Smokers and Non-Smokers

dannyboygirl

Mom to Baby Cubz
Reaction score
:hi:girls,

Congrats on all of your beautiful bumps and babies. :happydance:May they all arrive safely with my prayers..Anyways I made everyone that held my baby have a recieving blanket over there chest and arms and over my baby. (first 2 months til vaccines) This is why?

1.Smokers can give baby 3rd hand smoke from clothes to baby lungs.

2.Perfume can get on babys skin and clothes.(cause a rash)happen to mine:(

3.Everyone has different germs that come from their clothes(pets,dander)

4.Want to make them use the antibacterial stuff up the arm and hands too.

:flower:Sorry if it seams mean but people that get offended are the ones that want to be difficult. Baby health comes 1st.Anyone have any other tips to add in?:hugs::blush:

I agree with asking smokers to wash their hands before holding a baby - I stopped smoking when I got my BFP and would always have washed my hands before touching a baby. I won't let anyone smoke near my baby or in my house.

I won't be doing any of the other stuff though - antibacterial hand gel for the first two weeks and then I will expose baby to normal everyday germs to let her build up an immune system
xxx

A tip for smokers - read Allen Carr's book https://www.allencarrseasyway.com/

23 years of addiction shackles, I read his book and I was free!

That's the best tip I'd give to smokers. Oh, and keep the eff away from my baby :D

Hmm didnt personally do this with mine but i do agree with certain things like not letting someone whos had a cigarette hold the baby for at least 30 mins after as they still breathe it out aparently??

I wont let anyone who smokes hold my baby... As for the other stuff I'm not going to be concerned about, I think hand sanitizer is a bit much, if they aren't exposed to germs then they cant build immunity!

And with biocidal hand gels, the efficacy lasts for around 4 hours, so you'd have to keep on replenshing it anyway. Plus, I've read the efficacy reports on these gels (I need to for work) and there is always some microorganisms left on the skin, so they can never remove every single organism. We all have a natural flora, it's supposed to be there. Normal washing is sufficient, anti bac gels really arent necessary.

I agree with misscream with the hand sanitizer thing...I've never been a fan of antibacterial, especially for babies and kids. If you don't let them build up an immunity, they'll always be sick.
It's unrealistic for me to not let someone who smokes hold my baby (although I kinda wish I could do that!) because my MIL and FIL smoke. I will have them wash their hands though...and they smoke inside their apartment, so we won't be going over to their house with the baby; they'll have to come see her at our house. I'm sure they'll complain about that, but too bad! If they choose to smoke while they are visiting our house (outside of course), I'll have them wear jackets or sweaters to absorb most of the smoke, so their clothes underneath won't be as bad.
I'm a bit worried about how it's going to go, I don't want to seem unreasonable, but at the same time, my baby's health comes first! I smoked for a very long time, and quit before TTC...if I wanted her exposed to smoke, I would have kept smoking myself!!

With all respect - why dont u get a gas mask for baby too.
I totally get it.. wash hands etc etc but to go OTT (in my opinon) and you will make ur baby ill.

With Theo everyone had to wash hands after smoking and coats OFF.

He was held by people with perfume on (i guess they did) and he was fine

End of day your baby ur rules... if i was to come round to see u and u asked me to do all that i would respect u for it. so im sure others will

I totally get it.. wash hands etc etc but to go OTT (in my opinon) and you will make ur baby ill.

End of day your baby ur rules... if i was to come round to see u and u asked me to do all that i would respect u for it. so im sure others will

Sorry I'm having an idiot day, what does OTT mean?

I did ask people to wash their hands before holding my son when he came home. But then, he was a 28 week prem and very vulnerable to infection... But thnk i might prefer people to wash hands when handling my baby anyway. Never thought of perfume as a problem though.

:haha::happydance:

That was too funny.My child has been sick only 2 times since birth. You don't do it forever just the first two months until she got her vaccines. I mean I feel where your coming from also:). Its all personnal preference in the end. Thanks for all your advice and posts:winkwink:..

i'm sorry but this is a bit ott! second hand smoke gets to babies even if someone down the road is smoking, it's not going to stop it by people washing their hands etc.

smoke stays on the rest of the body plus clothes and hair and breath for hours lol

also your child can get very ill as an adult if you keep trying to protect it by not letting it touch 'germs' etc as this is how we all build our immune systems

:hi:girls,

Some people may feel this is (OTT) Over the top. It's over the top for you to do that is fine and state that. It may be for some people but what about babies that may have a weak immune system at 1st or that was delivered early. I mean you may only do one thing on the list or none. If its over the top to care for my baby then that it will be. I accept that as a compliment:happydance:.:Thankyou: :hugs:

I think you need to do what you think is best for you and your baby.

i'm sorry but this is a bit ott! second hand smoke gets to babies even if someone down the road is smoking, it's not going to stop it by people washing their hands etc.

smoke stays on the rest of the body plus clothes and hair and breath for hours lol

also your child can get very ill as an adult if you keep trying to protect it by not letting it touch 'germs' etc as this is how we all build our immune systems

Very good point. :flower:
However, the reason I am going to have my in laws wash their hands and wear a jacket when smoking is not only just to protect her from the chemicals, etc, it's also because I do not want my precious little baby stinking like smoke.
I definitely agree with you about not protecting our children from germs...kids need to get dirty! :)

:hi:

Germs are what build the immune system. Germs are what helps children fight off bigger germs when they get older. Im trying to figure out when was it said "never bring your kids and babies around germs." I know I didn't post that. I don't believe soon as my baby is home expose her to as many germs as possible either. After a couple months yes its fine. You can never avoid germs even if you wanted to. They are everywhere in our environment. There is a time and place for everything and I prefer the first couple months before immunization my child to be protected from certain things.Is that wrong or as some say OTT aka being a germophob(sorry for spelling):haha:?

but you talk about perfume etc? nothing is going to change after the injections to protect your baby from perfume or dander

i totally understand in the first couple of months wanting to protect the baby, just think some of it's slightly ott

but you talk about perfume etc? nothing is going to change after the injections to protect your baby from perfume or dander

i totally understand in the first couple of months wanting to protect the baby, just think some of it's slightly ott
:hi:
How doesn't anything change within 2 months of life? Your child is a little older and is a little more use to his environment. And the elements and germs surround it. And the vaccine helps to boost that immunity. Perfume can can a rash against a newborns skin from someone's clothes.(Irritation) If you feel its OTT thanks..:thumbup:That's your opinion and I appreciate it. Don't think I will be so OTT the 2nd time around if Im not high risk in the end again.:cloud9:

Im sorry but i dont think this second hand smoke thing actually exist, my parents grandparents and everyone else have been smokers around me im now 26 years old and more healthy than alot of others i see.
Im not actually sure of the point of this topic?
I mean i didnt see a specific meaning or question other than saying how certain things are awful. Everyone has opinions and this is just mine you can completely disregard it if you like.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"