Small gestational sac for dates.. any similar experiences? UPDATE 2nd Hcg Beta results

Rhiaberry

Reaction score
I'm 5 weeks today by LMP (8th Feb CD1).. I had intercourse on the 23rd Feb, my first bfp was 5th March and I have not tracked ovulation. I had an early scan today to see if the pregnancy is in the right place and all that was seen on the screen was a small gestational sac measuring 3.3mm by 2.3mm with no yolk sac inside... she said she expected to see more at this point. I had my first hcg beta draw today and its at 2232.8 - has anyone else been through anything like this and what was the outcome?

UPDATE: Second hcg beta came back today at 4976 so it's just over doubled! I have a scan booked in 5days... Keeping everything crossed!

Last edited:
I had the same with my first pregnancy. I ovulated late so at my first scan they said they should have seen more. All was ok in the end. Are they seeing you again next week?

I'm having repeat blood on Friday morning (48hours) and repeat scab in 7 to 10days. What gestation were you when you went back? And did you get a hcg beta?

No at the time they didn’t offer beta. I was 6 weeks according to my dates when I first went in. Hoping for reassuring results on Friday! Keep us posted. :hugs:

No at the time they didn’t offer beta. I was 6 weeks according to my dates when I first went in. Hoping for reassuring results on Friday! Keep us posted. :hugs:
So you were meant to be 6weeks but you measured what at the scan?

At 5 weeks you wouldn’t see that much and what you are seeing sounds like the norm for the stage your at.
I’ve had scans at 5 weeks and seen just a sack
Then gone back 2 weeks later and see baby and hb.
Congratulations on your pregnancy

Last edited:
At 5 weeks you wouldn’t see that much and what you are seeing sounds like the norm for the stage your at.
I’ve had scans at 5 weeks and seen just a sack
Then gone back 2 weeks later and see baby and hb.
Congratulations on your pregnancy

My sac was so super small. They couldn't even confirm it was a pregnancy in there. Hoping rising numbers means that they see more and there isn't any ectopics

Actually, the fact that they could see a sac at 5 weeks is a good sign. The fetal pole doesn't develop until 5.5-6 weeks and the heartbeat starts around 6 weeks as well so I'm not sure why your doctor was expecting more than what you did see. I am not sure what the measurements equal in dates but with your numbers rising so well and the sac being visible, I'd say things are looking okay. I've had an ultrasound done at 5+6 and the tech saw the gestational sac, a yolk sac and a little bump that she thought *might* be the fetal pole. The sac measured 5+4 but I wasn't worried because my babies have always measured a bit smaller than my dates. Went back in at 6+3 because I was bleeding and we saw the sac, yolk, and the fetal pole with a heartbeat. She's now my feisty high spirited 8.5 year old.

I know it's hard to trust that things are going to be okay with a history of loss and the dr being a bit more negative but for now, it seems like things are as they should be. Hopefully the time flies til your next scan and you get the news you are hoping for.

My sac was so super small. They couldn't even confirm it was a pregnancy in there. Hoping rising numbers means that they see more and there isn't any ectopics

I pray your next scan goes really well hon.
It’s so hard being pregnant after losses.
I’ve also had alot of losses. We been ttc now for 13 months and I’ve had 3 losses and I had 4 losses b4 I fell with my son. I’ve had 10 losses in total.
I know I’ll be a nervous wreck if and when I fall pregnant again. It’s just so hard after loss to not have major anxiety.
Hugs to you

Good luck sweetie <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->