Sleep Training Sucks (warning: rant ahead)

MLC20

Reaction score
I have spent the last 3 months sleep training my daughter (with guidance from professionals) and I am so sick of it. She is still waking about once a week in the middle of the night for about 2-3 hours. I'm now 20 weeks pregnant and can't see an end in sight. She needs her sleep and I need mine. It's now 1.30am and she is only just starting to drift off now after 1 1/2 hours aargh!!!!!

ah me too. We've been doing it for a month. it got better but then went back to normal. He does between2.5 and 4 hours as a first stretch then it's every 1.5, however often he never actually goes back to sleep properly, just seems to then as soon as I stArt to drift off, he's crying again. I'm 19 weeks with #2 and it is EXHAUSTING

2.25am and still up. CT125 I hope it gets better for you soon. Pregnancy doesn't make it any easier and the hormones make me frustrated a lot easier and teary.

im not an expert, but maybe at this point, it might be easier to just leave sleep training until later. i mean you try get LO back to sleep, and she probably wakes herself up more getting worked up when you're not there, meaning she's up for hours.
surely its easier to get in there and give her a drink or w/e quickly before she wakes herself right up so she can go back to sleep and so can you?

my DD is 25 months old and still wakes up twice a night on average. i learned to accept that she'll sleep through when she's ready - and at school etc and our wakeups at night only last about 20min max. and she puts herself to sleep, so i only lose about 40min of sleep a night as opposed to the hours id lose if she was getting worked up.

just my opinion ofc :) i hope it gets better.

Thanks for the suggestion Destiny08, I don't mind her waking up during the night it's just the fact that she wants to play with someone and will yell and cry until we go in. If I wait until bubs comes along then I won't get any sleep. DH works long hours and sleeps through so it's all up to me.

Mine did that at that age and I found if dad went in with a stern GO TO BED, it worked after about two weeks. Part of it is wanting you. Wish you the best of luck, it's awful :(

Mine did that at that age and I found if dad went in with a stern GO TO BED, it worked after about two weeks. Part of it is wanting you. Wish you the best of luck, it's awful :(

lol we did this with Tabitha.
I'd go in, lie her down, give her a kiss and say Go to Sleep, firmly but gently and just leave her! the less interaction the better in our case :)

Michelle that's exactly what we are doing. It's the hours of her being awake that is annoying.

Michelle that's exactly what we are doing. It's the hours of her being awake that is annoying.

I know, little buggers sometimes lol!
We used to mute her monitor, and leave our bedroom door open so I would only hear her if she cried loudly... I was keeping myself away hearing every little thing. I'm currently trying to sort my son out, he wakes for a feed every night and I'm cutting it out by giving water... It's worked the last 2 nights. I think we will persevere a week with the water then get tough and just pop a cup of water in his cot and hope for the best!

is she quiet or crying? We had to do cc with dd but hers was a sleep association issue. Also look at her daytime nap and what time she is going to bed at night.

I am right there with you. I wouldn't mind giving him a bottle (and I do), its the 90 minutes he is awake for after that annoy me. DH and I work FT and we have a 2 year old so I am pooped and pissed (off)!

Tom did this too from 9-14 months and then again from 24 to about 27 months. It was an absolute killer cos he'd be wide awake every night for 3 hours and would scream and scream if left on his own but was happy just to be held.

He did finally grow out of it but we do still get a night now and again where he'll sleep till about 2am and then be awake for 2 or 3 hrs for no real reason.

It's really hard when you need to be up in the morning.

Thanks everyone, the professionals I'm getting advice from tell me she is overtired and still needs 2 naps a day (would love to see them try). Most of the time if I get her down at 11am she will sleep for 3 hours and that seems to do her fine. I find that even if we do that all week we will still have 1or 2 nights I am up. Although the professionals dismiss it I still think it's got something to do with the fact that her father works such long hours and so she doesn't see much of him.

Oh dear just got really cross with her instead of staying calm. Seems to have worked but, feel really guilty. I don't want her to fear going to sleep.

Since DS was about 1 he's had a one hour nap, hour and half if I was lucky. But he used to wake during the night but I was a lazy mum and started bring him into bed where he'd snuggle in and go back to sleep.

Not ideal he was in our bed but we all got more sleep.

My son is 20 months and he wakes in the night about 2am and he's awake for hours to ! He's tired just won't go bk off! I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant and its killing me x

mine was sleeping through the night but the 18 month regression hit us early along with the worst of the teeth i am told coming in. Mind you she had only been sleeping through the night 4 months before it hit.

Donnarobinson it sounds like we are in the same position. Not fun.
Tommyg I have tried having her in our bed but, due to her being in a brace for hip dysplasia she takes up do much room plus she will kick and poke us for the 2 hours she would normally be fussing in bed.

I think I have worked out part of the problem but, there's not much I can do about it. She hasn't seen her dad a lot lately due to his work hours and she and I were interstate for a funeral a couple of weeks ago.it certainly can't be helping.

Ladies I really hope our kids are all sleeping better soon.

Poor thing being in a brace.
Hope she sleeps better soon, I would be tempted to reduce the day time nap. Is she In a cot or a bed? She might sleep better in a bed which is wider than the cot/crib.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->