sleep pattern gone wrong - help me!

baby D

Joshua and Amelia x
Reaction score
My baby girl has always been a good night sleeper - since 8 wks old she has fed about 8pm and slept till around 3am, fed and been back to sleep within 30 mins till at least 7 - 7.30am. Infact, from about week 11 till now she was beginning to sleep till 4 - 5am so had thought she was close to Sleeping through, but the past few days/week it has all gone a bit wrong - insted of managing one long core sleep of 7 - 8 hrs, i'm lucky if she manages 5! Last night, for example, she fed at 8pm as usual - took 6 0z (she drinks anything between 4 and 6 at a time) but woke at 1am! I tried to resettle without feeding but she wouldn't. She ate 4 oz and then slept till 5.30 am - again i tried to resettle her without feeding - but no - she took another 4 0z. Went back to sleep. I woke her at 7.30 to start our daily routine (plus have older brother to get to school) and attempted to feed her her 'breakfast bottle' but of course, she wasn't interested after all the night feeding - which has completely messed up our day routine! Also, when she does wake for a feed, she is takes the first 2 oz quickly but then slows down, only managing 4 - before, she was waking once and taking a full bottle in about 15mins falt - so im not too convinced she really needs these extra night feeds?

Am really confused - do i continue to feed her when she wakes - even though i KNOW she can manage a 7 - 8 hr night? Or do i persevere and wait till this time has passed since bedtime feed before i feed her - apparantly that would put her back on track within a few nights?

Please advise - am so close to chucking it all in and go back to feeding/sleeping on demand - did this for first 6 wks but REALLY wanted a routine as it was sooo demanding and effecting family life - plus i feel she needs a routine as i go back to work soon and it was working so well!

Just don't know what to do - seriously, she has been sleeping a 7 - 8 hr block at night for a good month and i don't want her to lose that ability!

I don't really have much experience to give you advice, but my little girl has been having similar sleep habits to Amelia. She was sleeping from 8.30pm to 3-4am last week but now is only getting to 1am and then needing another feed at 5ish as well. She's breast feeding for about her usual time at each feed so I think shes having a resonable amount. I recon she's having a growth spurt so I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt for a few days and fingers crossed she'll sort herself out again! Maybe give Amelia a few days to see if she settles down, or instead try and get her to take a little more at her bed time so she lasts longer? Good luck and I hope shes back on track soon :)

x

I think it might be a growth spurt and if she wants the milk, I would just give it to her. She's still quite young.

I think you have to be flexible as babies do have growth spurts and phases and you just cant always be sticking to a rigid routine no matter what the books say! Sleep patterns can vary anyway and sadly just because they have slept well for a while doesnt mean they always will!

Having a bab does disrupt normal life, you just have to expect it and try and go with it. I found my daughter settled down a lot more after 8 months, but is still an unpredictable sleeper.

You are right loz - think i will srop stressing over getting her into a routine - afterall, everytime i think we have - she changes it! Ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->