Slap cheek

Freyasmum

Mum of 2
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about it?
One of the teachers at Freya's preshool said she thinks Freya has it. I'm not at all concerned about her (she's fine), but apparently if I get it it can be passed to the baby.

I have read that it can cause mc in early pregnancy, but does anyone know anything more?

I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I'm leaving towards not, mainly because we don't even know for sure Freya has it - she had no sign of a rash this evening.

Thanks. :)

my nephew had it when i first found out i was pregnant and i had to be tested for it as it can be dangerous to baby. But most people have a red rash on their cheeks (like some one has slapped them) and with my nephew he was really withdrawn and just lay on the sofa for a couple of days and did nothing. You should pop her along to the docters as im sure its contageous (dont quote me on that though)
xxx

Thanks. She seems fine - no rash that we've seen, and she's certainly not withdrawn or showing any signs of tiredness...
I'm starting to wonder if she just had a heat rash yesterday and the teachers at preschool jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Will definitely keep an eye on her though.

best thing to do, could be a few reasons why she had rosey cheeks.
hope all is ok :)

slap cheek can be dangerous 2 unborn baby. when i was pregnant with my 1st baby there was an outbreak at the school where i teach and i got signed off 4 2 weeks. u may have had it as a child and be immune already. ask your gp 4 a blood test so that u know. i think it's most dangerous 2 the unborn baby at the beginning of pregnancy though.

If you have already had it, then you are immune. But if you havent it can cause fetal hydrops which can be fatal because it can cause babies heart to fail.

A blood test can tell you whether or not you have it.

:hugs:

V xxx

Slap cheek is parvovirus and here is why I think your pre-school maybe right:
I'm a reception teacher and when you see it you know it. It does literally look as though the child has been slapped, very red cheeks or stays red where they have touched.
Child won't feel unwell now but may have have mild cold like symptoms or headaches in days leading up to slapped cheeks appearing, will feel perfectly fine by the time they show outwardly.
It is HUGELY contagious in small people and will spread round a class like wild fire so if there were other cases at the pre-school it's likely she does have it.
Parvovirus can cause problems in pregnancy so I have been hyper aware of it this term. Worth getting her checked out by docs. Although having been a reception teacher for 5 years and surrounded by it I haven't caught it yet...FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!

my son caught this back in may, he had bad cough and bright red warm cheeks, i was 6 weeks pregnant at the time and i miscarried 4 days after we found out he had it, nobody could tell me for sure if it caused it or not. so i'd just keep an eye on her x x

Thanks mummy0704. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs:
Do you remember how long his cheeks were red for? Preschool said they noticed it during the day on Friday, but we haven't seen any rash or redness. She hasn't had a cough or anything else either.

We are certainly keeping an eye on her.

Thanks mummy0704. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. :hugs:
Do you remember how long his cheeks were red for? Preschool said they noticed it during the day on Friday, but we haven't seen any rash or redness. She hasn't had a cough or anything else either.

We are certainly keeping an eye on her.

hi, then my opinion is she doesn't have it as my little ones cheeks where red for 4/5 days and i mean bright red, there's no if's or buts you know they have it. i think in this case playschool got it wrong and i'm sure you have nothing to worry about hope this helps take care x x

Thanks! I'd been thinking they probably got it wrong too, but couldn't find any info anywhere about how long the cheeks stayed red for.

Whew! I did text my mw yesterday and she said not to worry too. So I am officially not worrying.

Thanks for all the comments here. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->