So frustrated - veggies and fruits!

lanaross

Mom to Bella and Greyson
Reaction score
Bella doesn't eat veggies. Or fruits. She used to and now no matter what I do and how I cook them, she just drops them all on the floor and keeps going after meat and chicken. What gives? I even tried stir fry so she tastes meat but it still ended up on the floor. When we started BLW, she was fine eating all veggies and fruits and now it's a nightmare! I still combine TW and BLW and I guess I do sneak some veggies in in a jar. Both OH and I love fruits and veggies, we never really fought it as kids, so I don't really understand where this is coming from.

My boys were the same many years ago took a long time for them to accept fruit and veggies. Keep offering them, the only suggestion is to blitz them and add them to a tomato sauce with pasta (veggies).

but she ate it before that's what I don't get. Once I started introducing meats/chicken/pastas, she just goes after that instead of fruits and veggies. I am so confused, I wouldn't in a million years know how to deal with a picky eater, I don't know anybody who is picky!

but she ate it before that's what I don't get. Once I started introducing meats/chicken/pastas, she just goes after that instead of fruits and veggies. I am so confused, I wouldn't in a million years know how to deal with a picky eater, I don't know anybody who is picky!

This is what happens if something tastier take their fancy.. how about trying her with the veggies/fruit first then offer the meat to see if it will encourage her to try them.?

Ha didn't think of that. I usually just dump everything together and let her pick :) Maybe should also put cheese sauce or something on veggies. I think she doesn't even like the texture. The only fruits she wants to eat are apples and grapes, both are chocking hazard. Figures.

Hi Hun, I don't have advise, Omar was eating everything when we started weaning, but now he's very picky & it's getting worse. I don't offer him alternatives anymore, if he refuses to eat, I wait until he comes to me and ask for food. He will eat when he's hungry

She might be going through a growth spurt and need the protein and carbs more than what she'd get out of fruit and veg. Ronan goes through phases like that too, although admittedly he does love his fruit.

If you're really concerned, try making a pasta sauce with a ton of different veg in it and then blend it down smooth, or like you said, try a cheese sauce.

As for grapes, Ronan loves them too. I just cut or bite them in half for him and if they're small grapes, just break the skin with my teeth.

I also tend to give him food in 'courses' as too much at once overwhelms him and he ends up just tossing things on the floor. :rolleyes:

Omar hates fruits, he only eats green apples & rassberries as they'r sour. He hates all sweet fruits. He was fine with them. Omar is eating more dairy recently & he's ok with protien like eggs & meat. According to his Dr. they eat food they need only, this is why they go through phases of preferring certain types of food. Omar is teething non stop but he only have 4 teeth, so his body needs the extra calcium, this is why he's eating lots of cheese & yoghurt.

Eating a food then going off it is totally, utterly, normal baby / toddler / child behaviour I'm afraid. Ruby was/is the same, she used to like loads of different veg but now we're down to only broccoli, or anything blended as a pasta sauce!

Connor loves his meat and carbs too. I started doing things in courses as well, because he would always choose meat over veggies.
I start with veggies, then give him the meat and carbs. Fruit ends the meal as a dessert!

When my son was a lot younger, he suddenly became very picky. Its a nightmare.

I used to have to hide veggies/fruits in other stuff, which he did eat, but the older he got, the wiser he got (I know there are carrots in there!!) :haha:

He just simply refused to eat them, but I made him sit there with what Id made, even though he didnt eat all of it, he knew there wasnt an alternative, and I think thats the best way to deal with it. :flower:

With the fruit you could maybe try blending the softer fruits down and mix it with greek yogurt? Least that way she'll be getting the goodness of it?
I do that with lots of veggies to put in sauces when Charlie decides he doesn't want whole veg - atm it's baby sweetcorn and mange tout he's loving, but he eats them raw! Maybe you could try her with some (suitable) raw veg?

I don't have a kiddo yet, but my nutrition professor gave some advice to new parents in class the other day and it sounded like a good idea! Don't give them all the food at the same time because they will only eat their favorites. Start off by only giving them one option, just some broccoli or whatever vegetable you want them to eat. They are more likely to eat it if they don't have any other options. Then once they have eaten some fruit and veggies you can give them the meat and stuff that they like most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->