So confused with dates

LulaBug

Mum of 6
Reaction score
My last period was 19th June and based on a 33 day cycle which I usually average, I'd put myself at 8 weeks today.

I had an early scan which was given as I was having some pains and they wanted to rule out ectopic and the baby is measuring at this point at 6+4. I'm confused...I got my BFP nearly 4 weeks ago and surely it'd have been way too early at this point to do a test?

Could it be when I go for my 12 week scan on the 28th September, that the baby will measure ahead and that it's only really a sort of estimated guess at the gestational age? I saw the sac which the baby is being fed from etc, but I'm just so confused with the dates.

On a cute note, the due date now at this point, based on baby's GA is 10th April, my mums birthday :)

I had a scan at 7+1 and they put me back to 6 weeks. I've just had my 12 week scan and the dates are 1 day ahead of my last period. I know that early scans can't accurately predict the dates And they can only be accurate at the 12 week scan. Xx

That's what I'm kind of hoping is the case and I'll be back up to where I think I should be at again. It's so frustrating lol! x

Same happened to me at 6 week scan then at 12 weeks I was scanning more weeks try not to worry X

Feeling so lost. I don't really know when this baby is due and it's bugging me :(

I went for my 12 week scan yesterday (12 weeks from lmp - i knew when i ovulated and i was guessing 11 weeks) and got put back to 10+2. The sonographer wasn't worried but I know how frustrating it is not knowing. I'm hoping that when I have my rescan in 2 weeks the baby will be measuring where it should be or further along than the 12+2 they're thinking - ultrasounds are definitely just a guess when its early on. Anyway, it wont be long until you know for sure, try not to worry :hugs:

Oh man. That's a long time to wait for a follow-up scan. I've been there and it drives you crazy!

When you had the scan and the baby was measuring 6+4, did they hear a healthy heartbeat? Also, did they specify whether they meant the baby itself was 6+4 or if that were dating you're pregnancy at 6+4? Since normally pregnancies are dated going by the last menstrual period (or estimating that date if they're unsure) you are technically pregnant for two weeks before your baby is even conceived. Meaning that you could be 8 weeks pregnant, but the baby itself has only been growing for 6 weeks. Sometimes this causes confusion, though doctors usually default and only refer to the baby and pregnancy according to the LMP just to keep things simple. If they got mixed up, though, that could account for the two week difference.

It's not anything to be overly concerned about, up to 10 days either way in early scans is considered completely normal. I was put back 10 days exactly at my first early scan, yet by my dating scan I was ahead by a week. In all my healthy pregnancies none of the early scans have been right on dates. They are trying to measure something so tiny that it really isn't all that accurate. That's why they still use lmp to estimate due dates up till your dating scan. It's annoying though I know! Good luck for your next scan.

I would go by your LMP and then wait and see what happens at your scan. I know how frustrating it is waiting though!

Oh man. That's a long time to wait for a follow-up scan. I've been there and it drives you crazy!

When you had the scan and the baby was measuring 6+4, did they hear a healthy heartbeat? Also, did they specify whether they meant the baby itself was 6+4 or if that were dating you're pregnancy at 6+4? Since normally pregnancies are dated going by the last menstrual period (or estimating that date if they're unsure) you are technically pregnant for two weeks before your baby is even conceived. Meaning that you could be 8 weeks pregnant, but the baby itself has only been growing for 6 weeks. Sometimes this causes confusion, though doctors usually default and only refer to the baby and pregnancy according to the LMP just to keep things simple. If they got mixed up, though, that could account for the two week difference.

Yeah, there was a heartbeat which is why I'm not overly worried. She said everything looked as it should, the only thing that got to me was being put back. She said that baby's CRL was 7.3mm which was the same measurement as a 6+4 embryo. By my dates, I'd have been approx 12 weeks in 3 weeks and I was going to be going for my scan on the 13th, now because of this difference, it's been pushed back to the 28th.

I just don't know where I am, I suppose I do have a rough idea but not knowing exactly how far along I am until the 28th next month is just bothering me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->