smoking?

how about we quit together lol!!! it needs to be done.. OH doesn't smoke and he hates that i smoke!

i still smoke with this pregnancy and i smoked with my son who was born 10 months ago and he was born 7lb 8.5oz and is very happy and very healthy... i know smoking is bad in pregnancy but i find it very hard.
And as for the placentas quoted by the above poster mine was huge and red and bulgy lol.
it is hard to stop and i have tried so many times, nothing seems to work!!!

but i understand where you are coming from!!!

I;m not saying it to be shocking or untrue. The fact is your son's placenta will have been compromised by the smoking - it absolutely would have been bigger in diameter and in thickness had you not smoked and it WILL have been gritty and calcified - areas of dead placenta that can't carry oxygen and nutrients basically. He probably would have been a bigger baby too, because inadequate placentas don't help grow the baby to it's full potential. I've seen a LOT of the things and whilst it might have looked healthy to the untrained eye, it most certainly won't have been.

I'm not meaning to upset you, it's important people know the real situation so they can make that informed decision isn't it?

And as ex smokers we all understand how hard it is too.

I am a midwife at my local delivery suite... newly trained yeah but i have some idea of what to look for even though i felt more sick looking at mine then i do with eveyone elses lol.

i have my next mw appt on the 25th feb and have a appt with the stop smoking mw too :)

So you should know that smoking has a negative impact on a placenta. And also know that telling people your son's placenta was fine is dishonest, to justify your own guilt.

As a MW it's your professional duty not to endorse or even suggest what is bad for your women is not anything other than damaging, esp you are giving out smoking cessation advice daily (i hope). You have an ethical responsibility to offer clear advice and not doing so is going against the NMC guidelines so you need to be very careful what you say. You've worked hard for your profession, you owe it to other women and to yourself to promote health better than that. Don't risk your registration.

natasha if your trying thats the main thing...its ignorant mothers that wont even try..that really angers me...as there only thinking of themselves...oo i cant its too hard, i get stressed, it calms me down...the only thing linked is the fact all them statements have the word I and ME.... like i said on my other post its selfish

but ur gonna try and thats good...just dont put too much pressure on yaself..and just remind yaself of the bad smoking does..thats how i did it. i will admit i could still murder a fag now and then...but i think...no i dont want my unborn child breathing in thousands of chemicals and poisons just so I can feel better.

i quit cold turkey around 5 weeks back... i just told myself im being selfish if i carry on smoking...as yes its very hard indeed...but giving up is the best thing you could do for your baby...yes u will hear people that still smoke say oo its ok my other children were fine, and yeah they probably are, however...they would of been alot more healthier if smoke was not involved whilst they are growing..

the way i see it is...its not just YOU ya harming anymore...its not fair and selfish.

Sorry but iv said to myself when the baby is out i will have a fag to celebrate... how dizzy will i be!!

My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me. She drank from time to time too. Are you saying I'm somehow lacking in the health department? Compared to other people (especially other Americans) I'm doing pretty good.

hey my mom smoked with me to..and my two brothers...and it really dissapointed me when i found out...and im fine..no health problems...HOWEVER that is NO excuse for smoking when pregnant, there are risks...and im just confused as to why any mother to be would take a RISK on there un born child... im not saying ur unhealthy or whatever..im sayng pregnancy is a very good reason to quit smoking thats all

i still smoke with this pregnancy and i smoked with my son who was born 10 months ago and he was born 7lb 8.5oz and is very happy and very healthy... i know smoking is bad in pregnancy but i find it very hard.
And as for the placentas quoted by the above poster mine was huge and red and bulgy lol.

I;m not saying it to be shocking or untrue. The fact is your son's placenta will have been compromised by the smoking - it absolutely would have been bigger in diameter and in thickness had you not smoked and it WILL have been gritty and calcified - areas of dead placenta that can't carry oxygen and nutrients basically. He probably would have been a bigger baby too, because inadequate placentas don't help grow the baby to it's full potential. I've seen a LOT of the things and whilst it might have looked healthy to the untrained eye, it most certainly won't have been.

I'm not meaning to upset you, it's important people know the real situation so they can make that informed decision isn't it?

I am a midwife at my local delivery suite... newly trained yeah but i have some idea of what to look for even though i felt more sick looking at mine then i do with eveyone elses lol.

i have my next mw appt on the 25th feb and have a appt with the stop smoking mw too :)

So you should know that smoking has a negative impact on a placenta. And also know that telling people your son's placenta was fine is dishonest, to justify your own guilt.

As a MW it's your professional duty not to endorse or even suggest what is bad for your women is not anything other than damaging, esp you are giving out smoking cessation advice daily (i hope). You have an ethical responsibility to offer clear advice and not doing so is going against the NMC guidelines so you need to be very careful what you say. You've worked hard for your profession, you owe it to other women and to yourself to promote health better than that. Don't risk your registration.

Of course i know how negative it is to smoke during pregnancy but all i can do is advise people not force them to stop smoking!
If ladies come to me and say they are still smoking and don't want to stop all i can do is advise them and not start saying loads of things to scare them as i think that is wrong. And i am not saying my sons placenta was fine i was just simply putting across what it looked like. whereas you put all smokers placentas are dull and gritty which mine did not look like, so it was not dishonest at all!
i have a heart problem and doctors suggest to me to cut down on smoking and not quit all together as it can be dangerous for me due to the stress. i only smoke 3-4 a day whereas before i smoked 20. I will not be risking my registration at all, i am just giving my opinion.

i will admit i could still murder a fag now and then...

:shrug: Um... could someone explain to me what this means in the UK? I'm hoping it has a much different meaning than in the US... lol (or not? hmmm)

Hi ladies! I have never smoked ever not even once lol so am not best qualified in this but my dh stopped smoking when i got pregnant with our first and it was honestly the best thing he did - i suppose i have good experience of the "spouse who is giving up" lol - wione gums were his thing until they started making him drop the most ripe farts lol they have a total zero tolerance ban in our house now lol!

anywho i think it is a fab idea for someone to start a "Butts Out Thread!" go for it ladies, my dh has the worlds most addictive personality - eg he cant stop at one biscuit or one glass of wine or a small slice of choc cake lol - but he quit his 40 a day habit cold turkey and has not looked back for the last 3 years! If he can do it you ladies can! go for it!

I stopped at 4 weeks with Mollie, 16 weeks with Taylor and never with Katie.

Best thing i ever did.

Please go see your Midwife and they will help loads.

V xxx

i will admit i could still murder a fag now and then...

:shrug: Um... could someone explain to me what this means in the UK? I'm hoping it has a much different meaning than in the US... lol (or not? hmmm)

ha ha ha thats brilliant! lol no it means she will do anything for a cigarette - even kill someone for one lol

honestly that has proper cracked me up! xkx

I have to admit, I'm a little disturbed by the fact that people are trying to defend smoking while pregnant....

Heavy smoker for 11 years, quit cold turkey the minute I got my BFP. It is hard, but not impossible. Wouldn't you want to do everything in your power to keep your baby safe and healthy? That's part of being a mother.

Yes, it's possible your child might come out just fine. And if I let my child play with a bottle of Draino, it's possible he might not drink it. To me, the two are very comparable.

Sorry to be harsh ladies.

Of course i know how negative it is to smoke during pregnancy but all i can do is advise people not force them to stop smoking!
If ladies come to me and say they are still smoking and don't want to stop all i can do is advise them and not start saying loads of things to scare them as i think that is wrong. And i am not saying my sons placenta was fine i was just simply putting across what it looked like. whereas you put all smokers placentas are dull and gritty which mine did not look like, so it was not dishonest at all!
i have a heart problem and doctors suggest to me to cut down on smoking and not quit all together as it can be dangerous for me due to the stress. i only smoke 3-4 a day whereas before i smoked 20. I will not be risking my registration at all, i am just giving my opinion.

Are you REALLY a Midwife? I struggle to believe it I really do. A Midwife simply wouldn't speak like that and use that terminology.

So glad someone has asked this!! Ive been a smoker for years and since the day I found out Ive tried to quit, I manage to go all day without one but by the evening the cravings start.
Averagelly Ive smoked about 2 a night since I found out.
Im paranoid even this is too much and feel guilty with every drag I take but try to convince myself that 2 a night is okay. I dont know if Im being selfish or being good in cutting down so much.
I will continue to try to stop completly

I used to smoke. I do know that the way you think about smoking changes when you quit. Smoking changes your whole way of thinking. When I was smoking, I used to laugh at the commercials showing all the bad stuff that can happen to you if you smoked and I would just blow them off. I would get upset if I was outside smoking yet someone gave me a dirty look that I was smoking. Second hand smoke...yeahwhatever. Once I finally quit, my whole mindset changed. The nicotine is a powerful addiction! Even if you just slow down on smoking..you are still smoking nicotine in everyday even if it is just one a day. You cant ask a crack addict to just slow down and smoke one everyday...it will eventually end up where the person will go back to how much they were smoking. Once you quit you can't have even one cigarrette or else you will eventually go back to how much you were smoking. It's not easy to tell yourself that you can't even have one. It is so hard to quit. I quit because I saw my dad go through 7 heart attacks and somehow lived through them. He smoked. I quit and have never regretted it. You will have triggers .....like smoking after breakfast ..that you have to get through. You will have time triggers ...such as moving into Fall from Summer that will make you want to smoke. You will have smells that will make you want to smoke. The more time you don't smoke and the more time you overcome these triggers the easier it will get as long as you never smoke again. Your addicted to nicotine...you can't smoke another ciggarrette if you want to quit. It is an addiction. I am glad I quit almost five years ago or else I would be in the same situation your in. It isn't easy, but it can be done as long as you never smoke a ciggy every again.

Oh yeah.whyquit.com is an awesome resource for quitting cold turkey...if I didn't have that website then I would never have been able to quit. seriously..take a look at it. There is a lot of good information.

I quit cold turkey the day I got my BFP. I simply didn't even consider an alternative. No cutting down, no sneaky one here and there, I would have been absolutely ashamed of myself if I had.
I promised myself if I ever got pregnant, I would quit and I stuck to that promise.
I must have been one of the lucky ones though because it wasn't difficult at all. I didn't struggle, no massive cravings.

Don't tell yourself it's too hard or that you can't do it. That's a self fullfilling prophecy. Tell yourself you CAN do it, and think about who you're doing it for.
Best of luck to those ladies trying to stop.

Are you REALLY a Midwife? I struggle to believe it I really do. A Midwife simply wouldn't speak like that and use that terminology.

So you think because i talk on here differently i am not a MW? I find that really offensive.
The transition into parenthood is difficult and i am putting my point across and i am sorry if you do not like the way i talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"