sittiing what age?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Neeno, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Neeno

Neeno Well-Known Member

Hi
    just wanted to ask a quick question
    Is it ok to let my baby sit for short periods of time with support
    My MIL says her backbone will bend and she will develope a hunch back if we sit her at this age
    according to them baby should be always lying on her back
    she is 3 months old now and she strats crying after a while and then when we sit her up in our lap she is happy again

2. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

Hannah refused to lay down at that age! We had to hold her sitting up in our laps all the time! Have you looked into the bumbo seat? It helps them to sit with aid and is meant to be used from 3+ months. Honestly wouldn't pay much attention to the MIL

3. Neeno

Neeno Well-Known Member

yeah gonna have look now but we have this rocker
    https://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=2002&e=product&pid=38824

and she loves to sit in it then we have a swing like this one

https://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/P...&subCatID=11:10463||1&pID=10434:4294959362||1

do u think it is safe to sit her in these
    i hope the links work for u

4. Fossey

Fossey Mummy to Larissa

https://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/development/headcontrol/

We sit liss in between a V pillow, have done for a long while now as she hated lying down all the time.

5. Vickie

Vickie Hannah & Rhys <3

I wouldn't see why not? We used Hannah's swing (in a reclined sitting position) since she was a newborn!

6. lillysmum

lillysmum Mum of 2 cheeky monkeys

if thats what baby wants to do theres nothing stopping you letting her do it, i think its very responsible to be helping her sit properly :)

7. PeanutBean

PeanutBean Mumma to Byron & Indigo

I think if the baby can sit by themselves (I don't mean unsupported) it's ok for as long as they are happy. Byron wouldn't ever let us sit him up at all until we tried a bumbo at 3 months and then he wanted to sit up all the time. I think once they can sit like that with support then the spine is strong enough until they are tired of it. Byron cries if he is sat up too long and wants lying down again. He much prefers being sat up.

8. shampain

shampain Mum to Patrick! :-)

Patrick has never been a lying down baby, he only likes been lay down in his cot for the night and thats about it....during the day hes either in his jumperoo,bouncer or highchair or bumbo.....even from been a new weeks old we had to have the car seat attached to the pram and sit him in there for a while. Hes got no problems now.

9. PitBullMommy

PitBullMommy Princess, FF & Angel Mom

Charlotte HATED laying down all the time at that age. I don't see anything wrong with helping them to sit up and I highly doubt it would cause a hunchback!

10. ajarvis

ajarvis Well-Known Member

My son did not like to lay down. He was always sitting up from earlier than 3 months. By 4.5 months he was sitting on his own for short periods of time with no support from either of us.

11. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

We bought Seth a bumbo seat which he was in from about 11 weeks and he loved it :) Was a really good buy, Id def recommend it :)

xxx

12. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

Dont' worry you won't hurt her back! I was told the same thing about letting them stand with support too young, would bow their legs, also not true :) 2 of my 3 boys were sitting fully on their own at 4mo, doesn't hurt them at all, they would let you know if they were uncomfy in anyway