So anxious about possible Gestational Diabetes - Why won't they test now??

Trixter

Reaction score
I was told a few weeks ago that because I have PCOS I have a raised risk of Gestational Diabetes.

I'm now over 4 months pregnant but they won't test me until 6 months pregnant, she said that was normal time to test.

But it's ruining my peace of mind right now. I'm just feeling sure I have it and it's making me so nervous instead of relaxing and enjoying my pregnancy. I worry about adapting to a low carb diet in the sense that I'm vegetarian and so many of my meals used to be veg and carb based. More than that, just worried about risk to baby. I haven't had increased thirst and I've felt generally well and been exercising - however I do need to urinate a lot.

I worry about getting my diet safe, I worry about my baby being harmed. I'm very frustrated I have to wait another two and half months to be tested :(

They're not testing early, because PCOS is a pretty common condition to have and you're showing no symptoms of gestational diabetes. Early onset is also not massively common, which is why they only test later on in the pregnancy.

Your bladder needing to be emptied frequently is simply a normal pregnancy sign. Everything inside is growing, starting to squish your bladder and on top of that your hormone levels are changing causing muscles to relax more - including your bladder.

Eat normally, trying to stick yourself on a diet right now that you're not comfortable with will only put more pressure on yourself. If you do develop gestational diabetes you'll be able to tell, and you'll be able to tell way before your baby gets put in harms way. Your baby is incredibly resilient, and if you just keep going like normal your body will look after baby before it will look after you. Relax, enjoy your baby and trust yourself that you WILL spot symptoms and find treatment *if* (and that's a big if) you do get gestational diabetes.

For what it's worth, I've got PCOS too and am classed obese (pretty much critically obese - hate the system!). I've got 3 gorgeous, healthy girls with 3 easy, complication free pregnancies and uncomplicated labours. Non of my girls were big, in fact they were tiny but completely healthy (6lbs 6oz, 7lbs, 6lbs 2oz - born at 40+2, 41+6, 41+5). PCOS is definitely not a certain sentence for gestational diabetes, nor is being overweight.

Erised - Thank you so much for your reply. Means a lot.
I appreciate it more than you know because in my head I'm worrying and Google only offers me horror stories.

I shall try not to worry. I'll eat a good diet but not go crazy with it.

I'll just have to be patient and wait until testing in March.

You mentioned that I'd know or have symptoms if I had GB....I guess I can discount my frequently urinating as that could be pregnancy. Should I look out for anything else?

I'm so happy for you to hear all your pregnancies have been smooth and healthy :) :)

Thanks again!

I was tested at 16 weeks due to increased thirst and previous big baby. It was negative. Tested again at 28 weeks just because it's standard as my last baby was huge and it was positive and I was diagnosed with GD. So I didn't actually have it when they tested early. Baby is fine, measuring slightly big but not ginormous and I probably had GD in my last pregnancy that was never diagnosed yet despite being massive my little boy is fine. He's actually a fairly average size now too, he levelled out. Even now I'm diagnosed as GD I pretty much avoid really sweet stuff in large amounts such as loads of chocolate and my readings have all been normal. Got through Christmas fine and still had mince pies, chocolate in moderation, Christmas pudding etc. I've even had dominoes pizza for tea and reading still normal. So really what I'm trying to say is eat healthily, don't go mad on sweets, chocs and carbs and even if you do have GD chances are you'll be fine, and it's likely to not even develop until later on anyway.

I was tested at 16 weeks due to increased thirst and previous big baby. It was negative. Tested again at 28 weeks just because it's standard as my last baby was huge and it was positive and I was diagnosed with GD. So I didn't actually have it when they tested early. Baby is fine, measuring slightly big but not ginormous and I probably had GD in my last pregnancy that was never diagnosed yet despite being massive my little boy is fine. He's actually a fairly average size now too, he levelled out. Even now I'm diagnosed as GD I pretty much avoid really sweet stuff in large amounts such as loads of chocolate and my readings have all been normal. Got through Christmas fine and still had mince pies, chocolate in moderation, Christmas pudding etc. I've even had dominoes pizza for tea and reading still normal. So really what I'm trying to say is eat healthily, don't go mad on sweets, chocs and carbs and even if you do have GD chances are you'll be fine, and it's likely to not even develop until later on anyway.

Thank you Broodymrs. It's good to hear the experiences of others. And also especially good to hear that with GD your babies were all fine and healthy.

I'm keeping up with regular exercise and cutting down on sugar, still eating some bread but instead of white, having seeded wholemeal brown slices etc. I try and get in good portions of veg too with meals.

I think because I noticed me using the toilet more lately I felt it was a bad sign, because I didn't notice that much in first tri and I've noticed it more now in my second.

I guess it's a waiting game. I just want my baby to be fine, and also because I'm so short (5foot!) definitely feel concerned at idea of baby being especially large etc.

I had GD and had a lovely pregnancy and perfectly healthy little girl. When you do the urine tests for your me they check for excess sugar so if nothing's flagged there that's a good thing.

Frequent urination is typical in any pregnancy so don't think if that as a GD only symptom.

For now just focus on being healthy, you can add protein to your diet in the form of nut butters and beans if you want to try to vary your diet a little as a precaution, other than that the best thing to maintain your sugar levels is light exercise like a 20 min walk after you eat.

I had GD and had a lovely pregnancy and perfectly healthy little girl. When you do the urine tests for your me they check for excess sugar so if nothing's flagged there that's a good thing.

Frequent urination is typical in any pregnancy so don't think if that as a GD only symptom.

For now just focus on being healthy, you can add protein to your diet in the form of nut butters and beans if you want to try to vary your diet a little as a precaution, other than that the best thing to maintain your sugar levels is light exercise like a 20 min walk after you eat.

Thank you :) Appreciate your reply. It's always nice hearing that even with GD, pregnancy can be healthy and normal.

I'm making small adjustments to my diet, and several times a week going for long walks - in hill areas so it gets my heart going lol

Midwife did take a urine test and it showed 1 on sugar. It pretty much started off my worrying. She just said it was because I had just literally had a breakfast before coming in to see her but obviously it's made me worried.

Nothing I can do until March, to know for sure I guess..

Thank you Broodymrs. It's good to hear the experiences of others. And also especially good to hear that with GD your babies were all fine and healthy.

I'm keeping up with regular exercise and cutting down on sugar, still eating some bread but instead of white, having seeded wholemeal brown slices etc. I try and get in good portions of veg too with meals.

I think because I noticed me using the toilet more lately I felt it was a bad sign, because I didn't notice that much in first tri and I've noticed it more now in my second.

I guess it's a waiting game. I just want my baby to be fine, and also because I'm so short (5foot!) definitely feel concerned at idea of baby being especially large etc.

My midwife said if you get two readings in a row with sugar in your urine they send you for a gtt anyway. If you are diagnosed you'll then get growth scans every 2-4 weeks so you'll have an idea of birth weight and they'll induce early/do a section if you're showing as being really big. Don't worry, if you're getting tested at some point and being healthy now all will be fine.

Thought it might help to post some of the foods I ate with GD to show that your diet can still be varied and yummy even if you are diagnosed.

First carbs are not supposed to be cut out, they're an important part of a healthy varied diet. You just need to be more thoughtful of which carbs you choose and what you have with them.

Look up low GI foods as those are the carbs you want to eat.

Wholegrain breads, the darker the better. I loved rye bread with cottage cheese as a filling snack.

Wholewheat pasta and brown rice instead of white rice and pasta.

Honey instead of sugar if you must have sugar in tea.

Pair carbs with protein as the protein helps to break down the sugars: whole grain toast with beans or scrambled egg, Apple slices with peanut butter.

Sweet potato instead of regular potatoes, you can have sweet potato crisps, fries, mash or baked with cheese/beans/ vegetable chilli....

Most supermarkets in the prepared veg section sell pots of squash or sweet potato noodles now so you can make a quick 'pasta' dish without any actual pasta.

Where possible lean towards veg rather than fruit as fruit can be very high sugar. If you like smoothies you can add kale, beetroot, carrots instead of banana or orange which are higher sugar.

Greek yoghurt is great, full fat, no added sugar stuff. It's High protein and fat both of which help to reduce your sugar levels. You can add stewed fruit or berries, put some oats in and refrigerate overnight to make bircher muesli, add some spices like cinnamon or nutmeg and it's delicious.

My 'treat' food was nutella which is much lower in the GI list than chocolate but still satisfied the sweet tooth.

Wow, thanks for that. That's so helpful to know. I really want to do my best with eating the right things. I'll try and incorporate your suggestions.

Is all cereal bad? I'll miss my morning cereal with hot milk lol.

Wow, thanks for that. That's so helpful to know. I really want to do my best with eating the right things. I'll try and incorporate your suggestions.

Is all cereal bad? I'll miss my morning cereal with hot milk lol.

Not all cereal is bad ...but... Most have lots of sugar in, same with low fat yoghurts. If you like it then the bran flakes and things like that are good, I think it tastes like cardboard but each to their own :D

I had GD and even if you do have it, there is still a lot you can eat.... and knowing how to pair things. Peanut butter is like a staple. The only bread I could eat without spiking my sugars was Sarah Lee 45 calorie bread (didn't taste bad at all) and I ate a lot of egg salad sandwiches lol ... cheese sticks, small portions of fruits like a bunch of grapes or small banana with peanut butter .... sugar free pudding as a dessert...

It'll be a little tougher since your a vegetarian, but don't think you have to cut out carbs... it's about moderation and pairing them and finding what works for you. I found I couldn't eat any white potato but for some reason a small portion of red potato was okay.

Just eat healthy and don't worry too much right now about the test until you take it. Baby will be fine :)

Thank you so much. Really appreciate your response. Still feel nervous about it all but I'm trying to eat healthier and at least the midwife will be testing me in March. Fingers crossed all is okay!

If you do get diagnosed, it's not the end of the world :) GD is different from type 1 and 2, carbs are actually essential for bubs growth and development. But it's about choosing the right type of low GI carbs that keep your blood sugars stable.

You often hear people say they got fine levels while eating white bread, deserts, potatoes etc. This is because they have spiked their levels early by eating high GI then crashed, and they test their sugars during the crash. So they think their levels are stable. It's actually very dangerous for baby as they have to produce their own insulin to compensate and they can have complications after birth.

Hopefully you don't have it! But I have found it to be a blessing in disguise to be honest, and it's great not putting on weight in pregnancy ;)

If you do get diagnosed, it's not the end of the world :) GD is different from type 1 and 2, carbs are actually essential for bubs growth and development. But it's about choosing the right type of low GI carbs that keep your blood sugars stable.

You often hear people say they got fine levels while eating white bread, deserts, potatoes etc. This is because they have spiked their levels early by eating high GI then crashed, and they test their sugars during the crash. So they think their levels are stable. It's actually very dangerous for baby as they have to produce their own insulin to compensate and they can have complications after birth.

Hopefully you don't have it! But I have found it to be a blessing in disguise to be honest, and it's great not putting on weight in pregnancy ;)

Thanks so much for that. I appreciate it.
I'm just trying to adapt my diet and doing well so far (I think!?!) I'm still hoping I don't have it, but I've managed to stop all the anxiety I had about it. Me worrying was silly really. I can only do my best.

Thanks so much for that. I appreciate it.
I'm just trying to adapt my diet and doing well so far (I think!?!) I'm still hoping I don't have it, but I've managed to stop all the anxiety I had about it. Me worrying was silly really. I can only do my best.

Absolutely! I hope you don't have it either. I was absolutely devastated when diagnosed, they found out early at 19 weeks. I didn't have it in my previous pregnancy. But where I live, it's becoming common as they have decreased the range of diagnosis as there is a better outcome for mum and babies. It did take me a few weeks to come to terms with it though. Best of luck!

I was told a few weeks ago that because I have PCOS I have a raised risk of Gestational Diabetes.

I'm now over 4 months pregnant but they won't test me until 6 months pregnant, she said that was normal time to test.

But it's ruining my peace of mind right now. I'm just feeling sure I have it and it's making me so nervous instead of relaxing and enjoying my pregnancy. I worry about adapting to a low carb diet in the sense that I'm vegetarian and so many of my meals used to be veg and carb based. More than that, just worried about risk to baby. I haven't had increased thirst and I've felt generally well and been exercising - however I do need to urinate a lot.

I worry about getting my diet safe, I worry about my baby being harmed. I'm very frustrated I have to wait another two and half months to be tested :(

Almost exactly the same here! I have PCOS, I'm overweight and woori d about GD too. I have a few more symptoms, excessive thirst, really tired and frequently urinating. I'm also vegetarian and would love more tips on healthy eating if I do end up with GD.

Sarah xxx

Why don't you just get a drug store glucose monitor and you can check yourself every so often for peace of mind. That's what I did during my pregnancy. I have PCOS and family history of diabetes so I was worried, but I actually never got it. But checking myself helped me feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->