Small dilemma

ellie

Mum to Kalden
Reaction score
What do people think?

We had a private scan yesterday (which put us at 8w3d). Apparently they don't send anything to your GP unless there's a problem or you ask them to. So far I haven't had any contact with my doctor's - I tried to book in with a midwife a few weeks ago, but she said they don't see people until they're at least 8-9 weeks, so I'm seeing her on Monday. It occurred to me that if I give her the results of the private scan, she might say that they won't do a 12 week scan? I wondered whether to keep quiet about it ... ?

Have others who have had private scans told their medics and if so what was the response?

Thanks! :hug:

Hi hon. I haven't got any real advice for you but I would definately keep quiet if I was in your position. If everything was fine on the private scan I don't see the point in risking being refused a 12 week scan! Good luck and congratulations x

My GP recommended us for an early scan and we still had the 12 week scan.

I don't think they'd deny you - it is everyone's right on the NHS, which we all pay for. And those who only get one scan get the 12 week one.

In many places they use it to do initial tests for Downs etc (if you want them to). And to properly date the pg, which has a bearing on hospitals, further ante natal appointments etc.

My early scan put us at 6+3 and my 12 week scan put us a week further on than that - 12 weeks is in the optiumum time window to date a pg.

I don't think you should worry about it.

i would keep quiet, just in case they dont do the other one! xx

i kept quiet about my 2 early scans, ignorance is bliss ;)

i would keep quiet too, you dont want to risk it, this is the NHS were talking about!

I'd keep quiet!

But then i am sulking because after our emergency scan last week (at 8+1) we were told we now won't get a 12 week dating scan and have to wait until the 20 week scan to see our LO again and know everything is okay!!!!! :hissy:

I'd keep quiet!

But then i am sulking because after our emergency scan last week (at 8+1) we were told we now won't get a 12 week dating scan and have to wait until the 20 week scan to see our LO again and know everything is okay!!!!! :hissy:

I went to see the doctors today about leg pain - turns out to be sciatica, spoke to her about my midwife suggesting I wouldn't get another scan and she said because it's precautionary, fear of miscarriage, they should still do a 12 week scan anyway. I have a friend who works at macc, I'll get them to find out for you chick xx

I'd keep it quiet if they are strict about ultrasounds... I had one 3/17, 4/8, & 4/14... I had a nightmare of a dr for the first two and I switched to one of the best noted ones in Boston, MA, USA. She told me I can have a scan once a month if I'd like... some people have the smaller machines at home and can look themselves... it's sound waves- not all that harmful as long as you don't do them daily- cause thats over stimulation to the fetus.

I'd just keep it hush and get another one... scans are AMAZING... from the 5week to 9week pics, my baby is now more than a dot! You can see the arms, legs, eye sockets- it's clear but just small. I go back 4/30 (12weeks) to have IS testing done which is an ultrasound and blood test- it measures the neck of the baby and uses the blood to check for any deformities or growth issues (down syndrome... etc). Then 16 weeks I'll have another blood test to confirm the 1st findings (if any).

:hug:

thanks all :hugs: I think I'll keep it quiet unless they ask. rebaby - that's so sh*te - can't believe the nhs sometimes - can you do anything about that? if the 12 week one is for dating / nuchal fold as well?

thanks thirdtime - what's macc? :blush:

They won't stop you having one hun, but its your choice! I told my midwife last time just because I was soo excited and proud, I think I must have mentioned the scan to every tom, dick and harry!

I told the midwife straight that i've booked private scans...if the NHS does not want to provide me with reasurance then i will do it myself...you pay NI and they should not deny you a scan you have a right to one just like every other girl (whether they have paid for one or not!)xx

thanks all :hugs: I think I'll keep it quiet unless they ask. rebaby - that's so sh*te - can't believe the nhs sometimes - can you do anything about that? if the 12 week one is for dating / nuchal fold as well?

thanks thirdtime - what's macc? :blush:

Well it was the sister in EPAU who said this so i'm not taking her word for it- i'm going to ring antenatal next week and check it out. There is no way i could wait until 20 weeks so if they stand their ground about no 12 week scan then we'll be paying for one ourselves i guess! But we could do without the expense because we're moving house in 6 weeks! :hissy: Eek!

I think thirdtime meant Macclesfield (Hospital) as that's where i'm booked.

:hug:

How much are early viability scans in the UK?

I know it probably varies from hospital o hospital but its something I'd love to do but dont know if its even worth me considering it based on price??

Miss Charlie - search for 'private scan' or 'babybond' - seems to be a popular company and national.

Rebaby - I'd be very surprised if they refuse to give you a 12 week scan; for the reasons I already said in my first post and also because EPAU are not the people who do all the scans, just the early ones, so they shouldn't be getting involved in any ante natal care past the 'EP' bit.

Crikey I am really surprised at everyone saying keep quiet :shock:

I had two early scans, and didn't think twice about telling my doc or midwife. Just booked in for a delayed 12w (actually 13w+2)

As someone else said, it's the NHS which means you have the same rights and the next person. Both the early scans were NHS also. No complications with having your regular scans.

Don't fear m'dear xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"