Sick pay dispute help?

Laurenmomma

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can help?

Basically last July I went to my 20 week scan and the baby had died so I let work know I wouldn't be in and delivered the baby a few days later.

I ended up going back to work the first week of September as work was building up on my and I was getting calls asking when i am back. (I had sent in doctors notes for the period I was off)

By this point I had received a letter to say I was on SSP as the company policy is to pay 2 weeks full pay then ssp however due to the circumstances they extended that by a further few weeks.

I couldn't afford to live on the £80 odd pound a week so had to return.

I am now pregnant again and at week 17 (when my last baby had actually died) I was under so much pressure with work had a massive increased workload with no extra pay plus the stress and anxiety of the baby was giving me palpitations and BP worries by my midwife. I sent in the doctors note and had so much work building up I returned a week later.

My boss had a meeting with me on my day back and basically told me I had no sick pay and was straight on ssp for that week. Is this correct?

I'm now basically £400 down this month so money worries and I'm also scared to be off sick because im still within 12 months of being off last July! I just can't afford to live on SSP!

Are the rules different when it comes to pregnancy illness or are my work within their rights doing this?

I'm not sure how it works Hun but you can go to your HR directly to see the policy, or you can call ACAS.xx

It depends on your sick pay policy as to how much sick pay you have. Ordinarily you wouldn't get additional sick pay for pregnancy related illnesses but they can't hold the absences against you, i.e. You can't be dismissed for having pregnancy related absence.

If your sickness is calculated on a rolling 12 month period and you used your full allocation last July then you won't be entitled to company sickpay till July of this year.

You should have a written sickness policy you can check.

You cannot be performance managed based on pregnancy related sickness though.

Ok thank you!

Been paid today and only been paid £53 before tax for the week I was off ��

Ok thank you!

Been paid today and only been paid £53 before tax for the week I was off ��

I'd give your hr a call as that's not even ssp. £88 a week is what ssp should be. Are you part time? That might affect it.

They said as part of ssp you don't get paid for the first 3 days then it's £17 a day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->