Sleeping on side...

misslissa

TTC our first!
Reaction score
Just wondering about side sleeping, should you be sticking to one side, preferably the left or is it ok to swap left to right? I'm 29 weeks so msybe it's too soon to worry about this but it would be good to get baby in optimal position for birth and blood flow etc.

Most people on here will tell you left side is preferable but my hospital said either side... Whatever is most comfy for you! My hip starts to hurt after a few hours so I have to rotate several times through the night.

Best side for blood flow is your left side but I find that I get a lot of pains in my legs if I stick to the same way so I swap and change sides all the time and I have even woke up on my back.

That's how I am, I'm trying to be on my left but after a while I get uncomfy and end up swapping to my right and can wake up on my back too. So does all this swapping affect where baby ends up? Just thinking if he gets cosy on the left then I move does he then move to the right!

Sorry if I'm being daft but its confusing.

I sleep any way I feel comfortable. My body always lets me know if I shouldn't be doing something and I just go with what it tells me. Most of the time I end up sleeping with a pillow under my back only on 1 side so I feel like I'm sleeping on my back but Without the pressure pushing on the big blood vessel back there. :thumbup: if not then I just swap left to right.

I'm not sure but I think it does... only because of personal experience. I had my whooping cough done in my left arm and had a reaction so I couldn't sleep on that side for 2 weeks! After sleeping on my right for so long baby is very much on the right side and my bump is very lopsided.

I was told that for birth to make sure baby is not back to back and to start sitting leaning forward from 26 weeks and will help baby turn and get into position. Dont think it matters what side you sleep on as its uncomfortable in pregnancy and ways

I know I sleep on both sides. I'm more comfortable on my left side most of the time but I find that I toss and turn a lot during the night and switch back and forth. I'd say which ever is the most comfy for you!

my last pregnancy i could only lay on the left, my baby would kick around like crazy if i laid on right and later while in labor, when she was monitored the doc saw a drop in her heartbeat when i laid on my right- in her case it was left only

Everyone seems to say left is best, but I asked my gyno, cuz I find it really hard to sleep on my left side, and she said not to worry about it too much regardless.
I tend to try and fall asleep on my left side with the preggo pillow at my back and between my legs, but by the morning I'm almost always on my back with the preggo pillow under my knees, keeping them elevated. I also have the head of my bed elevated (have done for years), so I'm not actually sleepinig flat on my back in any case.

I'm finding it comical to roll over now. I feel and look like a beached whale. It takes me extra time to move.

Sleeping on either side is fine. Left is preferable due to blood vessels but by no means the only way you should be sleeping.

I switch from side to side. I just can't spend all night on my left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->