Sleep Positions

captain-ally

Reaction score
In Canada there's the "Back to Sleep" campaign where they are trying to get parents to always put their babies down to sleep on their backs. I've been making an effort to put Charlotte down in her cradle on her back, but when she's in the bed with me she sleeps on her stomach (on my chest) or on her side next to me. When she sleeps on her back she thrashes and kicks off the blankets, wakes up and makes a lot of noise all night. On her side/stomach she sleeps peacefully and is less fussy all day.

Is it really that bad to have her sleep on her side?

they tell us here babies MUST be laid on their back to stop em rolling over and smothering :)shock:) but Abbie settles soooooo much better on her side i have to admit i give into it sometimes :blush: i put blankets at her belly tho to prop her up just in case!

until she could roll from front to back and back to front we laid her on her back. Now she sleeps whichever way she wants :rofl:

In the UK they try to tell you ALWAYS put baby on her/his back but i say he can sleep whatever comfy :D I HATE sleeping on me back to jacob might too. I normally start him on his side and i can wake in the night and he'll be sideways on his tummy :wacko: so he must find it comfy then get up in the morning and he'll be back on his side :rofl: so like vickie whatever way he wants.

But when he was lil it was always his side as he had wind and on his back he would scream XxX

I always put Brooke on her back but sometimes she likes to sleep on her side, just like i do :lol:

zane only slept on his back for the first 6 days after that he slept on his tummy on my chest or now on his side he hates bein on his back so ive never made him to lie on it.

im sick of all the what if this... what if that....

Iv always put him down on his back and he was happy like that when he was newborn but now he can roll himself he never stays on his back how i put him, he turns to his side or even on his tummy. So i just leave him now however he puts himself!

At the age I kept putting H on her back, and she got a flat head!! For the past 2 months (she is 6.5 months right now) she has been sleeping on her stomach. She just rolls that way.

I put my Charlotte down on her back and she flips herself over onto her tummy every time. Before she learned to roll completely she would roll onto her side and sleep that way. I've kinda gone against convention on EVERYTHING though so.... :)

we've always put maddi in what they promote over here - the 'foot to feet' position - whereby you pop the baby done the base of the cot, so there feet are touching the bottom, so the covers can't come up over there head.

when maddi was a few weeks old we switched to sleeping bags at night, and she has always slept on her back, till she could move, and now she sleeps any which way! she actually took a nap on her side earlier, in her cot, round the end of the bars :lol:

i normally try to follow the guidelines, but for us, i'd rather do whats best for maddi, as all babies are different x

salim has only ever slept on his side. He hated being put on his back as a newborn and would wake up after 10 minutes so the side worked best, he slept peacefully and woke up happy. Until he could hold his head I used to put a rolled up towel either side of him to stop him rolling though.

I put Charlie down on his back but in the morning he gets in bed with me and sleeps on my chest so he is on his front now. When I used to breastfeed him in the night he would come in my bed and sleep on his side. x

Jasmine has always been put on her back. The odd time if she was fussy as a newborn I put her on her side. Now she just goes whichever way, she usually rolls onto her side.

I always put courtney on her back but she often goes on her side too....

when she was colicy she slept better on her front...!!

Maley was put on her side for the first week and then after that on her belly....she has slept on her belly since but now she can roll from her belly to back she usually ends up on her back!

i have always put Dec on his back to sleep, here we are told ' On their back and feet to bottom' even now at `7 months Dec still is put down on his back and then he can get comfortable any way he wants. xx

Lola always loved to sleep on her tummy, from when she was a newborn. I would mostly put her on her back but also sometimes on her front. At 2-3 weeks she had a really upset tummy and being on the front really helped with that.

Now even if I lay her on the back she's roll over in about 2 minutes... plus once they hit the gae when they can actually roll over they are old enough to lift their head up or move it if something isn't right.

I always put Ellie down on her back and she always ends up on her side!

Oscar hates his back as have all my 3 ..

I roll up blankets to wedge either side of him and swaddle him on to his side, He cannot roll over as he is wedged in lol, And cannot choke on his sick etc as he is on his side, So im happy and hes happy :). xx .

Kathryn used to always sleep on her back, but since she started rolling over she will only sleep on her stomach. She hates being on her back, its so hard trying to change her diaper, and the second we put her down on her back she flips over (unless se's drinking her sippy cup).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->