Sleeping solutions...Any advice about travel cots?

Mummy and Preggo with #2!
Reaction score
I have been thinking about sleeping solutions for when bubs arrives and have had an idea - would appreciate anyones thoughts/advice on this. Please feel free to tell me if I am insane! :haha:

Originally we were going to buy a cotbed with cot divider to make it smaller and swaddle bubs for the first while then move the divider to make it gradually bigger. That was going to be in our bedroom until he was ready to go into the nursery.
For downstairs we were going to use the carrycot that fits on top of our Britax B-smart pushchair.

Then we decided against all of the above and thought - why not buy a nice travel cot and upgrade the mattress to the same quality you would have in a cot. We could have the travel cot upstairs at night and then take downstairs for during the day. That way, bubs always gets to sleep in the same bed. I have seen some nifty ones that aren't too heavy so I don't think it would be too much hassle. DH works from home anyway so could do all the lifting and shifting. Have noticed ones like the Graco Contour Electra come with a raised bassinet portion as well as a changing table which seems to make sense.
Ideally I would like to get one that lasts until a child is 2 years at least...

I am unusually against moses baskets for some reason and worry the cats might knock it over so that is not a solution. I would consider a swinging crib...:shrug;

Thoughts? Opinions? Sighs of disbelief? :blush:

I think your first idea was much better - why did you change your mind on it?

It really would be hell of a hassle to fold-up and take out mattress and move the cot upstairs at night and the same in the morning - I think you would regret it!!!

You said you liked the idea as then LO will always be asleep in the same bed. It is recommended that baby knows the difference between day naps and the big night-time sleep - and a good way of doing this is by different sleeping places/beds - your LO will be sleeping/napping in the same cot so it might cause confusion????

I would go back to your original plans:thumbup:

I personally, would go with your cot and the pram top.
We did that and Tobi slept brillianylt in his pram top. We ended up using that rather than the moses basket and put it in the cot next to me, before moving him to the big cot properly. We have the same pram. I also have the fleece foot muff which TOBI loved to snuggle into.
In fact, when I go to my parents, I put tobi into the foot muff on the bednext to me, and he sleeps like a trooper.

I think you would get p'd off moving the travel cot around all the time.

Yep, I'd stick to your original idea too. Travel cots are brilliant - for travelling, but while LO is still not able to sit up on his own, I'd hate to have to keep bending right over to put him down/pick him up.

In the early weeks, I used to bring the moses basket downstairs for his daytime naps (I know you don't like the moses basket option), and then he would sleep in his basket in his room at night. At 4 weeks, he started all his daytime naps in his room too and by 6 weeks was sleeping through the night. We transferred him into his cotbed at 5.5 months.

If you get a really sturdy stand, there's no way a cat would be able to knock a moses basket over. x

I agree with the others, i think your first idea made a lot more sense and will be easier for you aswell. xx

Oh, and you mentioned about cats - I have no experience at all of cats, but if a cat was anywhere near any moses basket/cot/travel cot could it not jump in??

Yes it could but I was originally going to get a cot cat protection net that goes up the side of the cot and over the top, down the other side for overnight. During the day you can also get a cat net that fits over the pram.....but I would be watching most of the time anyway.

Thanks ladies. Don't know I why I have to start with one idea and then complicate things! :dohh:

You're first idea was better.. I personally wouldn't put LO in the same bed they sleep in during the night during the day iykwim?? We did that with DD and had no end of problems because she didn't know what was night and what was day thus waking 3/4 times in the night!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->