SMA or Cow & Gate??

richajm

New Mummy :)<3
Reaction score
why is it so hard to choose what milk to use? im due in 6 days so need to make my mind up! SMA is a little more exspensive but is that because its better? should i just buy cow & gate and hope for the best?? advice would be appriciated :) x :flower:

I don't know why the prices vary so much! Formula is very regulated so I'm not sure how much difference there actually is. I used Aptimal at first but then switched to C&G because it was cheaper and virtually the same (made by the same company).

I seem to remember that SMA doesn't have any fibre in it.... which is what made me choose another brand. But plenty of babies are fine on it and it wasn't really an educated decision that I made!

I chose sma as baby was sick alot on cow and gate

SMA does have fibre in it which was added recently, but it is soluble fibre known as oligosaccharides (sp?) aka prebiotics; the 'bran' type of fibre (also known as insoluble fibre or roughage) isn't suitable for babies as it can clog them up more and stop them absorbing certain nutrients effectively. Prebiotics help some babies to poo more easily but aside from that benefit there isn't any other proven benefit to the immune system or anything else. Richajm in this country all the formulas have to meet very stringent regulations, so they are all very similar and all must contain certain levels of vitamins and minerals. Any other added ingredients such as LCPs are not proven to have any benefit or nutritional advantage, it is only in the past 5 years that the government agreed to allow these extra ingredients in formula, if they were so necessary then the government would have made it law that they have to be in formula and would have done so much longer ago. Good luck! xx

I think its more of a trial and error thing. We used SMA to start with but had problems with reflux and we found Hipp organic made him alot better.
I wouldn't stock up though, just buy one lot incase it doesn't suit LO xxxx

SMA does have fibre in it which was added recently, but it is soluble fibre known as oligosaccharides (sp?) aka prebiotics; the 'bran' type of fibre (also known as insoluble fibre or roughage) isn't suitable for babies as it can clog them up more and stop them absorbing certain nutrients effectively. Prebiotics help some babies to poo more easily but aside from that benefit there isn't any other proven benefit to the immune system or anything else. Richajm in this country all the formulas have to meet very stringent regulations, so they are all very similar and all must contain certain levels of vitamins and minerals. Any other added ingredients such as LCPs are not proven to have any benefit or nutritional advantage, it is only in the past 5 years that the government agreed to allow these extra ingredients in formula, if they were so necessary then the government would have made it law that they have to be in formula and would have done so much longer ago. Good luck! xx

wow. your in the knowledge! :) thank you very much xxx

I think its more of a trial and error thing. We used SMA to start with but had problems with reflux and we found Hipp organic made him alot better.
I wouldn't stock up though, just buy one lot incase it doesn't suit LO xxxx

I completely agree, different milks suit different babies. We started with SMA too but my LO had problems with reflux and colic, when we switched to C&G Comfort he was like a different baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"