Snuffly LO

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by jenny82, Dec 19, 2009.

1. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

My baby has been quite snuffly the past few nights, although he's not like that during the day. Obviously I can't hold a tissue to his nose and get him to blow, but how do I then clear it??

2. purpledaisy2

purpledaisy2 Mummy to a gorgeous boy

You can try nasal drops (just a saline solution) which you can get from the chemist for £2 or so, my LO has had two colds already and its all the doctor would give him.

Would be grateful of any other tips myself he has been terrible during the night

3. polaris

polaris Mother of two

One of the midwives at the b/f group I go to suggested leaving a bowl of water next to the radiator to moisten the air in the room because central heating can really dry the air and this can cause LO to get very snuffly especially at nighttime. Haven't tried it yet though, I forgot last night. :dohh:

4. mumtosam

mumtosam Well-Known Member

Sam has just had a cold and was really snuffly. I bought a calpol plug in vapouriser for his room and that really helped him sleep- think they might be only suitable from 3 months plus though. I also elevated his cot mattress by putting some towels underneath one end of it as that can aid breathing so it might be worth trying that.

5. cazza1982

cazza1982 Mum to a cheeky monkey!

Charlie has already had his first cold and I used Capol Saline Spray which helps unblock the nose and for the goo to come out of the nostril which you can then just wipe away with a tissue.

Also, when he was really bunged up, I used a cotton bud and put it up each nostril which a) helped to clear the boogers and b) it helps promote sneezing which will also give a good clear out!

Other than that, I am not too sure.

Hope this helps.

x

6. pip holder

pip holder Well-Known Member

Adam is super poorly with a chesty cold virus at the moment :cry:

I use the calpol saline spray as it is a bit nicer than the drops for them and the use a nasal aspirator (bleurgh) to suck out the snot once it has been loosened by the saline.
    The one you suck yourself is better than the bulb version.

There is also a room decongestant that is suitable from birth but most of them aren't - you can only use from 3 months as the decongestants can damage their little mucous membranes.

I also sit in the bathroom with him while the shower is on full heat so the steam clears his chest for 10 mins - like a baby steam room :happydance:
    HTH

7. wannabewillow

wannabewillow Well-Known Member

My wee one has been snuffly since birth and seems to have gotten worse over the last 24 hrs. She's posseting her formula a lot more and only really keeps breast milk down so I have to express like a dairy cow at the minute! She's only 2 and a half weeks old and I'm concerned she's getting a cold already, the HV suggested this might be the case, but I thought they had passive immunity until a few months old.

8. vanessayogini

9. Rebaby

Rebaby Mama to 2 boys

We all caught colds a couple of weeks back and Toby is still snuffly from his :(

I use a nasal aspirator to suck all the snot out and some days it seems never ending :wacko: He feeds much better if his nose his clear though.

10. Foogirl

Foogirl Baby Abby 11 weeks early

Abby was a snuffly baby, although she never had colds or anything. Apparently it can happen with reflux.

We were advised not to clear her nose with the sprays or the aspirator as it can really irritate their nostrils and tubes. In fact, when she was back at the hospital for a feeding problem, even the doctor there didn't want to take a sample for testing, he said it really was better to leave it there.

It cleared up pretty much of its own accord, but from time to time, if it was particularly bad, I'd sit in the shower room with her, with the shower running to allow the steam to help.

To be honest, it never really seemed to bother her having a blocked nose.

11. Chaos

Chaos Mum to one =)

This!!!

Our pediatrician told us to put a couple drops of nasal saline up each nostril, leave it for 5 to 10 seconds to loosen it all up and then suck it all out with the bulb syringe. It works a TREAT!

12. jenny82

jenny82 Well-Known Member

Am goingt o pick up a saline spray today.

I thought it had cleared up, but last night he was particularly bad. When I went to feed him at 5, his back arched up, his face went dark red and it was almost like he couldn't breathe out his nose, but didn't know to breathe out his mouth instead. I sat up for hours after his feed just to make sure he was ok... poor wee man :(