So glad I'm not alone

Thurinius

Reaction score
I haven't been here for a while.
But I'm having such issues with my 5 yo I thought I'd pop back.

Boy I'm glad I did because reading through the thread it's clear I am not alone in having a troublesome 5 yo. I feel so much better now.
I have to go talk to his teacher's tomorrow re his silly behaviour and I am so embarrassed. He has a 7 yo autistic brother and I expect to get called in for him. But not for my younger son.

We've only been back at school 3 weeks and I've had a letter from the head re him & his buddies throwing stones over the school hedge. I've had a phone call that he'd been pulling his trousers down and thought it was funny and didn't understand that he shouldn't. And now he apparently doesn't listen and shouts out silly words.

Every morning he says he hates school and he has to be physically prised off me.
I think it stems from a lack of confidence in his reading/writing, he's also mega sensative and every emotion he has is manifesting as rage.
Generally he is a sweet funny boy. Very imaginative and lots of fun.
I guess it's also attention seeking.

Any advice on getting him to not crave attention by doing silly acts playing up to his friends?

I probably havent really got much advice to offer but wanted to let you know you are not alone and hopefully with the teachers input things will improve. The last term of reception and first few weeks in year 1 have been difficult for my 5year old. He is quite sensitive and a bit too easily influenced and has been in trouble for climbing to the top of the school fence trying to escape with his friend and shouting to passerbys to help them get out 😱

At playtime his age group seem to be engaging in a lot more play fighting aswell which has been difficult for my 5 year old as he is one of the youngest in his year and hasnt really grasped ‘rough housing’.

I had a couple of meetings with the teacher and a discussion with the head of infants and things are improving. They talked to the class in general about fighting/play fighting and the rocket system they have in place for behaviour worked for my ds after the attempted escape incident.

DS also lacks confidence and is a bit insecure. Its taken weeks of us trying to boost his confidence and alot of chats with him about general school play/whats acceptable/when to approach the teacher but its finally paying off. The big step for me was realising that straight after school was not the best time to broach the subject with him and ask about his day. We find if we talk an hour or so before bedtime hes had chance to reharge and is ready to talk about his day and figure things out.

Thanks Sezzlou

I just had the meeting at the school and it was very positive. I told them how sensitive my son is and how I think it's all bravado.
We discussed steps to help him settle in. And they are going to work with him in expressing his emotions. At the moment it all comes out as anger and later he'll admit he was scared or worried
And they are going to keep me informed. He has been much happier this week, much less stroppy.

My 5 year old son is also having some behavioral issues. Glad I'm not alone either!

He's been in trouble for throwing rocks and sticks on the playground, and general "messing with" other kids (poking, talking out of turn, etc). He only goes once a week (we homeschool, it's an enrichment class) and he's thrown rocks and/or sticks every time they've gone outside, and ran from the teachers when they called him over after.

Academically he's on par for kindergarten or even more advanced than some, but socially I'm not sure he's that mature yet. I'm thinking of pulling him from the class, because it's purely optional (gives me a break). I've contacted his teachers about working out a solution, but I am thinking he just isn't ready yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->