SMP & Redunancy

Discussion in 'Work & Finance' started by 323laura, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 323laura

323laura Well-Known Member

I was told yesterday that my job isnt looking very secure anymore. My dad who also works for the company got sacked on friday, and i'll find out this week whether my job is safe or not.

After being told that, my first reaction other than crying my eyes out for hours was how the heck am i supposed to pay for things, as at the moment after tax and NI i come home with just under £1600 and at pretty much £1500 goes on paying for the house and more importantly my debt!

I know that if i do lose my job my smp will be paid directly from hmrc, but am i entitled to anything else? Like can i claim job seekers or something, as theres no way i can survive on £550, and work were going to top my wages up if i was still working for them.

Its happened at a really crap time as im due to start my maternity leave on wednesday. I'm looking for other jobs now, but i was very lucky to get this one and i know for a fact that i'll not get another that pays the same. I'll also have child care costs to factor into things, which ive heard can be £35 a day! :wacko:

i think ive gone a bit off track sorry. :cry:

2. KiansMummy

KiansMummy Guest

Hi im in a very similar situation, i work for the council who are making cuts of 28million and we have been told our jobs are at risk of redundancy, there doing a 90 day consultation period and we will find out at the end of that whether or not our jobs are safe. im not due bsck to work until beginning of may and the 90 days would have been up middle of april so it wouldnt affect my SMP as would have to work a months notice anyway. Ive done a little bit of research and i think all id be able to claim is jobseekers, income support, child benefit and housing benefit, which isnt good as there is no way id be able to afford my car,insurance, lo everything on that!! Im in panic mode, but i am trying just to enjoy the rest of my maternity leave and not think about it till i need to, maybe thats a bad thing i dont no. Anyway sorry im not much help but hope you get good news.

3. berniegroves

berniegroves A daughter and a son

You should still recieve your occupational maternity pay if you are due to start maternity leave on wednesday. Would you be eligible for redundancy??

4. emsiee

emsiee Mum of 2

You`ll still get the SMP money,(If made redundant, you may get this in one lump sum) you wont be able to claim JSA whilst on SMP though, although you will get help with Housing Benefit if you rent and Council Tax Benefit. After SMP runs out, thats when you could apply for JSA/income support.

5. 323laura

323laura Well-Known Member

i'm only getting £1200 redundancy pay.

work were going to top my wages up so i'd get the same pay until 1st november when i was going to go back to work so i wouldnt lose anything, therefore i'd be still getting £1500 a month. I've got Feb and March's wages which will be at full pay, then when the SMP drops to £500 a month, thats when im gone. So i'll get £500 off work each month. I think the mortgage will get paid for for 12 months if i lose my job, really need to find the contract, but i'll still be £500 short a month.

Mick has been great. ive got my car up for sale but dont think it'll sell quickly, if i can get what i want for that then its going to pay some debt off which will save me £100 a month. im also in the process of going through the whole house to sell everything thats not nailed down in the hope i can get enough money to pay my catalogue bills off which will save me more, and whatever else i cant afford mick is going to pay, which is annoying as he shouldnt pay my debt

i did look into getting working tax credits, as thats based on the previous year and mick is still working then hopefully we'll get some money from there and also child benefit. i hate claiming for stuff though. i think i'll get by, but it'll be a struggle.

thanks for your help.