Smoking in cars, should it be banned?

Nibblenic

Reaction score
Please watch video in link

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-15750102

I am personally very against smoking. I think you should not be able to smoke in your car, especially if it contains children.

yes i think it should be banned. Not only is it a health issue to non-smoking passengers/children but surely its a distraction, just like eating, drinking which i also think should be banned.

Yes ofcourse without a doubt.

I remember watching the news today and the opponents were saying its just a step away from banning smoking in the home, but quite frankly, it doesn't matter what this ban would mean for future bans. What matters is that it is highly dangerous to smoke in a car, even more so as some of the research shows that opening the windows does little to mitigate the negative effect.

Ban it. Can't believe it hasn't already.

Just ban smoking altogether.

My dad was a chain smoker and I was exposed to smoking more in my own home than I was in the car. In fact, A car was more helpful because My dad would crack the window open while driving and it would suck the smoke out.

Unless they ban smoking at home,ban smoking in cars is pointless, IMHO

I hate to quote Tesco here, but as far as banning car-smoking vis-a-vis the other areas in which people still get exposed, I think its a case of "every little helps".

The impact can't, to me, just be discounted outright. x

I'm really against smoking too and in your car is probably the worst place to smoke it second to inside a lift! my problem with the ban is that people that smoke in a car with kids clearly have no common sense/care to begin with as its an obvious danger, would a law stop these people? I doubt it, its sad how many people have gotten angry over the law like its someone taking away their civil rights not something to do with their and their passengers' health :dohh:

For some reason the link didn't work for me :-k In my opinion I don't think they should ban smoking in cars, but I think that it should be a federal offense to smoke with children that are IN your car. Say, if you are by yourself or with friends that are of age to smoke, then I don't really see the harm, as that is their choice. Any one under the age though who is in a vehicle with someone smoking I would say absolutely not. The effects of smoking are horrible, but people still choose to do it. An infant sitting in the back seat of a car while the parent smokes did NOT make the choice to breathe all those toxins in.

I think it should be banned if there's kids in the car, yep. But, tbh, most people open the window in the car while they smoke, which sucks most of the smoke out. It's only when you stop the car that it fills the car with smoke. Now, don't get me wrong, I hate hate, HATE smoking and nothing infuriates me more! But I think the need to look at protecting children from smoke inside the home, rather than the car, as I think it does more harm there.

I dont understand why putting a sanwich to your mouth is wrong but putting a ciggerette to your mouth is fine when it comes to distractions and what you can do while driving.
I guy a while ago was charge for eating a kitkat while driving after all.

Yup ban it!! The poor children and babies I have seen inside cars with the windows up fully while mum/dad/granny are puffing away is discusting!! Also it makes the car stink could never buy a second hand car from a smoker!

As an ex smoker I am obviously against smoking in general, but at the same time I am uncomfortable with taking away peoples rights, which smoking is. :shrug:

I absolutely agree that it should be an offence to smoke in the car with children/minors, but if there are only age consenting adults in the car then TBH, no I don't think they should ban it. :flower:

As an ex smoker I am obviously against smoking in general, but at the same time I am uncomfortable with taking away peoples rights, which smoking is. :shrug:

I absolutely agree that it should be an offence to smoke in the car with children/minors, but if there are only age consenting adults in the car then TBH, no I don't think they should ban it. :flower:

^^This! :thumbup:

When it comes to smoking, I'm all about :ban:

Even if a smoker is alone in a car, the "thirdhand smoke" from the carcinogenic particles that linger in the car upholstery can still have a significant exposure for passengers in that car later on. The smoker is still making health choices for other people in that sense.
And seriously, "smoker's rights"? As it is impossible to keep the toxins in some sort of bubble around the one choosing to smoke, I think smokers have had a few decades of imposing their "right" or choice to smoke on everyone else and I'm frankly sick of it. I'm sick of smelling smoke when I walk down the street, or am stuck in traffic (from other drivers smoking next to my car), or am going for a walk in a park. It's nasty. And bad for me.
I think defending a smoker's right to choose is kind of like defending someone's right to pollute: it just doesn't make sense to let the right of the individual impact the the right of the common good. :shrug:
I'm doing my best to cut down on driving my car and other activities that contribute to air pollution, so I have very little sympathy for a recreational habit like smoking that does so much damage and constantly violates the right of other people to breathe carcinogen-free air.
A law to ban smoking just about anywhere is pretty justifiable, I think.

Wow...soon the last place to smoke will be ten miles outside the city limits in the rain. Ban smoking near children and no one would complain about smokers rights, but ban smoking in the comfort of your own car in a car ride alone while someone drives by snacking on taco bell blaring mindless self indulgence?

TBH from a former smoker's pov who the heck cares about thirdhand smokes affect on passengers? I am not a taxi and people do not have to get in my car with me. Don't like the smoke smell in the upholstry? I would say the same thing to anyone who didn't like my collection of newspapers in the backseat. Don't get in my car. I haven't gotten in my Mother's car since getting pregnant because I respect her right to smoke like a chimney in her own car just like she respects my car and wouldn't dare light up in there because we don't want it devalued.

No way!!

I'm not a smoker, I hate smoking with a passion but your talking about peoples rights to do what they want on thier own property!!
We need to start taking responsibilty for our own actions now. The government should not need to tell us how we live our lives because they are our lives, our responsibilty.

Pisses me off big time when people blame the government for kids being overweight, people dying from lung cancer and alcoholism. Yes I agree to a point they should intervene when common sense prevails such as stopping cheap alcohol being sold in supermarkets and the like but ffs if you over eat you get fat, if you smoke you may get lung cancer. Your own fault!!

Saying that, I want to ram any car up the backside when they're smoking with a child in there... Makes me laugh that they open the window half an inch thinking it's letting the smoke out. VILE.

No way!!

I'm not a smoker, I hate smoking with a passion but your talking about peoples rights to do what they want on thier own property!!
We need to start taking responsibilty for our own actions now. The government should not need to tell us how we live our lives because they are our lives, our responsibilty.

Pisses me off big time when people blame the government for kids being overweight, people dying from lung cancer and alcoholism. Yes I agree to a point they should intervene when common sense prevails such as stopping cheap alcohol being sold in supermarkets and the like but ffs if you over eat you get fat, if you smoke you may get lung cancer. Your own fault!!

Saying that, I want to ram any car up the backside when they're smoking with a child in there... Makes me laugh that they open the window half an inch thinking it's letting the smoke out. VILE.

I totally agree with this. I am not a smoker and never have been, but both my mum and dad were smokers, smoked in the house/car when I was younger. But I think it is totally wrong to ban people from smoking in their own cars, it is personal property.

for me, the main reason i think it should be banned whilst driving is the distraction, which i think is dangerous....same as eating, drinking...reading a book (which i saw someone do once) texting, changing cd's or the radio etc.... the only thing a person should be doing behind the wheel is concentrating on driving.....my nephew was in a car accident because the driver (his friends dad) was changing the radio station took his eyes off the road for a few seconds and crash....my nephew almost lost his left hand in this inncident and it is now permanatly scared and he will need operations on it in the future....although the nature of the crash they were all lucky not be worse off.
as someone else said soon pretty much smokers wont be able to smoke anywhere.......if people are allowed to buy ciggerettes then surely they should be able to smoke them in their own homes.

Yes! I used to smoke, including whilst driving and I had a couple of occasions where I dropped a lit cigarette under the seat and had to rush to pull over.

I think if you can't hold a mobile phone in your hand, you shouldn't be able to hold a cigarette. I'm not anti smoking but as a non smoker and a mobile phone user, I'm jealous that you smokers can flaunt your hand items! :sulk:

No way!!

I'm not a smoker, I hate smoking with a passion but your talking about peoples rights to do what they want on thier own property!! We need to start taking responsibilty for our own actions now. The government should not need to tell us how we live our lives because they are our lives, our responsibilty.

This. :thumbup:

Like I said in my previous post I'm absolutely for banning smoking when there are kids in the car, because even though we should be taking responsibility for our own actions and our own kids, it is quite obvious that some aren't. In these circumstances I do think that the government should be telling certain people how to live their lives as they are not only inflicting their smoke onto themselves, they are also inflicting it onto kids/babies who have no choice in the matter.

But when there are only age consenting adults in that car, then your property, your choice. :thumbup:

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->