Silly question

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by ourbump, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ourbump

ourbump Well-Known Member

Just wondering is it possible to miscarry without bleeding? I had my last scan at 9 weeks and won't have another one until 20 weeks and can't help but worry! I'm now 10.5 weeks and plan to tell my family over Christmas! Just in my head at the moment! Any ideas??

2. mightyspu

mightyspu No life since Aug 2009...

I don't want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but it is possible to have a missed miscarriage (MMC) I see you are in NI, do you not get a 12 week scan? Please excuse my ignorance, but do you not have NHS?

Anyway, you can have scans privately, I did at 8 weeks and it cost £65, but of course prices will vary.

Hope this helps!

3. lauralora

lauralora Well-Known Member

missed m/c are extremely rare though may i add :)

i no on the internet it seems there common but they really arent, before my 12 week scan i worried about a missed m/c and my doctor asked how i new about them because they arent common. most of my friends didnt even no wot a missed m/c was i had to explain. go ahead and tell your family, whatever will be will be. xx

4. ttcbambino#1

ttcbambino#1 Mummy to 2 monkeys

I worry about it daily, but I'll have my 12 week scan on Tuesday which will obviosuly put my mind at rest. I agree with lauralora, missed m/c is rare, it's just that we're on a forum with thousands of pg women so we're bound to hear aboout them. In my case I actually know 2 people personally in Southern Ireland who had them, but thats just unusual I think!

It's odd you don't have a scan in between 9 & 20, I had an emergancy scan at 8+3 but I still have a 12 week dating/NT scan. Can you ask your midwife, maybe explain how anxious you are feeling??

5. kmac625

kmac625 Mom to baby Clara

I'm sure you are fine hun. As far as the 12 week nuchal scan, here in Ontario, Canada (I think it's different in other provinces) it is optional and if you wouldn't have an amnio or terminate the pregnancy regardless of the results then you don't have that scan. My best friend didn't get her first scan until almost 20 weeks because she didn't do the nuchal scan.

6. AmyElizabeth

AmyElizabeth Well-Known Member

My sister (we're both in the US, so not on NHS) only had one sonogram her entire pregnancy, at 20 weeks! And she wasn't nervous at all! She just shrugged and said, "Oh, isn't that normal? Whatever." I've had three already, and feel exactly as you do, how the heck am I going to make until 20 without confirmation that everything's ok??? However, we're supposed to start feeling the baby on a pretty regular basis at 16 weeks, so that should be reassuring, and then you can always rent a doppler and listen to the heartbeat. Anything to reduce anxiety I say!