Sleeping on side/belly

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Tanikins, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Tanikins

Tanikins mum to 1

Has anyone let there lo sleep on there side/belly before they can roll over??? My lb is only 10 weeks but hates laying on his back if you put him down on his back he just screams but if you put him on hos belly he falls asleep straight away! Ive propped him up with a pillow as i dont have a wedgy thing on his play mat (not sure what id use in hos mosses basket) is this ok or is he gonna suffacate himself??

2. TattiesMum

TattiesMum Well-Known Member

A lot of babies sleep better when they are on their tummies, but it's against all recommended advice. :hugs:

Their breathing can be compromised, they can overheat easily and it's a major SIDS risk :( Propping on their side isn't recommended either as they can easily roll onto their fronts from that position

Have you tried swaddling him before laying him on his back? I think the reason they like to sleep on their front is that it makes them feel safer somehow (like being enclosed in the womb), and firm swaddling can have a similar effect :flower:

3. Tanikins

Tanikins mum to 1

He just thrashes about if you swaddle so we have to use a gro bag. I wont let him sleep on his belly then - thanks

4. RainbowDrop_x

RainbowDrop_x Well-Known Member

No no no.. Please if you're LO can not roll on his own, do NOT put him on his tummy.. He may sleep better but it is not worth the risk.

5. Tanikins

Tanikins mum to 1

Ok i wont i just read somewhere you can buy like 2 rolled blackets connected by a sheet you can lay them between but i wont get 1 - i obv dont wanna risk losing him!!!

6. TattiesMum

TattiesMum Well-Known Member

Those are quite good and are designed to stop them rolling onto their sides or fronts once they get to the rolling stage :thumbup: They might help him feel more 'snug' when laying on his back though :hugs:

7. clever_blond

clever_blond Well-Known Member

Emily suffered when she was born with choking on mucous which had gathered on her chest and she couldn't get rid of it herself. We cat were advised to sleep her on her side propped up with a rolled up blanket so that she was half on heru back half on her side.

Only you know what is best for your lo and i wouldn't have done it had i not been advised to. You could always speak to your doctor or health visitor and take their advise.

8. HungryHippo

HungryHippo Domestic Engineer

We let our LO nap on her side - and she'll roll on her belly. We understand the risks and have decided to continue letting LO nap on her side and stomach. She gets more sleep and she's monitored so we feel she's safe.

9. LJaydow

LJaydow Jack, Elizabeth

This is Jacks trick now he has learnt how to roll. I regularly wake up to him swimming on his front with an arm or a leg dangling out of the cot.

When he was younger he used to go on his side but I was always far too paranoid to leave him so would roll him back and watch him like a hawk

10. hulahoop09

hulahoop09 Mum to lg and pg #2

Our lo has slept on her tummy quite a bit. Main reasons being that she gets quite a bit of mucous and also ia being treated for reflux and most of the time she will only sleep on her tummy. I know there are risks but a lot of things in life. A friend of mine slept both of hers on their tum and also my dad aais the only way I would settle is on my tum. Xx

11. jaytee146

jaytee146 Blessed mommy to a beautiful girl and growing lo

my lo sleeps on her side and tummy only when monitored. at nite due to her reflux she sleeps on her back while her head is propped slightly.

12. lilliesmummie

lilliesmummie Well-Known Member

I let lillie NAP on her side, never tummy. But she sleeps best on her side, so i let her, until shes asleep, then i gently move her to her back. Its up to you hun Xx

13. MissFish

MissFish Well-Known Member

SIDS guidelines state side sleeping has the same risks as tummy sleeping, & to not use positioners & wedges....

That said, my LO sleeps on her tummy for various reasons. It's a decision you will have to make as their mother.

14. katlin

katlin Mom of 5

I sleep my nine week old on three side if this is a choice you make I urge you to look at the first years wedge it personally gives me the piece of mind to allow her to

15. NewMummyx

NewMummyx mummy to 1 and WTT

My LO will only sleep on his tummy has done since birth

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING OTHERS LET THEIR BABIES DO THIS, SIMPLY GIVING MY EXPERIENCE!

I have an Angelcare monitor for him but he can roll now thankfully x

16. Sunshine1005

Sunshine1005 Member

I sleep my baby on his tummy and monitor him through out the night. Putting a sleep positioner in the crib with a baby is worse than sleeping on their bellies. The baby can easily roll onto it and suffocate on it.. you really shouldnt put loose items in the crib with an infant. And there arent any legit studies showing sleep positioners are safe.

17. mistyscott

mistyscott Well-Known Member

It feels like its not the done thing to admit....but we put LO on his tummy to sleep and have done for the last couple weeks. He has very good neck control and is very capable of moving his head about, and on his back he just startles himself awake after a few minutes whereas he doesn't seem to startle on his front.
    We know all the advice but it's a decision we've made as his parents. Oh, and he sleeps in a bednest so I can hear and monitor him easily.