Sick Leave whilst pregnant

hellywelly

Mummy to Harry
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone take a lot of sick leave off whilst pregnant - I called in sick today and guess i won't be back till later on in the week - I am nearly 5 months gone and this is my 3rd day off sick since being pregnant - just worried/curious - all of my family think I am doing great x

Its funny you should bring this up today as this morning i couldn't be bothered to get up to go to work and my hubby said to me 'you haven't had one sick day yet whilst your pregnant and employers will expect you to take some time off so why don't you skive'. Ha ha!

So i think your employer will be expecting a fair share of sick leave due to your pregnancy as we can be all over the place! I think i'm might exploit my situation a bit more soon as i'm just getting so tired!

i've not taken a day off yet and so going to try and not, my employers have said to be, informally, that if i don't use up my sick days before birth, they will supplement my smp with 6 week full pay and 6 weeks half pay, so trying not to take time off.

it's a great incentive for those can't be bothered days, but i know when i get to 30+ weeks and my BP is sky high, i might need to use a few days, but we'll see.

as far as i know they can't discriminate against you, so as long as you stick to notification procedures etc, you'll be grand, enjoy resting up!

Don't worry. They expect it. I've had 5 days off sick and this morning am having to go in late due to a vomiting episode. I rang in to explain and I think they find it funny more than anything else.

I know that in the 4 weeks before Sprout is due, my company could make my maternity leave start sooner if I'm off ill due to a pregnancy related reason. Lucky for me I'm saving holiday up to use over those 4 weeks.

I have spent more time off sick than actually at work since being pregnant!! I did get hyperemesis so the first 3 months I was off work completely and then I only went back part time and even then there was still days when i couldn't go in coz of being sick and rough all day!!

Oooh I am getting to the stage where I am seriously tempted to take the odd sick day here and there..... but then I think about going back and just having 2 days worth of work to do and I always manage to drag myself in LOL

Also, I have not had 1 day off sick in 2 1/2 years and I think if I take any now, I will be disappointed in myself.... I am such a geek! LOL x

I've not been off and don't plan on either. I am getting paid so I make a huge effort to go in every morning - just the sort of person I am. With my daughter i worked until i was 38 weeks almost and had 1 sick day cos I couldnt get dressed as my SPD was so bad.

Its funny you should bring this up today as this morning i couldn't be bothered to get up to go to work and my hubby said to me 'you haven't had one sick day yet whilst your pregnant and employers will expect you to take some time off so why don't you skive'. Ha ha!

So i think your employer will be expecting a fair share of sick leave due to your pregnancy as we can be all over the place! I think i'm might exploit my situation a bit more soon as i'm just getting so tired!

Thats a terrible attitude to have :wacko: + tbh, you dont know what lies around the corner, you could be really ill next week and NEED sick leave.

i dont work now, but before when i was pregnant i had a week for so off because i was in hopital because they thought i was miscarrying, but other than that i didnt take any time off till i left work.

Ive had to take days off sick, and hated it. This year Ive been off with a broken arm, come back to tell them im pregnant, had awful morning sickness and now migraines that some days stop me getting out of bed. Ive had to have all of this week off due to emergency doctor and hospital visits, and I know as much as my work understand and expect it, I hate not being in.

I had a couple of weeks off early on with bleeding, and I'm now off for a couple of weeks with a badly sprained ankle (my job involves a lot of driving and walking, which I just can't do right now!!)

My boss has never had kids and isn't particularly understanding, but I cannot help needing this time off - and as long as I go through the correct reporting procedures there isn't really alot she can do!!

I don't like being off really as I don't like letting my colleagues down, but nothing I can do about it really. At the end of the day - my health and baby come first now :)

My problem is migraines. I usually take a prescription medication for them but can't take that whilst I'm pregnant, so if one hits there is really nothing I can do except lie down on bed and try to sleep it off.

Thats a terrible attitude to have :wacko: + tbh, you dont know what lies around the corner, you could be really ill next week and NEED sick leave.

I am just replying to a thread and trying to make the lady posting feel better about taking sick leave! There's nothing wrong with it in our situation as we are getting very tired, sickie and fat so sometimes need to time to re-coup!

I had a week off which i was signed off by the doctor due to anxiety and the week before I signed myself off for 2days (thursday and friday) so this is kind of 1 period it that makes sense. Then I had a half day when I had to go home with headache and another day when I came in but had bleeding so had to go to hospital. Not too sure if I have had other days other than this during the pregnancy. I work in a doctors surgery so try to be careful about if my immune is low as can catch all sorts here! I have had a funny episode just where I felt weak and light headed, hope it doesnt turn into something!!

xx

I've been off more than I would like with sickness (although once I realised it was pregnancy sickess I went back in) and then chest infections which took me down and were harder to deal with than usual. I damaged my back at around 16 weeks when moving house and had to take a couple of days of tehre. I had a period of bedrest as well due to some pretty bad pains and I'll be honest there are still days when it's really hard to go in to work. I know as I get even bigger I'll struggle more as breathing becomes more difficult since it's really taking a toll on my asthma. But I've only got another 7 weeks to go until the Summer holidays (I work in a school) so I'm hoping to struggle on until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->