Slipping down to nipple

ChaiTea

Reaction score
My LO latches no problem but it's rarely a perfect latch even when we try over and over. When we do get a good latch, he usually ends up breaking the suction a few times during the feeding and before I know it he's slipped down to having just the nipple. I've tried making usre he is good and secure against me but it always seems to happen. I've unlatched and relatched, but would really like to get to a point where we go through entire feedings without all that. He's 19 days old today and this has been happening for about 4 days now. Very concerned about starting bad habits that will be hard to break later. Plus it's no fun for sore nipples! We got past bleeding and open sores, halfway through an antibiotic for mastitis right now, so I was hoping the general soreness would lessen soon so we could have more enjoyable nursing sessions coming up!
Any advice is appreciated.

I don't really have any advice but my daughter was like this for the first couple of months occasionally we'd get a decent latch but it would shallow out sometime during the feed but once her mouth got a bit bigger she could fit more in and her latch is a thousand times better.

As PP said, babys mouth is small to start with. I find that I occasionally have to 'pinch' my nipple between my forefinger and my middle finger to make it easier for LO to stay latched on iykwim? Hang in there, it gets easier :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->