Similar sibling names?

ayh78

Mummy of 2!
Reaction score
We're not even TTC#2 yet, but I've been thinking about it early!

DS1 is Joshua and it took us ages to agree on a name, Joshua was the only boys name we agreed on. Ideally we would have like something a bit less popular, but in the end we went for what we both liked.

We've always said we'd called a daughter Jocelyn - we both love the name. But a Josh and a Joss? Would you? Of course I'm not even pregnant yet, and even when/if I am, there's no guaranteeing a girl!

Opinions please! :flower:

IMO Josh and Joss are too similar. Sorry :flower:

I agree with Sarah a little too similar. We have X sounding names though for my step children, Xander (Zander) and Isobel (Izobel) and weve chosen Zachary and Eliza for new baby when it comes.

I wouldn't do it! I know someone who has a brother and sister called Erin and Aran. Too similar! very confusing at times. I also work in a school and we get a good few sets of siblings with really similar names and it's just confusing for everyone!

I think that it's maybe a bit too similar... But not super horrible or confusing. If you can find something else you love, you might be better off with that, but if Jocelyn is THE name, I don't think it's so terrible together.

Too similar for my liking if I'm honest. x

I think that shortened they are waaaay to similar. It might not be so bad if you insisted that Jocelyn was only called that and never shortened.

I have a friend who has a brother called Joseph and a sister called Joanna and they both go by the shortened version of their name. This means that he now refers to them as "my sister Jo/my brother Joe" when referring to them. Mum and dad did not think that one through!!

Maybe shorten the other one to Lynnie or something? Josh and Lynnie sounds cute :D

I was at school with a Jocelyn whose sister was Jessica - Jessica was shortened to Jess but Jocelyn was always referred to by her full name.

Thanks for all of your honest replies! I think when we picked Joshua we kind of knew we'd have to compromise on Jocelyn. I suppose we'll have to get our thinking caps on - at least we've got plenty of time on our hands!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->