always wears see through leggings and a short top so you can see her thong :nope:.... Sooooo not a good look :haha:

So funny... I find myself doing that all the time. I love the ripped jeans look, but it seems to young for me now! And I'm only 25!

hahaha i get too uncomfortable in jeans now for some reason since having zane, but i love them :(
the only time i really dress my age is on a night out when im not mummy for 1 night, get out the short dresses lol

i walk around the shops thinking well i love this but i dont want to look any younger then i already do. people already think im alot younger. on holiday i was asked if i was over 14:cry: lol

My mum has just turned 48, she is a size 8/10 petite and blonde hair. She works for Peacocks so has to know what kind of clothes are in or out, she dresses very up-to-date fashion wise, but still classy and nothing that is too young, such as mini skirts. She looks fab and classy, and dresses alot better than me most of the time lol!! Being older doesn't mean you have to wear twin sets and skirts lol!!

On another note why to fat slobs always wear tracksuits and sportswear? It is pretty clear there is no sports going on in their lives lol!!! x

As long as your happy and not showing the whole world your nipples/fanny/ass crack go for it lol

Haha kinnd of agree with above about the tracksuits haha

I was once told I should dress more like a mom. When its summer I wear short skirts and dresses cuz its hot and I'm a very feminine girly and love dresses etc. Anyway, how people dress is up to them. I cannot believe anyone would actually feel inclined to tell another how to dress, its such a personal thing.

i don't dress my age.
i dress older when i go out (leggings and a dress) and younger when i stay in! (cute pj's)
i am only 25 and i feel that if i don't start dressing my age i will look like mutton dressed as lamb by the time i reach my 40's.
i have always had my own sense of style (not everyone can appreciate) i have toned it down since becoming a mummy.
i am hoping to be a cool mum when the kids get old enough to appreciate fashion.
though TBH, i don't think it matters what we look like too much as long as the kids look good and are well fed.
if i see a toy/outfit for my DD or DS i will go without, whether we have the money or not!
just because i think... that £?? could be better spent towards something they need rather than a dress that will sit in my wardrobe as i don't go out! LOL
i sound past it already, i know but thats just how i feel.

my mum is 53 and has a toyboy he is 30 this year. they got together when he turned 16 (yes MAD) the very thought STILL makes me urge!!!
anyway... my mother feels the need to look like a tart by wearing minis and low cut tops.
she has great legs but... she is 53!!! my DH thinks she looks awful and she wears thongs under the minis and bends over without a care in the world... i am ashamed! to the point where i have stopped taking the kids over as much, i take them every fortnight now.
obviously the clothes get smaller as the weather gets hotter so, looks like we'll be going swimming lots this year as my mum CAN'T swim and my DD is old enough to notice now and points out... ''BOOBIES'' or ''BUM''.

i am blushing whilst confessing that THIS BEAST of a woman is my mummy!!! :(

Yes. Well... I think you should dress as old as you LOOK. If you are blessed with youthful looks then go for it. I also believe you should dress appropriately for yoru situation etc. I'm a mum now and, while I;m not about to become a frump, I do not feel it would be appropriate for me to wear day to day some of the things I used to (if they fit me of course lol)

hahaha i get too uncomfortable in jeans now for some reason since having zane, but i love them :(
the only time i really dress my age is on a night out when im not mummy for 1 night, get out the short dresses lol

i walk around the shops thinking well i love this but i dont want to look any younger then i already do. people already think im alot younger. on holiday i was asked if i was over 14:cry: lol

:hugs: Bless you! i know the feeling ! i got asked to get out of a pool on a campsite last year, because i had LO with me they said we needed a parent or an over 16 to watch us!!! i was livid to be honest cos it was busy and it was quite :blush::blush: x (i was 22 at the time)

op- i think if you have got it flaunt it, unfortunately its the ones who don't got it! that wanna flaunt it ! :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->