smoking?

Thanks people... it seems to me some people are in the mood to have a go at someone for having their own opinions, am at work and everyone here seems to think that people are taking things to far and that people are entitled to their own opinions some obviously don't agree with me still smoking but do know that i am cutting down and like another poster said that they are not going to hold a gun to my head and force me to stop. it's everyones choice what they do and no one can force them to do what they don't want

I dont agree with you still smoking, but then again i dont agree with me still smoking and unfortunatly i do! I had this idea in my head that as soon as i fell pregnant i would be able to give up just like that, but boy was i wrong! At the end of the day Charli were grown woman and we both Know smoking is not the greatest thing pregnant or not, but if your anything like me having people in your ear 24/7 will not help you stop.

Iv cut down dramatically and for now thats going to have to be enough, I feel so guilty and i am going to try to stop all together.
Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy hun x

Oh and i forgot to ask, has any1 tried those fake Cigs? They look preety weird but if they work i rekon there worth a go? x

We ALL no the risks smoking whilst pregnant brings...low birth weight, still birth, birth defects, low oxygen to the baby, ,,,,soo pretty drastic stuff we are talking about here...

knowing this..surely it cannot be hard to stop smoking...why would ANY mother put this risk on there unborn child is beyond me!

Because somtimes the stress level that my baby will be put under if i didnt have the occasional cigarette is surley going to be more damaging. I know its a horrible thing to do pregnant or not, and if i could just stop i would. x

Because somtimes the stress level that my baby will be put under if i didnt have the occasional cigarette is surley going to be more damaging. I know its a horrible thing to do pregnant or not, and if i could just stop i would. x

sorry but thats just an excuse...

one that my mom used to be honest...

and no it wont be more damaging as the with drawel only lasts a few weeks max!!

Oh and i forgot to ask, has any1 tried those fake Cigs? They look preety weird but if they work i rekon there worth a go? x

My mother and brother both use them. They seem to work just fine.

Well an excuse or not, thats how it is for me at the moment im afraid. Its not an every day occurance, its not excessive and yes i know that dosnt make it right but thats the way it is. I did everything by the book last time and i ended up miscarrying, so wether your super duper healthy and dont do anything 'wrong' bad things can still happen. Like i said i have cut down from 20 a day to not even that a week now, so i will do it!

Also the GP or smoking cessation MW can give you a carbon monoxide test (like an breathalyser) as part of the support programme in most areas. It's fascinating to see it there in front of you in black and white how high it is and apparently helps with quitting too.

I think some of the responses on here a very judgemental! I'm currently 7w 3ds and have only just given up smoking it is VERY hard to do I was however cutting down before I found out............we all know the dangers of smoking however to someone who has never smoked I can understand how they could not relate to this.

I smoked through my first pregnancy although only around 3 a day and worked in a pub at the time when smoking was allowed inside and my daughter was 8lb 12oz and very healthy!!!!

Good luck with stopping try speaking with ur gp or local smoking clinic they can point u in the right direction and maybe give u some aids to help it's difficult but also worth it........I play with an elastic band when I fancy a fag and it seems to work lol

X x x x

I think some of the responses on here a very judgemental! I'm currently 7w 3ds and have only just given up smoking it is VERY hard to do I was however cutting down before I found out............we all know the dangers of smoking however to someone who has never smoked I can understand how they could not relate to this.

I smoked through my first pregnancy although only around 3 a day and worked in a pub at the time when smoking was allowed inside and my daughter was 8lb 12oz and very healthy!!!!

Good luck with stopping try speaking with ur gp or local smoking clinic they can point u in the right direction and maybe give u some aids to help it's difficult but also worth it........I play with an elastic band when I fancy a fag and it seems to work lol

X x x x

Thanks hun x

We ALL no the risks smoking whilst pregnant brings...low birth weight, still birth, birth defects, low oxygen to the baby, ,,,,soo pretty drastic stuff we are talking about here...

knowing this..surely it cannot be hard to stop smoking...why would ANY mother put this risk on there unborn child is beyond me!

I gave up smoking straight. But every women is different and some have less willpower than others. Yes smoking is detrimental to an unborn babies health but if a woman is cutting down then she is trying her best. That's all motherhood is about trying your best to raise that child. I think people need to consider so many contributing factors when it cone to quitting. In addition stress can be detrimental to a unborn baby. Just because you see it as an excuse doesn't make it any less valid in looking at the holistic health of a mother and her unborn child. Holistic care should given which includes caring for emotional and physical aspects within that. Yeah smoking isn't the best thing for the baby but cutting down is a start and women shouldn't be condemned for trying x

Firstly can I add its not a mw's job to stop the mother from smoking it is the mothers it is her choice at the end of the day yes we all know the effects of smoking while pregnant all the mw can do is make the mother aware of this they cant put you in a straight jacket for the rest of your pregnancy I know plently of people who smoked while pregnant and with my son I was actually advised not to quit till the 2nd trimester due to stress.

I know of someone who actually took hard drugs while pregnant she knew what she was doing but like smoking it is a habit and depending on how long you have been doing it and how many you smoked depends on how addicted you are I personally had no worries quiting but others may be different.

Nobody said that it's the mw's job to force a woman to quit smoking. It is, however, the mw's job to make a woman aware of the risks that she is taking. As the woman claiming to be a midwife said, she cannot scare them out of it. If the thought of having a stillborn or SIDS baby does not scare you, then you should most definitely not be pregnant. And these women need to be aware of this.

Not talking about you personally, but in general.

I realize it can be hard, but I had a premature brother after my mom smoked through her pregnancy, he was a very lucky baby. I also had a stillborn brother because my mom said that it was okay. She had smoked when pregnant with my older brother and he was overdue and healthy.

Risks are risks.

All I can tell the OP is to do her research and speak with her doctor when she gets in. Then, think about the pros and cons, because the cons clearly outweigh the idea that stress is bad.

People keep saying that they were told not to quit until the 2nd trimester. I don't believe it. If it's true, I would stay as far away from that doctor as possible. The stress of quitting is not great enough to cause a MC and the baby is at its most crucial time of development in the 1st trimester. Any doctor who would say "definitely keep smoking during your 1st trimester, don't want you to get stressed out!" is clearly off their rocker.

I did say that its the mw's job to make the mother aware of the risks and I agree with what you are saying 100% and I have quit with all 3 of my pregnancies my sons was the latest due to what the dr said and I was 16 weeks my dd was 4 and this was 4 as I have done my research since having my son. The mw actually made a complaint about the dr saying that he didnt advise me quiting till 2nd tri and yes I did change dr's as I was wrongly informed.

But I also understand how hard quitting is and like I said some people find it very hard.

to the main op have you tried any nicotine replacements at all I know its not ideal but to give you a kick in the right direction?

Well an excuse or not, thats how it is for me at the moment im afraid. Its not an every day occurance, its not excessive and yes i know that dosnt make it right but thats the way it is. I did everything by the book last time and i ended up miscarrying, so wether your super duper healthy and dont do anything 'wrong' bad things can still happen. Like i said i have cut down from 20 a day to not even that a week now, so i will do it!

Well done, you are doing fab!! I have never smoked but I understand how hard it is to give up something, i struggle to diet. I know it's not the same but I understand that one day you can't just wake up and stop. You have already done a great thing for your baby by drastically cutting down :thumbup:

I am not going to name names, but I remember someone getting attacked previously because she wasn't sure about certain things with her pregnancy. I even defended her, yet now she is on here judging someone else who is going through a hard time. Kind of makes me wonder.

It's a very hard thing to do, cigarette addiction is serious. I can understand how someone who never smoked wouldn't understand how hard it is. but With that being said, it's very important to make the decisions to quit, and not look back. It is what's best for your baby and your health in general. It will be the best decision you ever make!

I wish you tons of luck in deciding. And congrats to those who have quit, or cut back! Even if you're just taking baby steps, I applaud your efforts!

This is my opinion only and I know that you guys probably won't agree with me..and it is okay if you don't. I am by no means an expert but I am one that went cold turkey in quitting close to five years ago. I wasn't pregnant and I know it is different for everyone. Nicotine is the one thing in a ciggarette that causes the addiction to smoke. You are making yourselves more miserable to just cut down instead of cutting out altogether. Every time you take a puff of a ciggerette, you are just feeding yourself the nicotine that you are addicted to in the first place. You won't find relief until and when you completely quit and get through all of your withdrawals. You can't fully get through the withdrawals if you keep smoking. You start to withdraw...feel horrible...smoke another ciggy...decide to quit...feel horrible...smoke another ciggy...and it becomes a horrible cycle! If you can quit for three days..then alot of people have completely withdrawn then and then it is only a matter of changing your habits at that time and it is all in the mind. You draw out the process when you just cut down...making yourself just miserable! I would never tell a friend just to cut down and you will be okay because by doing that I am telling them it is okay to draw out their miserableness! This is just what I learned when I finally quit and know to this day I will never be able to have another puff again. It was almost like losing a friend in my life. I really grieved over it. Good luck OP in whatever you decide...it is not easy but it can be done if you choose to quit. I am only trying to give advice in case you do decide to quit.

Well done, you are doing fab!! I have never smoked but I understand how hard it is to give up something, i struggle to diet. I know it's not the same but I understand that one day you can't just wake up and stop. You have already done a great thing for your baby by drastically cutting down :thumbup:

Thanks sweetie :) I am determined to stop completely tho as I do want to hue my baby the best start in life. It's so nice to hear words of encouragement from the majority as that's what were allnon here for. We all know why were doing wrong buts it's nice to hear the positive from time to time x

I am not going to name names, but I remember someone getting attacked previously because she wasn't sure about certain things with her pregnancy. I even defended her, yet now she is on here judging someone else who is going through a hard time. Kind of makes me wonder.

It's a very hard thing to do, cigarette addiction is serious. I can understand how someone who never smoked wouldn't understand how hard it is. but With that being said, it's very important to make the decisions to quit, and not look back. It is what's best for your baby and your health in general. It will be the best decision you ever make!

I wish you tons of luck in deciding. And congrats to those who have quit, or cut back! Even if you're just taking baby steps, I applaud your efforts!

Hmm... yeah, no. I was unsure about my pregnancy... right when I found out unexpectedly! And I didn't say anything judgemental to the OP. I said to do her own research and not listen to people who say that their babies were fine, so it's okay. Did you read that?

i only criticized the woman claiming to be a midwife and saying she smoked through her pregnancy and it was fine. Which only came up after another poster said she had an "untrained eye," before that, her being a midwife never came up. How about that? So, don't make it about me or my past feelings... cause it isn't. It's about how she can quit smoking and is it safe to do during pregnancy. Thanks, though.

I am currently still smoking and im not a proud momma. Im very embarrassed acutally.
Im going to try to come up with a quit plan soon. Its soooo HARD. and my OH smokes so, I figure I might call the tabacco quit line and get on nicotine patches to get off. Im afraid a gaining a lot of weight and having complications if I quit. I know that sounds weird lol.

Hmm... yeah, no. I was unsure about my pregnancy... right when I found out unexpectedly! And I didn't say anything judgemental to the OP. I said to do her own research and not listen to people who say that their babies were fine, so it's okay. Did you read that?

i only criticized the woman claiming to be a midwife and saying she smoked through her pregnancy and it was fine. Which only came up after another poster said she had an "untrained eye," before that, her being a midwife never came up. How about that? So, don't make it about me or my past feelings... cause it isn't. It's about how she can quit smoking and is it safe to do during pregnancy. Thanks, though.

It's funny that out of all the posters you would immediately respond, thinking I'm referring to you. Hmmm... interesting....
Exactly you just made a wonderful point!! Lets not make this about someone other than the original poster (which also means not arguing over whether or not someones a MW) Moving right along..

Anywho like I said before, tons of luck to those trying to quit!!! It's a battle for sure, but you can def overcome it! Everything changes once you make the decision to quit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->