signing

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by reallytinyamy, Oct 8, 2008.

1. reallytinyamy

reallytinyamy Mum and step mum

I know some people here are teaching LO's signs. I really want to do this- I am trained in makaton so will do it myself, I was just wondering at what point you started and how old they were when they started to take it in?

2. lady3

lady3 Well-Known Member

I've started! Marlowe's 3.5 months and have signed to her since birth. She has some deaf baby friends, so I know she will need to sign. Also, I have deaf friends, so I want her to be able to talk with them. She is already taking it in and watches my hands like crazy when I sign to her. Her feet start kicking as well, so I think she likes it. Also, if she's whinging to get out of something like her bumbo or bouncer and I walk over to her and sign/say 'finished' she stops whinging and starts smiling because I think she knows that she's going to get out soon.

3. Helen

Helen ICSI Twins + miracle BFP

I started at 6 months but I wish I'd started earlier. I think I got "finished/all gone" fairly quickly but the others came at maybe a year old. I think they could probably understand what I'm signing for a while even though they couldn't do the sign back. Now I'm finding the signing is like the speech and they are picking up something almost every day and repeating it back.

The last couple of days I've taught them "change nappy" which I'm hoping leads to good things. :D

4. sellotape

sellotape Active Member

I saw an advert for a signing class for babies and was curious, too.

Out of interest, how did you find out about makaton training? I'm doing Special Needs work in my school, and feel makaton would be really useful for the little ones.

m
    x

5. Tezzy

Tezzy Mum of 2 TTCAL

we started at 9months with Rhys, it was about 4 months before he signed back. now he signs pretty much everything