Slightly odd craving...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by Linzi, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

Mackrel/sardines in tomato sauce on toast :blush:

I haven't eaten any yet though (Ive been sticking to sardine & tomato paste lol) does anyone know if its safe & if protions should be limited? Everywhere online is telling me something different, and I NEED MACKEREL!! :)

xxx

2. Lawhra

Lawhra NowProudMumOfTwo!!

Ooh I bought mackerel in tomato sauce to try on toast, not a craving just something I thought I'd try as mackerel is really good for you and I love it. I had been craving smoked mackerel and having one small portion a week but have had enough of that now. It is important to eat oily fish like those for the baby's developing brain. Not too sure on portions but I am sticking to one portion per week because I eat tuna too.

3. MoonMelody

MoonMelody Well-Known Member

Swordfish and mackerel are big nonos during pregnancy! :nope: They are the only two kinds of fish that we have to avoid completely.

4. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

I heard only king mackerel should be avoided altogether?

Fish with high amounts of mercury eg swordfish are ones that live for a long time.

xxx

5. Lawhra

Really? I thought Mackerel was ok? Oh yikes I'm worried now!

6. Lawhra

7. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

thats the thing everyone says something different everywhere Ive looked, I dont know whats right. Im not seeing my midwife for another 5 weeks either so cant even ask her xx

8. Lawhra

Oh I see. It is difficult when there is conflicting evidence. I suppose, unless you can ask her on the phone, just go with what makes you more comfortable.

9. Linzi

Linzi Prodest mummy ever

Well on the FSA website it doesn't mention it - Im sure if it was dangerous it would say. Might just stick to 2 portions a week just incase :) xx

10. Palestrina

Palestrina Well-Known Member

https://www.pregnancy-calendars.net/fish.aspx This is a good list of fish dos and donts.

I only heard that King Mackerel was not allowed. Little mackerels that are up to a foot long should be completely completely fine. Remember, the rule is that the bigger the fish is the more mercury it has in it. The smaller the fish, the less there is to worry about.

I eat mackerel.

11. SiBelle

SiBelle Mother

MMmm that sounds delicious! Last week, I opened a can of smoked oysters and proceeded to eat them all. Probably not the healthiest but exactly what I needed at the time :)

12. MrsMalowey

MrsMalowey Mummy to Sophie

I have been eating mackerel and sardines on toast with a ton of butter, so yummy. Not too many though just in case. My Nhs pregnancy book says oily fish is good for developing brain etc so i figured in moderation it is fine x