Sleeping on Tummy...

RedBreeze5

2nd Trimester
Reaction score
I am plus size and 16 weeks pregnant with difficulties sleeping on my sides. I start out the night on my side but notice numerous times during the night I end up on my tummy. I am not showing nor is my tummy hard and don't feel any pain while on my stomach.

Does anyone else do this? What are the risks of tummy sleeping? What methods are you using to stay on your sides through the night?

Thank you!

There is no risk of sleeping on your stomach, as far as I am aware. I did it nearly to the end with my last pregnancy and am still doing it with this pregnancy. No problems and I have checked it out with my midwife and she said as long as you are comfortable, there are no problems. Don't worry. Long as though you can sleep, I think is the main point. :)

I have the same problem... I'm 18 weeks and showing slightly and I had the same problem as you up until last week. My OH bought me one of these full body cushions that you use during pregnancy (available at baby stores) and it works wonders!!! I only sleep on my sides now and the cushion prevents me from lying on my tummy and it also helps with backache as the cushion also goes between your knees.

I think its safe to do unless it hurts?
I sleep on my front sometimes and im fine :)

hi!
i was sleeping on my tummy till about 15 weeks-now i sleep on my back or side as ive naturally started feeling uncomfortable on my tum now its getting bigger (im a size 18 and just starting to show-just let your body tell u-it knows best!
:sleep: !!!!!

I tend to support myself on my side with a pillow.. as I normally like to sleep on my front. I have found that when I do sleep on my front it's uncomfortable and I get woken by the kicking!

i can sleep on front for a short time, then baby moves as if to say "i'm squashed" and i have to move.

I sleep on my right side, almost on my tummy, with a pillow under my bump.

Get a sore back on my back and feel sick on my left side.

Sleep however you feel comfortable, if it hurts you'll soon move.

we need a bed thats got a hole in the middle enabling us to lay on our tummys but our tummys slot into a hole to make it more comfortable!

i managed to turn myself onto my tummy in my sleep when i was about 40 weeks! i woke up like how the hell!

I'm still sleeping on my tummy, I've had a couple of occasions where I can't for a couple days as it's too uncomfortable, but I'm still alright now and my bump is mahhhusive lol

i can't sleep on my tummy in the slightest...i end up abt 5ft off the bed! plus LO kicks like mad as if he's kicking the mattress! i used to always sleep on my front so i find it v weird these days that i can't. i find pillows all round me help...then u can half sleep on ur front using the pillows as support. i'm really looking forward to being able to sleep on my front once baby has arrived- i bet its gonna feel so strange.

I don't think there's any risk as the baby is so well protected - it's just the comfort factor!!

And my MW told me that sleeping on my back is fine, the only risk is trapping the vein which can cause you to go dizzy/passing out - but most people would wake up and move before that happens..

I always laid on my stomach before my bfp and found it soooo hard readjusting to new positions. The one thing I found helped in the end was buying an extra pillow, lying on my side, slightly facing forward, and letting the rest of my weight rest on the pillow.

I'm not sure if this would work for you, I'm not plus size and don't have a huge bump but I definately feel the weight of it pulling to one side when I'm lying down so need the extra support the pillow offers :rofl:

I can't even think about sleeping on my tummy, it's just not physically possible! haha....

I think you can as long as you're comfy? Not sure though, I know you're not supposed to sleep on your back after a certain week, is it the same for your belly? Try sleeping between pillows if you're trying to stay on your sides :)

I'm still sleeping on my front. If it gets uncomfortable I don't sleep on my front but it is fine as long as I'm not in any sort of pain etc....xx

I'm 16 weeks but already showing and I find it sooo difficult to find a good position to sleep! I am worried how it's going to be possible later on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->