smoking?

i still smoke with this pregnancy and i smoked with my son who was born 10 months ago and he was born 7lb 8.5oz and is very happy and very healthy... i know smoking is bad in pregnancy but i find it very hard.
And as for the placentas quoted by the above poster mine was huge and red and bulgy lol.
it is hard to stop and i have tried so many times, nothing seems to work!!!

but i understand where you are coming from!!!

I;m not saying it to be shocking or untrue. The fact is your son's placenta will have been compromised by the smoking - it absolutely would have been bigger in diameter and in thickness had you not smoked and it WILL have been gritty and calcified - areas of dead placenta that can't carry oxygen and nutrients basically. He probably would have been a bigger baby too, because inadequate placentas don't help grow the baby to it's full potential. I've seen a LOT of the things and whilst it might have looked healthy to the untrained eye, it most certainly won't have been.

I'm not meaning to upset you, it's important people know the real situation so they can make that informed decision isn't it?

And as ex smokers we all understand how hard it is too.

I am a midwife at my local delivery suite... newly trained yeah but i have some idea of what to look for even though i felt more sick looking at mine then i do with eveyone elses lol.

i have my next mw appt on the 25th feb and have a appt with the stop smoking mw too :)

So you should know that smoking has a negative impact on a placenta. And also know that telling people your son's placenta was fine is dishonest, to justify your own guilt.

As a MW it's your professional duty not to endorse or even suggest what is bad for your women is not anything other than damaging, esp you are giving out smoking cessation advice daily (i hope). You have an ethical responsibility to offer clear advice and not doing so is going against the NMC guidelines so you need to be very careful what you say. You've worked hard for your profession, you owe it to other women and to yourself to promote health better than that. Don't risk your registration.

That's quite the threatening post and most unpleasant to read. The lady is not on here in a professional capacity, she is here as an expectant mother - for you to preach to her in such a way is disgraceful.

I smoked very little during my first pregnancy (shouldn't have, but I did) with my second I quit, but went back to it after. This is my 3rd and I had already quit before I got pregnant this time and will never smoke again. I know thats a mighty big thing to claim, but I have tried to quit numerous times only to go back to it until I read this book called "The Easy Way To Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr. I figured what could it hurt, it was only $10. Let me tell you, I know for sure that I will never smoke again. Give it a try. You have nothing to lose.

i still smoke with this pregnancy and i smoked with my son who was born 10 months ago and he was born 7lb 8.5oz and is very happy and very healthy... i know smoking is bad in pregnancy but i find it very hard.
And as for the placentas quoted by the above poster mine was huge and red and bulgy lol.

I;m not saying it to be shocking or untrue. The fact is your son's placenta will have been compromised by the smoking - it absolutely would have been bigger in diameter and in thickness had you not smoked and it WILL have been gritty and calcified - areas of dead placenta that can't carry oxygen and nutrients basically. He probably would have been a bigger baby too, because inadequate placentas don't help grow the baby to it's full potential. I've seen a LOT of the things and whilst it might have looked healthy to the untrained eye, it most certainly won't have been.

I'm not meaning to upset you, it's important people know the real situation so they can make that informed decision isn't it?

I am a midwife at my local delivery suite... newly trained yeah but i have some idea of what to look for even though i felt more sick looking at mine then i do with eveyone elses lol.

i have my next mw appt on the 25th feb and have a appt with the stop smoking mw too :)

So you should know that smoking has a negative impact on a placenta. And also know that telling people your son's placenta was fine is dishonest, to justify your own guilt.

As a MW it's your professional duty not to endorse or even suggest what is bad for your women is not anything other than damaging, esp you are giving out smoking cessation advice daily (i hope). You have an ethical responsibility to offer clear advice and not doing so is going against the NMC guidelines so you need to be very careful what you say. You've worked hard for your profession, you owe it to other women and to yourself to promote health better than that. Don't risk your registration.

That's quite the threatening post and most unpleasant to read. The lady is not on here in a professional capacity, she is here as an expectant mother - for you to preach to her in such a way is disgraceful.

No I'm afraid you're wrong about the capacity she's speak in. Midwives have a professional duty not to offer their personal opinion or circumstances whilst making known their professional status. She didn't have to disclose this and in fact was wiser not to. As it sands, i don't believe she is, but taking her on her word, my post was to seriously warn her - not threaten her - of this implication of her actions.

It's absolutely right that I tackled her authenticity, the cyber world is full of people pretending to be people they are not and I'm sorry you find this offensive, but the RCM would have a very different view to this user's behaviour on this thread if she were indeed a Midwife.

She's entitled to speak as a mum, definitely, but not cross over with her professional status. That's unfortunately the nature of the maternity services - that if you publicise your status, you have to advocate the standards of the service you represent. What happens behind closed doors is different of course, but this is not what we're dealing with here.

If anyone wants to PM me to discuss this further I'm happy to.

I'm not going to discuss this further and add to this and I'm sorry to the OP hat this thread has become such a circus.

Well quite proud of myself not had a cigarette in 14hours :) The headache is aweful and I'm dying for one, but seeing as there's none in the house then it's tough shite on me :)

No I'm afraid you're wrong about the capacity she's speak in. Midwives have a professional duty not to offer their personal opinion or circumstances whilst making known their professional status. She didn't have to disclose this and in fact was wiser not to. As it sands, i don't believe she is, but taking her on her word, my post was to seriously warn her - not threaten her - of this implication of her actions.

It's absolutely right that I tackled her authenticity, the cyber world is full of people pretending to be people they are not and I'm sorry you find this offensive, but the RCM would have a very different view to this user's behaviour on this thread if she were indeed a Midwife.

She's entitled to speak as a mum, definitely, but not cross over with her professional status. That's unfortunately the nature of the maternity services - that if you publicise your status, you have to advocate the standards of the service you represent. What happens behind closed doors is different of course, but this is not what we're dealing with here.

If anyone wants to PM me to discuss this further I'm happy to.

I'm not going to discuss this further and add to this and I'm sorry to the OP hat this thread has become such a circus.

I very much agree with this.

I'm having a really hard time reading this thread. I'm absolutely shocked at some people's opinions on this, and I'm finding it hard not to say anything. I have no sympathy for people "trying" to quit smoking. I've done it, it sucks, but it doesn't matter- you just quit. Because that's your job as a mother.

I'm so glad you posted this thread, as I have struggled a bit too. I only had about 1 a day for the last 5-6 years, but about a month ago I just didn't want that any more either. And suddenly, for the last few days, i wanted just one (out of the blue!)- and for a few days i did. The internal dialog going on in my head was horrible self-talk and guilt, what am I doing, you know better, etc. I find that the internal dialog was too stressful for me to do it again, I almost cried.

As a smoker, I WISHED for so long that I could quit or that I could have a sign to quit. For me, I feel like this is my sign to quit. It's right in front of me, so now I have to do it. I find that I can do anything else I want instead: take a nap, snack a little, you name it. I think each day it will get easier (I hope!).

Good luck - you'll make the right choise for you.

I'm down to one a day from 1/2 a pack (before I found out I was pregnant)! Hoping to make that 0 next week!

You ladies are doing great! Keep up the good work and don't let that addiction talk you into smoking again! That addiction voice can be very very tricky. I know even months down the road after I had quit , it was still trying to talk me into taking a puff.

I smoked a little during my first pregnancy and am trying to quit again only having 2 a day compared to 20 before. I think the commentstowards the MW where inappropriate she is giving her opinion as a mother. Yes it can be bad for the baby many are fine, but at the end of the day it is an individual choice and the lecturing and narrow mindedness of some non-smokers who have no idea how hard it is have no right i feel to comment on the matter as they can not speak from experience. good luck to all those mother to be's out there who are trying to quit, aiming for 2nd trimester myself when placenta is in full swing i managed it last time so confident i will this time!!!

havnt had a cig now in 24 hrs.
If i can do it anyone can!!:)

I have smoked since i was 14 years old, I'm now 24, thats 10 long years, I have a 4 year old son and i smoked every single day throughout my pregnancy with him (even though i has sworn to myself that i would quit the moment I got pregnant) it didn't happen. I am now pregnant again, this one was planned but only took 1 month which came as a shock, and i hadn't prepared myself physically or mentally. I gave up for 5 days, I was moping around, nasty, just turned into this horrible hormonal woman, and i seriously felt sooo sorry for myself - like something had been taken away from me and i didn't deserve it. I then started again, only telling a few friends, my OH had no idea, and I used to carry deodrants around and mints etc, my friends kept asking me if i felt guilty and i honestly felt no remorse?!?! I'm now nearly 28 weeks pregnant, I haven't touched a cigarette since Tues 1st Feb at 4.15pm - thats a whopping 3 weeks, 1 day and 1 hour. I had to work that out cos I've stopped counting now, I was petrified to stop cos of how I felt back in September, but my way of doing it was not saying I was quitting, I told myself I would buy more that next day, but I didn't, and managed 24 hours, and then the next day, 48hrs and it felt good, that good that I didn't want to ruin my good work, and I have no intention of touching another 1, definitely not throughout this pregnancy, but hopefully I will be a strong quitter for life! Just never say never, the mind is a very powerful thing and if it knows it's going to be deprived then it starts to panic. I never thought I would stop but I have and my friends are so proud of me and I am missing all the praise from my OH! Even though i got it when i stopped for 5 days, he kept telling me how proud he was, and I seriously didn't deserve him! Now I keep wanting to say it's been so many weeks etc, but obviously I can't - it would kill him :( But i am not going to tell myself that I am never going to have another 1 again. Just hoping to not want one again. I know how selfish I have been and even though my baby has 4 months of healthy womb time, I'm just praying that the damage hasn't already been done, I would NEVER forgive myself. Good Luck, you can do it xx

I stopped day I found out... That was about 3 weeks ago. I am almost butting walls now wanting one, plus I'm out this weekend for 1st night out not drinking or smoking and feel I'll cave in on 1 of them! We're celebrating a 21st birthday, so the champagne will be flowing... I think I might just have a glass or 2. I'd rather have a little drink than smoke... x

please dont smoke during your pregnancy. if you smoke, you are quite literally forcing your baby to smoke too. i was a smoker, i quit cold turkey as soon as i found out i was pregnant. your baby is a miracal, dont risk harming him or her, it just isnt fair. yes quitting is very hard to do, but it doesnt really matter, its that vunerable life inside you you have to worry about now. your baby does not have a choice. you do! xx

If life is very stressful, it can be extra difficult to give up, I was told by my doctor in my first pregnancy 10.5 years ago (as I was smoking a very minimal amount, I got it down to a few hand rolled ciggies a week) that the stress I was experiencing at the time could be more stressful to the baby than the very small amount of nicotine getting into my blood stream. And whilst it is definitely 100% advised to give up, you cant beat yourself up, you just need to keep trying, do the best you can, cut down and cut down as much you can and maybe you will find that you can actually do it... I had a similar situation with my 2nd pregancy, both very healthy and big heavy babies and very quick natural births (apart from being induced on my first as two weeks late).

Now baby 3 on the way, I am sooooo glad I have managed to give up this time around, I cant believe it has been about 6 weeks or so (I have smoked since a teenager, now nearly 36!)... the reason I have been able to finally do it, I really really wanted to, I couldn't stand the smell of tobacco anymore, BUT MOSTLY I have minimal stress in life, I have dropped alot of the stressful things out of life and am determined to have as calm and chilled pregancy as possible (dont quote me on that if you find me in tears in another thread someday, lol!!!) , I have started going swimming and doing nice things for myself, and instead of that bottle of wine or pack of tobacco, I get myself little treats to pamper with....

You can do it, but you may need some help and support to get there (your midwife should be able to point you in the right direction), dont beat yourself up though, or let anyone else do it for you, as long as you are taking steps to do the best you can, if you cant give up right away, cut RIGHT down until you can.

wishing all those who want to give up or have just done it the very best xxxx

i was a smoker, i smoked until 3 weeks ago, i knew it was gonna be soooooo hard and i was struggling, but bubba must have wanted me to stop as my sickness feeling came with a vengence and i stopped just like that, the smell and the thought of smoking just made me feel 10x worse, so thank you bubba/sickness lol i want the sickness to stop now tho, i promise i will still stgay stopped hehe

Good luck to everyone trying to give up. I stopped the day after I got my positive test and while I occasionally want one I have to say it's been really easy this time. Every other time I've tried to quit in the past I just couldn't. It helps that the smell of cigarettes makes me feel so nauseous I suppose.
I do know how hard it can be though so good luck and please try not to worry. If you're heading in the right direction (cutting down and then stopping) you can do no more and should be proud of the progress you can make. It really is a very very difficult thing to do.

Again good luck to everyone trying to quit!!!
xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->