Shoulder dystocia

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by sophieloafy, Jun 7, 2011.

1. sophieloafy

sophieloafy Well-Known Member

When i had my daughter 13 months ago she got had shoulder dystocia on her way out! It took a room full of people and the midwives both hands inside of me to free her shoulder and a hell of a lot of pain, screaming and swearing!
    She came out weighing 8lbs1oz, so not too big really. Anyway, I am worried sick of it happening again. I feel sick to the pit of my stomach about it. Has anyone else had a baby that had shoulder dystocia? then gone on to have a normal delivery with any subsequent babies??

2. 5-a-side

5-a-side Well-Known Member

Hi there, I've no experience of this personally but I had a search through BnB for you and found a few threads about it.
    One is Here I've no idea if that will be of any help but I didnt want to read and not reply.
    Hopefully this will bump your post back to the top.
    Sorry I couldnt be of any more help.

3. sophieloafy

sophieloafy Well-Known Member

thanks hun x

4. crazylilth1ng

crazylilth1ng Well-Known Member

My last baby was born with shoulder dystocia... This is my first baby since so I can't say I've had a normal delivery since. It was horiffic pretty much as you described but my daughter was 9lbs 3 and very big. I'm hoping it doesn't happen again!

5. Reedy

Reedy Outnumbered x

My son had this too & wanted to know what happens with your 2nd baby as I was told it is very likely to happen again x
    I was wondering if you would be advised to have a c-sec??
    would love to hear from other mums x

6. Weebear

Weebear Well-Known Member

What about having a chat with doctors about your fears and possibly inducing a little earlier so baby is a little smaller? Not sure if this is possible or a good idea, but even to ask about it might set you at ease xx

7. Ashlee B x

Ashlee B x Teejay N Kaycie

Hiya my son had this too was incredibly scary and the alarm went for more midwives and docs to come in and help pull him out, he did weigh 9lb 12 tho! i have seen a few birthin programmesand 1 lady had this and was due to give birth to aother an they induced her 2 weeks early to make sure baby was smaller so it wouldnt get stuck, so that could be an opton, one which i would defo like to take next lol

8. hollyrose

hollyrose Well-Known Member

my dd had this also, she weighed 9lbs 4 and half ounces. saw my consultant on monday for my 12 week scan and he said i would get an extra growth scan at 34 weeks and if they thought baby was gonna be as big or bigger they would probably give me a section.