Silent reflux???

yourstruly10

Reaction score
Just a few questions about silent reflux. Im not sure my daughter has it but I'm wondering if it could be the cause of her poor eating.

She is almost 7 weeks old. She will take anywhere from 1-4 oz but usually only 3 oz a bottle. We burp often. When she is dkne eating most feeds i can here it coming up in her throat. She desperately tries to swallow. She never brings it but but seems very distressed and sometimes has a little cry when I can here it coming up.her breath smells very sour. She also gets lots of hiccups and spit up with them that leaks from the side of her mouth.

Sometimes when she is laying doown or asleep after a bottle she will let out a panicked little cry that stops when I pick her up. She will do the same cry at the bottle sometimes. I've read reflux babies cry lots though and she doesn't. She just squirms and seems uncomfortable for a long time after a bottle.

It is possible for it to be silent reflux? Could it be why she's eating so poorly and sometimes refusing the bottle after only an ounce?

Hi sorry didn't want to read and run I don't have a greatdeal of experience with silent reflux but it definitely sounds like it could be we thought Jamie had a silent reflux for a while however he never stopped feeding but would cry and lift legs right up if laid flat too soon after a feed

I would maybe speak to your HV or GP

Sorry couldn't be much help hope u get sorted soon x x x

thanks iwanababybump.

Seriously?? No one has a baby with silent reflux?

Hiya, my little boy is 6 weeks old and has silent reflux. He was exactly how you described your little girl and is now on infant gaviscon and is so much happier, I would make a doctors appointment if I were you. I hope it gets sorted x

Hiya, my little boy is 6 weeks old and has silent reflux. He was exactly how you described your little girl and is now on infant gaviscon and is so much happier, I would make a doctors appointment if I were you. I hope it gets sorted x

Thank you so much. We see her doctor on Friday. Did your LO cry lots? Allison doesn't but she will get the odd pain cry at bottle time or after when she's sleeping. I read that they cry lots and bad with reflux. Thats the only reason I'm not sure if it is reflux.

Freya has silent reflux and didn't cry all that much, only when feeding. It became such a chore, she'd refuse the breast and bottle and it was like she was in pain to eat-so horrible!
We tried infant gaviscon and it stopped any acidic, watery liquid coming up but didn't stop her writhing in pain and crying each feed. We are now on ranitidine and I think we've had a little improvement. From what you've described I'd definitely say it sounds similar to my experience of silent reflux. x

Our lo had suspected reflux, see my previous posts for symptoms etc but been docs today and.given special formula milk.on prescription as may be .lactose intolerance. Xx

Do you live near a children's hospital? I would go get her checked by an experienced pediatrician. If something doesn't seem right then it usually isn't! Mine had severe projectile reflux and screamed 24/7 so I'm no expert on SR

YES!!! You described my LO to a T. Except my LO had it very severe. It sounds like your LO doesn't have it very bad. Maybe just a thickner for the formula then you also can tilt her bed up with some books so it is on a little incline. Also, when feeding burp every ounce if she will let you and hold her more up right when feeding. Oh and keep her upright after her feed for about 30 mins or so.

My LO is on Ratidine (sp?) and it was working great, then stopped working and she started losing major weight and almost ended up hospitalized. But, her meds have been increased and she seems to be doing much better. Oh and at drs advice she is on cereal now as well. And i think this really helps. And i love her cereal. It is called PLUM and its Organic Brown Rice Cereal, with pre & probiotics which also helps with digestion. Plus this cereal is just not empty calories. It has LOADS of vitamins and minerals.

Good Luck! PM anytime.

:hugs:

Thanks everyone. It's been over 2 weeks now of fussy feeding, discomfort, squirming and sour breath. I took her to get weighted last week and she is gaining thankfully but only because she's not throwing up. The sound of it coming up in her throat makes me feel so bad. It takes us about an hour to get 3 oz in her.

We see her doctor Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->