Sleeping on tummy?

Sam292

Reaction score
When would/did you feel comfortable letting baby sleep on their tummy? My ds has good head control and can move it from side to side but can only roll from front to back not back to front.

He still suffers terribly with wind and if I put him on his tummy it obviously helps as he goes straight to sleep but then I have to flip him which wakes him up. He used to sleep on his tummy on my chest when he had bad wind but is way to heavy for that now. Does anyone know the reasons tummy sleeping is supposed to contribute to SIDS?

Violet has always slept on her tummy for most of the night right since she was 7 weeks old as its the only way she would sleep... Now she is rolling I start her off on her back and she just rolls onto her tummy or side. I do have an Angelcare monitor though, just for total peace of mind.

I think its something to do with compressing airways or breathing in old air rather than fresh air if the face is pressed into the mattress but Im no expert on the reasons... I do think its ok for babies to tummy sleep generally when they can lift their heads and roll
but you could ask your HV or Dr to reassure you? :)

I wrote the exact same thread about a week ago and all the girls here reassured me that he would be fine as hes over six months and obviously if your LO can roll over onto there front then they can probably roll back.

Im done worrying now, as theres little i can do about it to be honest!

But i worried for days so ur not alone :hugs:

i cant actually find the reason why they dont recommend it they just all say not too. :shrug:

when my LO was 5 months old we were having a total nightmare getting her to sleep on her back, she would drop her dummy at any given opportunity (mostly to get me back in the room). soifirst after reading some stories i put her on her side to try patting her on her back and it progressed into sleeping on her tummy.

it works really well for us and i think i didnt give her enough credit to be able to move herself out of a dangerous position.

at the end of the day if you are comfortable trying it then go for it, and you said he had good head control so he will be able to turn.

i would recommend he be over 4 months before trying it though.

good luck.

ps. my LO still cannot roll from back to front x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"