Small baby, growth scan?

Dill

Reaction score
As some may have already read, I had good news at yesterday's checkup (40 weeks is a real possibility because I have not dilated much further, she no longer thinks I'm going to have preterm labor, and my strep b test was negative). The only thing was that baby was on the smaller side, according to the quickie ultrasound, measuring in at roughly 5.5 pounds. She didn't seem terribly concerned, assured me it would mean an easier labor, and we had a bit of a laugh about the fact that my husband and I are both short.

Well, I just took a call from her nurse, and apparently, she's decided that I need an in-depth ultrasound and growth scan because there is some concern that perhaps there is an issue with the placenta or umbilical cord, and she wants to be absolutely certain that everything is functioning normally, and that I have a good amount of fluid.

I am freaking out again, after I was finally feeling like everything was going to be okay.

I'm sorry, Dill! That's certainly additional stress you didn't need! I don't have any advice, but I'll keep you in my thoughts. Hopefully he's just a little baby.. (I'd love 5.5 lbs...DH was 12!)

Thing is, if he gains a half pound per week until I hit 40 weeks, which is about average at this point, he'll be 7 pounds ... which isn't abnormal!

it'll possibly be that they've plotted baby just under the 10th percentile, which will warrant a further scan. However if baby has been on the smallish side all along, but growing at a steady pace, I wouldn't be too concerned. You may just have an early EDD also; they kept telling me Joel was going to be tiny, and he was 8lb 5 at birth (10 days overdue)!

I agree, they probably want to just be more accurate. Ultrasound weights can be off by a pound or so, so if it's on the low side they may just want to double check to see if they can get a better read.

Try not to worry, and just enjoy seeing your little ones wiggly body soon! :)

My EDD is accurate; we were trying really hard for this little guy, so I know the exact date of conception. He's measured pretty much right on track right up until recently, but she's had a hard time doing it based on fundus height because he keeps settling lower and lower into my pelvis. So she did the ultrasound two weeks in a row, but just the portable one, which is old and not particularly good. And now they're setting me up with the actual ultrasound tech, with their high-end ultrasound.

I'm trying really hard not to worry. Baby still seems fine to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->