So confused about weight gain, what has your OB/MW said?

gypsymom

Reaction score
So i'm reading all these posts about weight gain and what is healthy and I am beyond confused...also living in the US i have no idea what you UK ladies mean by measuring your weight stones, what is the conversion to pounds out of curiosity...

Anyway, my ob has said they want women to gain 15 pounds by 20 weeks and then a pound a week ofter for a total of 35 pounds, 40 max....and I'm on track with that...but then I read about women on here who have only gained 8 pounds at 20 weeks and i get so confused...is it just that every women's different, or is there a set weight gain guide we should follow? I mean, I was very slender to being with so I popped early and I think the majority of my weight gain is LO and water weight, but I'm still confused.

The stone thing confused me too!!! I believe it's 14 lbs = 1 stone.

I started out overweight (BMI 29 @ 5'2" I started out 157lbs about a size 12) almost obese. Normal women they told me they would encourage to gain 25-35 lbs. Underweight women more. Overweight they said was 15-25lbs, and obese was 15lbs. I was told to shoot for 15lbs since I was boderline. So far I've gained 5 lbs, which is where they want me to be. If your ob is happy with you then keep doing what you're doing :) Hope this helps

It all depends on how big you were to start (the guidelines which is what you were given) but also everyone is different. Like I was overweight to begin with not by tons or anything but I'm like a size 14 and 5'4, I'm 19wks and have lost 17lbs...not gained anything. My midwife (also in the US) is not at all concerned and said she wouldn't be even if I lost the entire pregnancy because the baby is growing just fine and developing.

I am on the other end of gaining. I am almost 25 weeks and have gained over 30 lbs. I am 5'10 and was 154 when I got bfp. While I am mortified- my ob is not concerned at all. I am assuming bc I am so tall and still active- I go to the damn gym almost everyday and keep gaining. I am a true believer in the opinion that everyone is different and normal is different for different people. As long as your ob is not concerned, then all is good imo.

I heard 5 pounds in first trimester, 1 pound for every week of second trimester, then the rest of the weight (between 20-30 pounds total) is put on in third trimester.

So far I'm 18 weeks and gained I'm guessing about 7 pounds, so I'm not quite sticking to it, but my bump hasn't started yet either.

If you're overweight, it's completely different though.

I asked my midwife what i should be gaining and she said she doesn't have a clue! Some women gain lots some dont, and as lonng as I'm eating normally then be happy with whatever I am or not gaining!! Everyone is different and there isnt a set target, most of those trackers a rubbish.

My first pregnancy I've gained 76 lbs. My baby was a healthy boy when he came out. 7 & 3 lbs and 21 inches. I lost 50 to 60 lbs and I'm pregnant again.

Try this link i found for a weight calculator, its quite helpfull
just click on the tab for the weight gain calculator xx
https://www.gurgle.com/tools/duedate_calendar/default.aspx

I don't think you'd be fair to yourself to try to hit any particular number. . everyone is so different . . . at 16 weeks (last weeks checkup) I had gained a total of 6 pound which puts me right on target for 25-30 for the entire pregnancy. With my last pregnancy I gained 44 lbs but was able to lose all but the last 10 pounds (my vanity pounds :) )
I think as long as you are eating healthy and getting your body moving then you'll put on what your body needs to put on. Keeping in mind that you only need about 300 extra calories each day. .which works out to the below examples. . . (Less calories if you start out heavier, and more calories if you are considered underweight)

•1 cup of non-fat fruit yogurt and a medium apple
•1 piece of whole wheat toast spread with 2 tablespoons peanut butter
•1 cup of beef and bean chili sprinkled with 1/2 ounce cheddar cheese
•1 cup of raisin bran cereal with 1/2 cup of non-fat milk and a small banana
•3 ounces roasted lean ham or chicken breast and 1/2 cup sweet potatoes
•1 flour tortilla (7-inch), 1/2 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup cooked broccoli, and 1/2 cup cooked red pepper.

I've often wondered about this too. I started out 185lbs pre-pregnancy then first trimester hit and I lost 16 lbs.. That put me at 169 and even when I was trying to lose weight previously never could get down that low always stopped at like 174 pre-pregnancy. Now I'm at 176.2 and haven't really gained in like 3 weeks. Its been hovering between 174-176.8 (176.8 was the highest I seen in the past 3 weeks). I haven't thrown up in awhile so I am not sure why I'm not gaining pounds even tho the spare tire to me seems like its growing by the minute. But the last appointment I had with her she didn't seem to concerned that I lost that much. To be honest if at this point the weight that I do gain is baby weight, maybe it will jump start my weight loss after this (I can hope) Ultimately I'd like to get back to being at least 150lbs of which I am not too far off.

If you start bigger then the weight gain is less.

I've lost 15 lbs then gained back 5, so I'm actually smaller then when I got pregnant by 10lbs. My doctor is ok with this. She said at my BMI (which is heavier) I should gain 15-20 lbs total & most of this should be at closer to the end of pregnancy.

I think everyone is different & unless you are gaining a lot or loosing a lot you shouldn't be overly concerned. Your body sometimes knows what's best.

I'm 24 weeks and havent gained any weight! Well in first tri i lost 1/2 stone (no morning sickness) :S and now i'm back to my normal pre-pregnancy weight at 10 1/2 stone, so i guess ive put on 1/2 a stone if that makes sense :S

my midwife hasnt said anything to me at all about weight gain at all.. she said most people dont gain in the first 20 weeks but do in the last 20...

and that everything is fine, from all the online cals it says that i should put on 15lbs min by the end of the pregnancy .. I cant rememeber the max weight to put on tho ..

so far iv gained nothing and shes not concerned.

i know alot of woman worry about there bodys. but theres bount to be some change in your body weithers its stretch marks or weight gain. thats part of what having babies are about. guidlines are there for a bit of support not to make you worry. enjoy your pregnancy. as when babys born, the weight gives you a target to work towards. main thing is babys healthy when born x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->