So annoyed with Doctors Surgery!

Heidi

Mummy to two girls
Reaction score
I posted this in my journal but thought i might get a bit of a better responce here :thumbup:

I've had my first emotional burst since BFP-that didn't take long.

So Yesterday when i spoke the the receptionist at the surgery, she told me you dont need to book an appointment we just take your details and pass them over to the mid wife who will contact you with in a week, well i called up today to give them my mobile number as i didnt have it on me yesterday and i asked again how long will it be before some one contacts me and she said not normally till the 12week mark!!!!!!!!!
I mean, i've never been pregnant before but surely this isn't right, i told her i haven't even has my pregnancy confirmed except via HPT and now your saying i have to wait till the 12 week mark? Her reply was 'oh they should have told you that yesterday' WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She said if i feel i really need to see some one before then just to call the mid wife myself.
I've had no advice nothing, if it wasn't for BnB over the last months i wouldn't know a single thing!
OH thinks i should just book a doctors appointment or call the mid wife for advice.
I've just myself worked up in to a state now thank to that bloody receptionist.

EDIT: just realised this is my first official thread in 1st tri so hello everyone (sorry its a moany one)!!!!! xxxxx

no i am the same!did my first tests on sunday, made appointment with doc on monday who was just very blunt and cold to me, basically in a nutshell saying dont get too excited yet it may not last!!anyways i am seeing my midwife a week on thurs...i think i am about 5-6 weeks preg, but its all a bit confuising due to my irregular periods and stuff. but i know what you mean, its all so scary not knoweing what to do, thank goodness for the internet!!

Hi Heidi and welcome to first tri!
I havent seen a doctor yet either. Im not in the UK though, but from what I have read on here even in the UK it differs from surgery to surgery when you get seen.
I dont think there is much they do early on. The main thing is to make sure you get your 12 week scan booked, if they dont do that asap you might have a longer wait.
All the best and congrats on your pregnancy!

Hi,
Firstly congratulations :happydance:
I am in the same boat waiting to see the midwife, I will be about ten weeks gone when I see her. Apparently home pregnancy tests are so good now that they are happy to accept the results of those, at least that is what I was told.
I don't think that is very good though, some home pregnancy tests can be hard to read and hopefully, desperatly wanted to be pregnant eyes can easily mistake an evaporation line for a positive. I would be comforting if they confirmed the pregnancy officially and had just a short meeting telling people the basics, like what you can and can't eat, to take pronatal vitamins and what symptoms they can expect. They assume everyone just knows this stuff. I don't feel I do though, I am learning constantly reading the baby book and this board.
Hope things go quickly, and easily for you till you get to your appointment. :flower:

Thanks for your replies, :hugs:

i'm now starting to think the woman i spoke to today must have been confused (at least i hope she was) i mean from what i've read you at least have a 'history appointment' with the MW before 12 weeks? Both times i called up the receptionists contradicted each other......
At least when i get an appointment i'll be happy and have some thing to wait for, not they have made it very clear when this will eventually come through so far i've been told one week or maybe up to 12 weeks!!!
I'm thinking of just speaking to a DOCTOR (not receptionist) face to face so i can find out the correct info.
I'm so stressed out right now-not good.

Im the same wont see a doc until the 13 week scan...

to be honest I think its stinks you would think they would put you in touch with someone to go over and concerns get advice etc etc..

thank god for the internet and sorry for your stressful situation...

I agree it is silly that they even think you know everything about what to/not to eat taking folic acid etc.

FF has predicted my due date at 30th April, when you do actually get this confirmed?
I ask way too many questions lol

hi hun and welcome

you will need a booking appointment with the midwife when they take history and bloods and also give you loads of information leaflets this is normally around 10-12 weeks , then you will have the 12 week scan

this is my forth pregnancy and ive not seen anyone at all yet ive got my booking and scan on the same day at 12+6

why dont you give the midwives a call yourself, they may make you a slightly earlier appt if you explain that its your first and you would like to be seen

at least we all have each other here on BNB hey!!

congrats on the pregnacy i hope its a healthy happy 9 months !!!:hugs:

p.s you will get a confirmation at 12 weeks scan of DD xx

Hi you should see your midwife at roughly 8 weeks where she will go through paperwork bloods ectect.
I would defenitly call your midwife and make ure she refers you to your scan at 12 weeks as there have been some people that dont get a scan untill 17 weeks.

I had my booking in appointment (first appointment) with the midwife on the same day as my 12 week scan. First the scan, then the midwife. So not seeing them until 12 weeks seems pretty normal to me.

If you have any questions you can pop into a pharmacy or book an appointment with your GP. I booked mine with a GP to get the pregnancy confirmed, but I couldn't actually produce a urine sample, so that didn't work! They didn't think confirmation was needed, as long as I got a couple of positives at home. So it seems that until you're 12 weeks they don't really care that much, probably mostly because there isn't much they can do.

hi heidi,
congratulations on your pg!
i think that's rubbish too and i would be really annoyed. i think you should see the midwife around the 8 week mark - i would definately call the midwife if you have her number or else see the dr. i went to see the dr when i found out (bit pointless i now realise as he did nothing!) but it is good to get it down on your records and if you are on any medication you can discuss that etc. he told me i should sort a midwife appt. out ASAP and i was only 5 weeks. i have on booked for friday when i will be 8+1...
hope you have a happy and healthy pg,
take care,
love kristen xx

https://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev097pr___.png

Thanks girls, i dont think its so much the waiting till 12 weeks but the fact no one could tell me a straight answer as to when i will get an appointment booked.
Also reading on here ladies saying they heard HB at 8-9 weeks, which made me wonder why also.
I can see why people book early scans.

i think i will call the MW.

The heartbeats heard that early are usually heard at home through a doppler. Though most manuals say to use it from 12 weeks on as you might not be able to find a hb before that (baby too low down).
Some ladies (me included) did get an early scan on which they can see the heartbeat, though even though I've had 3 scans (2 in England, 1 in Holland) and 2 midwife appointments (1 in England, 1 in Holland) I still haven't heard a heartbeat through any of the 'official' sources, just at home.

Thank you for your help Erised x

Hope you get somewhere by calling your midwife, even an early booking in appointment will help put your mind at ease a little bit.
If not though, I know the first few weeks drag like no-ones business and last forever. It does start going quicker, and you will make progress. And while you're waiting and slowly going insane, your little one is growing inside you so when you do see him/her there will actually be something to see! ;)

It gets easier, and the appointments do come along. I really hope you won't have to wait until 12 weeks, but if you do, you'll be ok.

Hi there and congrats i went to doctor today and she didnt say much really just sent of midwife form and ill hear from her in 2 weeks im 6+5 so looks like i might not see her untill im 9 weeks pregnant.x

Its coz the midwives are so busy, they don't want to see people until they are further on as unfortunatley a lot of pregancies don't make it past the 12 week mark. If they saw everyone from 4 or 5 weeks onwards thos ein later pregnancies wouldnt be able to get appointments when they needed them. And they would be doing a lot of unnecessary paperwork (harsh reality but true). Its hard waiting to see the midwife especially with your first but as someone else said at least you can use babyandbump for info in the mean time. Im on my 3rd baby and ive barely seen a midwife at all as u see them less in subsequent pregnancies. Wait till youve had the baby - the health visitor doesnt do half the baby and infant development checks they used to!

I can completely understand how busy MW can be and that they can't do a great deal right now, i'm just getting contradicting information from the stupid receptionists. ( i had the same problem when i was going for blood come to think of it)
Lets hope i hear some thing in the next couple of weeks about an appointment, but yeh might just call MW to confirm a few things with her :)

With out BnB i would be lost, its good to hear other peoples experiences when i have no clue lol :hugs:

Congrats and welcome to first tri :hugs: sorry I don't know much about the way things are done over there...

I'm in exactly he same situation. I made a docs appointment and he suggested I buy a book and keep my fingers x'd. My first appointment is in my 12th week with the MW. No advice nada.....nothing....!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->